Stay X58 or go X79 / 77

Schtask

Limp Gawd
Hi [H],

I've got a bit of an issue. I am currently running an X58 EVGA SLI LE motherboard. Overall this board works as far as booting up and making windows run. Functionally, however, I have a couple of USB ports that are dying, a few random resets here and there when something is plugged into a USB port, the bios forgets which drive is the boot drive, the keyboard (Corsair K90) fails to be recognized on boot most of the time, and the boot drive is a SSD hooked up to a sata 2 port, so it's much slower than it should be (Corsair GT 120gb).

Needless to say...I would like to upgrade.

So here are my options. I can keep my I7 920 cpu and throw it into another X58 board that has been updated to USB 3 and Sata 6/gbs like the asus sabertooth. Or....I could upgrade to a X79 / 77 and buy a whole new CPU. If I don't have to spend a ton of money, I would prefer not to.

I use this rig for work stuff (cad, solidworks, data base design, etc.) and gaming. I tend to game at 5760 x 1200 resolution. I have 6 gb of corsair dominator ram 1600, a Radeon 5970 all running from a silverstone 1000w psu.

Thoughts? Any input is greatly appreciated.

This has been debated to death in a lot of threads.

If you feel that increased IPC, increased overclocking headroom, lower heat output (Z77), and decreased power consumption (Z77) are worth the money then pull the trigger. If not, buy an X58 board.

microcenter is selling the 3820 for 229 and p9x79 pro for 259 (when purchased with cpu). i am tempted to sell my system for this combo.

it really depends on how much you want to spend. an x58 mb with sata3 will not be as fast as a sb, sb-e or ib sata3.

Thanks for the replies all. Guess I'm going x79. Any input on the best board?

Thanks for the replies all. Guess I'm going x79. Any input on the best board?

According to a few opinions in this thread Asus seems to be top dog right now:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1658535

MSI seems to be up and coming at a close second from what I've read so far.

Also according to [H]ard|OCP MSI currently makes the best board of all the z79 boards:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/09/msi_big_bang_xpower_ii_motherboard_review
Problem is finding one in stock some place right now is tough!

go with a z77 and IB/SB setup, sell off your current gear and the upgrade shouldn't cost you more than 100-150

I would go for Z77 and 3***K CPU. And your SSD is SATA3 so the speed would be pretty faster than what u have now.

If you are happy with your 920 still, try and find a used x58 board that meet your requirements. If not, I would go x77 and sell your 920/x58 boards.

"Seriously?"

I think so, everything ages, but X58 has been one hell of a platform.

So far I have never been CPU limited, and I can still go to a hex if I ever feel that I am.

I really have not felt that any subsequent releases from Intel to date really stand head and shoulders above nehalem in the way that it did above previous art.

Still waiting for the next BIG thing, ivy ain't it, SBe aint it...just my opinion

"Always stay x58. Its the bees knees."

Seriously?

It was just a joke, but I also agree with jojo69.
What real reason do I have to upgrade?
Everygame will play fine so far on my rig still.
I feel like im going to be waiting another two arcs before I upgrade.

I would stay X58 and get a new board. Your SLI LE isn't under warranty still? If you could get it exchanged and then sell it, it would be much less money to get a new board. I don't know how high you have your CPU clocked, but I have yet to max out my 920. The Sabertooth is an excellent board and a good price. Especially a used one.

I had an LE that shit out on me and ended up replacing it with an Asus, couldn't be happier with the board.

So here are my options. I can keep my I7 920 cpu and throw it into another X58 board that has been updated to USB 3 and Sata 6/gbs like the asus sabertooth. Or....I could upgrade to a X79 / 77 and buy a whole new CPU. If I don't have to spend a ton of money, I would prefer not to.

Third option: buy a USB 3 card and a SATA 3 PCIe card.

Third option: buy a USB 3 card and a SATA 3 PCIe card.
that wouldnt fix his other problems, like the flaky bios.

The temptation for me to upgrade to SB/IB would be strong if i was in your position but I'm pretty happy with my X58/950 setup in terms of relative performance. Depending on what the boards cost its probably worth it to eke out more time with the x58

According to a few opinions in this thread Asus seems to be top dog right now:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1658535

MSI seems to be up and coming at a close second from what I've read so far.

Also according to [H]ard|OCP MSI currently makes the best board of all the z79 boards:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/09/msi_big_bang_xpower_ii_motherboard_review
Problem is finding one in stock some place right now is tough!

ASUS has a lot of great models. MSI does too, but I was speaking specifically about the Big Bang XPower II in that article. That board is overbuilt, overdesigned and has things most people would never need, want or use. So keep that in mind. I loved it, but it's not for everyone. The Rampage IV Extreme is a solid alternative.

I was tempted by the X79 platform, but I think I will hang on to my X58 for a bit longer. The Z77 system I built has cured my itch to upgrade...... temporarily at least.

I was tempted by the X79 platform, but I think I will hang on to my X58 for a bit longer. The Z77 system I built has cured my itch to upgrade...... temporarily at least.

Honestly there is no real need for X79 if you've got Z77. Not unless you need 6 cores and more than 32GB of RAM.

I just jumped ship from an i7 920 and Asus X58 to an i5 3570K and Asus Z77. I had constant USB problems (dropping back to USB 1.0) with the x58 and after upgrading to an SSD lost the ability to enter sleep mode. Both issues are gone with the upgrade. I'm still trying to figure out how to overclock an IB CPU in the Asus UEFI and the onboard NIC doesn't want to run at 1.0 Gbps but my start up times are cut in half, energy usage has dropped and installing the Intel NIC card I had for the previous system resolved my link speed issue. I have no doubt I made the right choice.

Back