Steam - 10-90% off everything

Well, looks like it might finally be time to take a Steamy plunge...I almost bit when they had the Rockstar Collection on sale, but BioShock for $5? I played through most of the game already, but don't mind at all to support games that I enjoy. I'll do the same thing for GTA IV; it truly is an amazing experience on PC if you have the horsepower to run it well. Wonder if it's less than a 13.85GB download on Steam :eek:

I have a couple of questions though:
- Are the games generally compatible with mods? I saw earlier where someone was able to use the ZDoom launcher with the Steam version of Doom. What about games with mods that boost texture resolution and add vehicles/maps/etc.? Do you have to launch the game through a Steam executable or do you have a copy of all of the original game files on your hard drive? Not sure I'm asking this very clearly, and it probably depends on the mod...

- Are those indie games recommended? i-Fluid looks like it could be fun for $5, and Trials 2 looks pretty cool. Haven't seen very many people talking about anything but BioShock, Doom, Portal, and L4D though :p

Just saw your post, Nemesis. Let me know what you think of i-Fluid.

Mount and Blade is a great indie game to pick up for 14 bucks or so on sale.

the developers are still constantly working on it and releasing updates and are planning Multiplayer support in the future.

Mount and Blade is a great indie game to pick up for 14 bucks or so on sale.

the developers are still constantly working on it and releasing updates and are planning Multiplayer support in the future.

How is it overall in your opinion? I was thinking of picking it up myself.
:)

Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to play it as of yet. I have been occupied with some classic Doom :D. I will give it a spin later tonight as I was a big Desktop Tower Defense fan. I am about to play I-Fluid and back to some classic ID games. I have no idea when I will even start with Bioshock and Fallout 3. Guess I am not bored anymore. :cool:
LOL, I bought BioShock back during the $15 dollar teal and haven't finished it I've got so many games :( I can't decide if I'm upset or not for not holding out! Nah, it's good at any price...be ecstatic that you got it for the price of a cheeseburger. Damn, that's sick...

oh well, I'm interested in this i-fluid game. Reviews were kinda meh on the boards, so I'm not sure. And I'd also like to know this defense grid.

Hell, my wife just went to work...everyone keep posting all your $4.99 picks and under cuz I'm on a fucking spending spreeeeeeeee.

BTW, steam games have always been fully compatible with mods to my knowledge. Never come across one that hasn't been.
I've installed like 10 different mods for Stalker since the 4.99 deal and no problems at all. In fact, I even have a way to update it to 1.006 but Valve deleted the thread...shall I post it?

Hell, my wife just went to work...everyone keep posting all your $4.99 picks and under cuz I'm on a fucking spending spreeeeeeeee.

Luxor 2 is definitely worth the .99 cents, IMO. There's a demo on Steam if you want to try it.

Reaxxion is just too damn addictive! :eek: :p :D

I'm tempted to try out BioShock based on what many of you are saying. But I don't think I have enough horsepower. I have an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ (stock 2 GHz) w/ an NVidia 6800GT video card. :eek:

I'm tempted to try out BioShock based on what many of you are saying. But I don't think I have enough horsepower. I have an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ (stock 2 GHz) w/ an NVidia 6800GT video card. :eek:
Check the system requirements...but it doesn't matter. I mean you'll replace your vid card someday (right?) long before the price is back down to $5. It's normally $20, btw.

You can even use the $15 to get yourself a cheap pci-e ;)
You sound like me when everyone was posting about their whatevers and I came along with my 9800....radeon pro that is!

If you have sm 3.0 it'll work, but even if you dont, buy it and just wait till you can play it.

Trials 2 looks pretty cool.

Don't think twice. Buy Trials 2. I spent 10 bucks for it and have gotten well over my money's worth. As for mod support on other games, good question. I don't have a clue. At least get Trials though. You won't regret that purchase. The only thing that sucks about it is there is no track editor. I'm crossing my fingers for one in the future though. It's the perfect type of game for a level editor. It would increase an already high replay value.

Luxor 2 is definitely worth the .99 cents, IMO. There's a demo on Steam if you want to try it.
bah, if it's a buck, I'll just buy it...LOL!

OK all you OC'ers, get your asses down to Capt's and toss my wife some dollars so I can buy some more games...

and yes, steam games are compatible with mods

Check the system requirements...but it doesn't matter. I mean you'll replace your vid card someday (right?) long before the price is back down to $5. It's normally $20, btw.

You can even use the $15 to get yourself a cheap pci-e ;)
You sound like me when everyone was posting about their whatevers and I came along with my 9800....radeon pro that is!
My 6800GT is PCI-e, at least that's good, but I haven't upgraded the video card since I bought it in the Summer of 2005. :O I guess I'm (over)due. :) I'm sure BioShock would run, but I'd like to run it w/ eye candy turned on. :cool:

If you have sm 3.0 it'll work, but even if you dont, buy it and just wait till you can play it.
Yeah, I can buy it for $5 and just keep it in my Steam acct. until I'm ready to install it. On that note, are "Steam licenses" transferrable between PCs? I didn't read their FAQ, but just wondering if anyone has migrated their Steam games successfully (and legally).

