Stay with old(ish) PCP&C psu or something new?

CrypticInsight

Weaksauce
I'm overdue for an upgraded gfx editing rig and atm I'm seeing what I should/could salvage from my old system. There's about a 6 year gap in psu tech between my old PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 EPS12V and all the new goodies out there. I haven't noticed any issues with my old psu, so is an update worth my cash?

Old specs: PC&P psu
Prospects: PC&P psu

Budget is a factor in all this, otherwise I'd buy a new one and be done with it. Also, curiosity has me wondering if I've missed something new and revolutionary after all these years. It appears the new machines these days don't require as much power as they used to, so I'm thinking a Corsair TX650m could do the job too (at most I'll be running one GPU). Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
If it's out of warranty, I'd crack it open and take a gander at the caps. If they all appear solid, I don't see a reason to replace it.

Will do. Thanks for the advice. I know a thing or two in making good psu purchases, but I haven't tested or done much with circuits, caps, and all that. I'm willing to give it the college try tho, and possibly learn something. I'll check around for some tutorials and knowledge base so I don't embarrass myself too much on here with silly questions ;).

I'm overdue for an upgraded gfx editing rig and atm I'm seeing what I should/could salvage from my old system. There's about a 6 year gap in psu tech between my old PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 EPS12V and all the new goodies out there. I haven't noticed any issues with my old psu, so is an update worth my cash

Really well built power supplies can last a long time without having any problems. Unless you are inclined to go for better efficiency and get an 80+ gold or 80+ platinum power supply don't worry about not replacing it.

Back