Static VPN Network unable to connect to Exchange Server

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

This has been quite the ongoing problem at one of my clients. We have a building which houses all of the servers. We also have two off site locations, both utilize Cisco 1811's which connect to another Cisco 1811 in the MDF. For whatever reason, the computers at the VPN clients can be joined to the domain without a problem, they can communicate with most servers without a problem. They are able to ping the exchange server by Name, FQDN, and IP Address, without a problem...

But whenever I attempt to configure outlook to connect to the exchange server, it states that it can't resolve the name. We do have an Isa Server 2004 that controls all of the connections, and my senior co-worker (who knows more about this than I probably ever will) configured it so everything could work.

I know that one of the locations worked, then stopped at one point. My Co-worker made some kind of change in all of the 1811's, however while it worked temporarily, the routers wound up locking their connections as they began talking to themselves in an endless loop. I didn't really note too much going on with the firewall when attempting to configure Outlook, except for something about the SSL Tunnel failing. It fails because of a rule which is set to allow clients unlimited access from internal network to internal network. When attempting to connect, it says the client username is anonymous.

I've even attempted to configure a new rule that allows those computer sets complete unrestricted access from internal to external and internal, but I'm still getting no where.

Any ideas on what kind of problems one would experience when attempting to connect to an exchange server via VPN? I'm not super experienced at this, unfortunately I have more time than my co-worker does to be able to troubleshoot this... so point me in the right direction, ask any questions, and I will do my best to get them answered for you.

Thanks in advance!

ISA Server has an RPC filter than can cause some issues with Exchange. Have you looked at the logs? What do they say?

The logs that are used when you particularly monitor something in ISA? Or some other logs that I'm not familiar with?

Have you tried configuring Outlook with the IP instead of the name?

Try HOST file entries too.

Have you tried configuring Outlook with the IP instead of the name?

Try HOST file entries too.

Yes, I have attempted to get it to resolve the name by using the IP address... still says that it can't do it. I'm not sure if I've tinkered around with the host files originally... what should I have in there, just

10.0.1.2 exchange.dtpd1.com

In there?

Back