Static IP help

C_N1

n00b
Ok, first I am a noob when it comes to networking, but this is all I know about my network. My question is: I can configure a Static Ip in the options from my router (the options accessed in the web browser) but my Internet Service Provider has an option for a static IP for 20$... what is the difference between his static IP and my routers static IP? And why should I pay for a ip when i can configure one for free???
4emje4J.jpg

It depends on how your modem works.

Basically right now every time you reboot your modem you're probably going to get a different IP address from your ISP. Sometimes the modem passes that IP address to the router and sometimes the modem assumes that IP address and just gives your router a private IP and DNS information via DHCP. If you want to know what, then look at the IP address that the router is telling you is on the WAN port. If it's a public IP then the modem isn't routing and is passing the information through. If it's private then it's not.

Either way do not set a static IP on the router unless you're actually paying for and getting a static IP otherwise your internet will stop working when the ISP gives you a new IP address.

The option you are being presented is for the situation where your ISP has agreed to give you a static IP and the modem is passing that static connection onto the router.

Last edited:
I have set the static ip up ~12 days ago, and every night I shut the power to my pc OFF, the modem and router are also connected to the same power devider, so everyday the modem and router boots up and i still have internet connection...:confused:

It's possible that you are being given the same dynamic IP every time. Though this is not a guarantee. I have a dynamic IP at home and sometimes I get the same after a reboot but usually I do not.

Are you setting the static IP on the WAN port or the LAN port?

Also, is the static IP you set a public one or a private one?

If you setup a static IP on a dynamic connection, the ISP doesn't know you are using it since you never requested in DHCP and will assign it to a different customer causing an IP conflict.

If you setup a static IP on a dynamic connection, the ISP doesn't know you are using it since you never requested in DHCP and will assign it to a different customer causing an IP conflict.

This. With many ISP's even if you are on dhcp your address doesn't change often.

I have to ask OP are you setting your pc with a static IP or the routers wan interface? The ISP doesn't care about the PC's behind your router. Their static IP is for the public IP. You'd want it for hosting things.

RzlOEbu.jpg

These are my current settings... I have noticed I forgot to save the changes... that explains why i ahve internet connection, but willl it hurt to take the static IP??? because i dont know the (if there is a difference) difference between the IP the ISP gives me and the IP on the Pic... it is the same as my IP when I google "my ip"

As I previously said, yes if you make your IP static it will PROBABLY stop working after a reboot. If you set it static it is likely that you will get no traffic because your ISP will probably block traffic that isn't coming from the DHCP assigned IP address.

It might work for a while if your ISP isn't handing out a new IP every single time you connect but eventually your DHCP reservation will time out and your IP will be given to someone else.

My uncle on Rogers year's ago once had the same IP for almost a year, and other times it could change every other week before and after that time.

If you set it static in your router you run the chance of having no internet one day and having to set it to Auto again to get a new IP.

Back