You use the same Steam account between PCs. Just need to download the game again unless you manually copy over the game files.

You use the same Steam account between PCs. Just need to download the game again unless you manually copy over the game files.

Thanks, so that's why Steam needs to keep running in the background. That way, it'll know that you're already running one instance of a game and I assume wouldn't let you run the same game on another machine at the same time.

If you don't already have it, you need to get Chronicles of Riddick ASAP. One of the better games in recent memory, and my X2 4400+/1.5GB/6800GT AGP rig ran it extremely well.

I can tell these Steam deals will be bad for my wallet. There are new games at decent prices (Fallout 3 to name one) but I've already had the urge to re-buy games that I've already purchased just because they're on Steam. Doom, Half Life, and Deus Ex were so awesome, I don't really mind paying for them twice. ;) And I've always wanted to try HL: Source...

@imyourzero,

I wouldn't bother with Half:Life Source... all they really added was better water and some lighting effects I believe... nothing else was really updated, no textures or anything.

Anyways, along with my previous purchase of Indigo Prophecy, I'm also in for Trials 2, Reaxxion (a lot like Brick Breaker on my blackberry... but so much more fun:D ), and Darkstar One.... still have a couple days more to decide if I should get anything else, hehe.

Wait for the Black Mesa Source mod.

Oh yes, I'm eagerly awaiting that.

Just purchased Trials 2 for $2.49 to begin my journey with Steam...will come back for BioShock and more tomorrow after I get some sleep :D

If anyone's a fan of DX Ball or Breakout style games you should give the demo of Reaxxion a shot:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/15950

I saw it was 99 cents so I gave it a go, and within two levels I was sold. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and for 99 cents you can't go wrong.

I also picked up Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Ultimate Doom, and Doom 2 for 99 cents.

i had fun until i got to the boss lvl, it was pong for 10 minutes. i uninstalled at that point.

i had fun until i got to the boss lvl, it was pong for 10 minutes. i uninstalled at that point.

Yeah, that's my only complaint, I wish they'd some something a little more inspiring with the boss battles. However, it didn't take me 10 minutes to finish and there's only one after every 10 normal levels so it's not like you have to deal with them too often.

Alright. How would you all spend $50 to $100?
Depends on what you have...

If you don't already own the Valve Complete Pack then it's a no brainer.

I usually buy every .99 cent game, and think about all the 4.99 ones.
The expensive games I'd place on my list: Warhead, CoH/OF, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3...in that order.

Just picked up the id Super Pack for nostalgia, along with the fact that I can't find all of my original discs for some of those games. Also Bioshock, for $5 it's a no-brainer...I spend more than that each day on my lunch!

I'm going to buy another id Super Pack and Bioshock for a friend of mine who hasn't played Bioshock and spent quite a bit of time playing Doom and Quake II. I think he'll be pleased :D

Now just have to wait until the Eidos Collector Pack comes down some more and the Rockstar Collection goes on sale for 50% off again (man I knew I should have bitten on that!)

I've installed like 10 different mods for Stalker since the 4.99 deal and no problems at all. In fact, I even have a way to update it to 1.006 but Valve deleted the thread...shall I post it?

I would be interested in this! :D

I would be interested in this! :D
Here you go...I suggest copying this to a local text file...
How to install the 1.0006 patch onto a US Steam version:

NOTE: On Vista I ran this all as Administrator. You might want to as well (it may not work otherwise)

1. Run STALKER:SOC at least once to generate the required registry keys and get your CD key

2. Download the US 1.0005 to 1.0006 patch; it has the filename stk-npr-efis-patch-5-6.exe

3. Run regedit and browse to:
32 bit OS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GSC Game World\STALKER-SHOC
64 bit OS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GSC Game World\STALKER-SHOC

4. Modify the InstallVers key to read "1.0005" instead of "1.000500"

5. Create a new registry String (right click->New->String Value) named InstallLang

6. Double click the new InstallLang and enter en into the Value Data field.

7. Close regedit

8. Go to http://www.quickpar.org.uk/ and download and install QuickPar 0.9.1. This is the patcher that will transform your Steam exe into a retail 1.0005 exe

9. Go to http://rapidshare.com/files/177586807/XR_3DA.exe.SteamtoRetail.1.0005.PAR2.html to download the patch file. Put this file into your \steamapps\common\stalker shadow of chernobyl\bin folder.

10. Open the .PAR2 file with QuickPar and click the Repair button. You now have a retail 1.0005 exe!

11. Run the 1.0005 to 1.0006 patch.

12. We are not done yet! Some of the files (notably the BattlEye files) have been installed into Program Files. Browse to Program Files (or Program Files (x86) on 64 bit OSes) THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl and select all files and copy them to your \steamapps\common\stalker shadow of chernobyl folder, saying yes to overwriting folders.

13. Finally run the game through Steam and play multiplayer games!

How is it overall in your opinion? I was thinking of picking it up myself.
:)

Overall if you like a good action/strategy game it's something you'll enjoy a lot.

