Static IPs / Print Servers

Just wondering how other folks handle this:

Do you manage all IPs through DHCP and apply IP reservations for the machines you need static IPs for, or do you use a spreadsheet to track static IPs and only use DHCP for dynamic IPs only? We use the spreadsheet method however I'm leaning toward maybe changing that to simplify things.

Also, do you guys use the built in print server on printers or do you always use a PC to setup a print server and mange them all that way?

Pros and Cons for both?

Thanks

We set static IPs for servers and equipment (firewalls, switches, printers, NAS devices) and track them via a MySQL DB written by one of the guys who works for us. Then for laptops, desktops, phones, and any other device that isn't screwed to a wall or into a rack (basically stuff that moves) they all use DHCP. Some of those devices need static IPs for one reason or another and thus get static leases so that you don't have to constantly change your IP when you come and go from the office.

As far as spooling on the printer or on a server goes I usually have a printer spool on a server. The reason being is that troubleshooting it is much easier when you can go to the server, get it working and then have a 99% chance it works for everyone else as well. The other great thing is that I can have x32 and x64 drivers automatically pushed from the print server to the PCs so when a new person needs a printer installed we just have them connect to \\server\printer and windows takes care of the rest.

In some cases we have clients that have say a few laptops, a NAS and a network printer. In that case it is easier to just spool on the printer so that you don't have to worry about the fact that Mary brought her computer on vacation with her and now everyone in the office can't print.

For servers...I assign static IPs manually. I've noticed sometimes, if you set them on a reservation via DHCP, while some services load that need a local IP..but it hasn't been assigned one yet, can lead to quirkiness. So I've always hammered a servers IP in locally.

Print servers and other non mission critical servers I do static IPs via a DHCP reservation.
That way...you have your database right there in your DHCP manager to keep track of things.

We assign statics to everything such servers, printers, stuff that needs it. Instead of setting up a whole dhcp range we'll cut it down to give us ample room for static ips. Like my current range dhcp range is 192.168.0.50-190. Plenty of IPs for dhcp and plenty of room to assign statics. I also track static ips through an excel spreadsheet. Were small enough that it makes sense

We reserve blocks of IP address in each subnet to be used as static. All printers get a DNS entry and a static IP address configured on the device.

for example 10.1.1.0/24 subnet, 10.1.1.1 - 10.1.1.100 are reserved for static, and the rest are for DHCP addresses.

when we need to configure a printer we grab the first one out of the subnet that is not assigned, create a DNS entry for it and configure the static IP on the device.

Later if we forget what devices have what IP addresses we can just nmap the whole subnet and it will return the DNS name & IP of each static IP device.

nmap -sP 10.1.1.0/24
or
host floor1-prt-101

Back