Stealing in Oblivion

The18thLetter

[H]ard|Gawd
Just so you know: you're supposed to ALWAYS steal when you're crouching/creeping and can't be seen (I've never ever had problems with stealing because I always do it like this).

All those excuses/complaints about "psychic guards" are due to the fact that you were doing it standing up.
Granted, no one's around and they SHOULDN'T know that you stole something, but that's just the way it works.

So, next time you steal something, make sure you're creeping and can't be seen... then the complaints about "psychic guards" will go away.

That is all... so quit ya bitchin. :)

I walk into a shop and if I like what i see, i kill the shop owner and take everything.

The18thLetter said:
So, next time you steal something, make sure you're creeping and can't be seen... then the complaints about "psychic guards" will go away.

The other day I picked a lock without sneaking, but didn't realize it... Anyway, a bit later I was out in the lake and was looking for some pearls, I checked some clams, then BAM a guard was underwater in front of me... I was like wtf?

gurgle said:
I walk into a shop and if I like what i see, i kill the shop owner and take everything.

WORD. I own the game, I own everything and everyone inside of it.
That oblivian tard dont have access to console, I do.

Muahahahahahahaha!

/end role play.

J-Mag said:
The other day I picked a lock without sneaking, but didn't realize it... Anyway, a bit later I was out in the lake and was looking for some pearls, I checked some clams, then BAM a guard was underwater in front of me... I was like wtf?
lol

Does anyone ever come in and occupy a shop if you kill the owner? And - I am pissed about the stolen goods rule - what good does it do to be a thief if you can't profit from your stolen wares?

Nomad said:
Does anyone ever come in and occupy a shop if you kill the owner? And - I am pissed about the stolen goods rule - what good does it do to be a thief if you can't profit from your stolen wares?
Who says you can't?

Join the Thieves Guild and you can sell your stolen shit to their fences.

As for the thieves guild, does anyone know if you kill someone with no one around (caves, woods, etc.) will the guild know of it and then cast you out? I've done a few side quests since joining the guild and have had to kill at least two people (objective of the mission).

I have not yet joined a guild - and would prefer to join the Mage's guild. Also - how does shopowner X know that I stole Y from a town clear across the map.

Z(+)DIAC said:
As for the thieves guild, does anyone know if you kill someone with no one around (caves, woods, etc.) will the guild know of it and then cast you out? I've done a few side quests since joining the guild and have had to kill at least two people (objective of the mission).

Not a problem. As long as you don't kill when you are on a special mission for the Guild, you are fine.

Z(+)DIAC said:
Of course not. I'm guildmaster to both the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood. ^_^

J-Mag said:

I bet you thought twice before staring into your toilet that day.

The18thLetter said:
Of course not. I'm guildmaster to both the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood. ^_^

I thought the "Gray Fox" was? Then again I've only done two missions so I'm not sure what to expect.

I've never had a guard follow me into the water. They always turn back when i swim.

how does shopowner X know that I stole Y from a town clear across the map.

Here's how to avoid that... and it's so simple.

1. Steal items.
2. Have stolen items in inventory.
3. Open inventory.
4. Drop items on the ground.
5. Pick items back up.

Items are no longer considered "stolen" and can be sold anywhere without a problem.

neeyo said:

1. Steal items.
3. Open inventory.
5. Pick items back up.

Items are no longer considered "stolen" and can be sold anywhere without a problem.

I'll have to try this tonight. This looks like a winner! :)

That whole sneak while stealing thing doesn't hold water. Why? I've been caught stealing while sneaking. I had a guard run right through a 2' thick stone wall under ground to catch me sneaking.

I've also stolen goods while just walking around and not been caught. I've also broken into a house while sneaking had the guy that I was trying to rob look right at me say hello and then go to bed. Needless to say I stole from him first because he didn't realize I was trying to rob him.

I'm just saying its inconsistant. Theres no way to actually say that you will or won't get caught. Although I have noticed that I'd blatently steal something then go into my inventory to drop it on the ground like it was posted above and find that its in my inventory as not stolen. The whole system is weird.

neeyo said:

1. Steal items.
3. Open inventory.
5. Pick items back up.

That doesn't work...

So wheres the best place to find a list of console commands....? I am interested in your kill everyone theory. I would like to subscribe ot it.

:cool:

Brules said:
So wheres the best place to find a list of console commands....? I am interested in your kill everyone theory. I would like to subscribe ot it.

:cool:
in the console type:

help

I don't get how it works all the time.
Most times I can rob a place or kill a person and no one knows about it.
Some times I can rob a place or kill a guard and I know no one saw me but all of a sudden I have that lone guard run after me.

Majin said:
I don't get how it works all the time.
Most times I can rob a place or kill a person and no one knows about it.
Some times I can rob a place or kill a guard and I know no one saw me but all of a sudden I have that lone guard run after me.
I believe it has to do with whether or not you were neaking when you committed the act.

For stealing - it makes it look like the guards are clairvoyant.

J-Mag said:

Lol, did he talk to you..

"Blub blub blub! Bluuuuuu blirrrty blieeeef!"

(underwater talk)

Guys...there is a mod out that makes merchants buy your stolen goods. I haven't checked it out, so I don't know if it removes the stolen guides parameter completely or just makes merchants ignore it...

Blakestr said:
Guys...there is a mod out that makes merchants buy your stolen goods. I haven't checked it out, so I don't know if it removes the stolen guides parameter completely or just makes merchants ignore it...

Thats would make more sense, How the Hell is a Merchant going to know that I just robbed Bruma Castle of this object.

Majin said:
Thats would make more sense, How the Hell is a Merchant going to know that I just robbed Bruma Castle of this object.

Because he has a cousin that works at the castle that saw you, so he sent the merchant a mesage with a homing pigeon saying "Some damn hoodlum done robbed the castle, and got away"

Be careful.

neeyo said:

1. Steal items.
3. Open inventory.
5. Pick items back up.

I did this and they still have the stolen hadn icon on them.

You can always just join the Theives Guild with the sole purpose of selling stolen goods. It's not like you have to keep doing missions.
I'm part of both the Fighters Guild and Mage's Guild and don't use 'em for anything except their wares and the option to do more quests if I get bored.
In terms of the guards...they're spying on you through hidden holes that you can't see. The empire has spies everywhere!

t10 said:
WORD. I own the game, I own everything and everyone inside of it.
That oblivian tard dont have access to console, I do.

Muahahahahahahaha!

/end role play.

I was frustrated with a quest yesterday so I pulled up the console and maxed out my attributes and got all spells, then proceeded to cause chaos in Imperial City. There's one guard that wouldn't die no matter what though, I could only knock him unconcious and he'd always stand up later. Other than that the city was a ghost town.

Back