It's a mix of rpg/action/strategy. You build up your character via skills in aspects of combat and defense (IE weapon skills, mounted skills, defense, troop resources, etc) among other things.

The gameplay itself is where it shiens though. You can choose different factions to join or try and go it alone against them all and build your army up from a small band of fighters to a huge band of trained knights, archers, warriors, etc and claim your own castle and things.

The best part of the game is when you are fighting, the mounted combat and archery is some of the best in a game once you get used to it. Even though the game uses rpg elements to build your character the combat is all real time player controller (the skills affect things like your aiming, IE with ia box at lower skills you can't hold your aim as long and it doesn't load as quickly, etc).

In battles your order your own troops as well as fight yourself. You give them simple commands like stay here, follow me, charge, etc for each of the troop types or all of them. Such a blast to have your arochers behind you firing into a line of the enemy and then charging into the fray yourself with a bunch of other knights.

The graphics obviously arent' that great (Since the game is indie and was actually started by just two people) but if you care more about gamoeplay it's easily worth 14 buvks and some change.

They constantly update things in (better graphics, gameplay tweaks, new items/npc's, physics support is in now, etc) along with plans for multiplayer in the future.

There's also quite a few mods and things for it too, good community on their forums and modders.

Quick youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTUVfmE2ViQ

You can play the game up to lv 6 if you wanna give it a try, www.taleworlds.com

I was just wondering, what order do you have to play the two 99 cent HL games in to be chronological?

I was just wondering, what order do you have to play the two 99 cent HL games in to be chronological?

IIRC they are both set in the same time frame as HL. Each game is just from a different perspective of the Black Mesa incident.

With that said, I played through OpFor first because that is what came out first.

If you don't already have it, you need to get Chronicles of Riddick ASAP. One of the better games in recent memory, and my X2 4400+/1.5GB/6800GT AGP rig ran it extremely well.

I can tell these Steam deals will be bad for my wallet. There are new games at decent prices (Fallout 3 to name one) but I've already had the urge to re-buy games that I've already purchased just because they're on Steam. Doom, Half Life, and Deus Ex were so awesome, I don't really mind paying for them twice. ;) And I've always wanted to try HL: Source...

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked for CoR on Steam's site but couldn't find it there. :confused:

Depends on what you have...

If you don't already own the Valve Complete Pack then it's a no brainer.

I usually buy every .99 cent game, and think about all the 4.99 ones.
The expensive games I'd place on my list: Warhead, CoH/OF, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3...in that order.

I own a lot of the games in the Valve Complete pack (Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2, The Orange Box), so I'm not sure how great of a deal it is for me.

I own a retail copy of Warhead already, but I'll look at the others. Thanks. :)

meh warm deal, though i was going to get l4d for 5 bucks, its not even 10, 20, or 30 bucks! $37!++++

BTW, steam games have always been fully compatible with mods to my knowledge. Never come across one that hasn't been.

Mope, why doesn't steam update it to 1.006? Isn't it just a bug fix?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions (to everyone). I'll pick up Stalker and Portal...maybe more. Might buy Bioshock and return my year-old unopened Retail copy to Best Buy. Not sure I'll get the $20.00 I paid for it, but it's a store credit. Maybe I'll pick up GTA IV (kinda hoping it goes on sale). I have a $10.00 BB rewards card I need to use.

Mope, why doesn't steam update it to 1.006? Isn't it just a bug fix?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions (to everyone). I'll pick up Stalker and Portal...maybe more. Might buy Bioshock and return my year-old unopened Retail copy to Best Buy. Not sure I'll get the $20.00 I paid for it, but it's a store credit. Maybe I'll pick up GTA IV (kinda hoping it goes on sale). I have a $10.00 BB rewards card I need to use.
1.006 is a MP-only bugfix. It's not available on steam because it's not an official patch.

1.006 is a MP-only bugfix. It's not available on steam because it's not an official patch.

Thanks for the info....but now that I see Stalker is 18 bucks, I'll probably wait until it's on sale again.

I'll get Portal, BioShock and AudioSurf tomorrow. Gotta return my copy of Bioshock to BB first...don't feel like selling it on eBay.

Thanks for the info....but now that I see Stalker is 18 bucks, I'll probably wait until it's on sale again.

I'll get Portal, BioShock and AudioSurf tomorrow. Gotta return my copy of Bioshock to BB first...don't feel like selling it on eBay.
My posts are referring to Shadow of Chernobyl.
That's the $5 dollar deal (although it's up to $15).
I doubt it will go on sale again for a long time after it goes back up to $20 after the weekend; the $5 dollar price was due to last week's weekend deal.

The $18 dollar one you're talking about is Clear Sky.
I don't have any knowledge of that sequel.

I also don't remember how long the holiday sale is going to last...I wouldn't wait until tomorrow if you're talking about monday.

meh warm deal, though i was going to get l4d for 5 bucks, its not even 10, 20, or 30 bucks! $37!++++

You seriously expected to get a 2 month old game for $5?

Seriously?

Yah its short, but that's just unrealistic.

Back