static ip and router

gregory

n00b
i'm ignorant when it comes to networking, so bear with me...

i have a pc running windows xp connected to a westell 327w dsl transceiver/router

the router was using dhcp and i wanted a static ip for my pc, something i could easily remember and browse to over the network

so i figured out how to set a static ip for my machine within windows

looking at the router's administration page, i could see that my machine was recognized as having a static ip at the address i had specified within windows

the problem is nothing can connect to the web, so my question is what else do i need to do here,? perhaps something within the router? i am at a complete loss as to what to do next

thanks for you time and help, it is much appreciated

@YeOldeStonecat

yes, in windows, if i set the ip to "obtain an ip address automatically" it works fine

Did you put your DNS servers in correctly in Windows when you set your static IP?

That's probably your best bet. With your computer set to 'obtain an IP address automatically', open up a command prompt and type:

ipconfig /all

There will be an entry for your DNS servers. Note their addresses, and make sure to enter those as well when you put in your static.

@Doliviss
i had my dns in windows set to use the open dns servers, so those were good, however while using ipconfig /all i learned that when windows is set to automatically retrieve dns it gets them from the router(192.168.1.1), i was not making this connection in my mind, so thank you

@YeOldeStonecat
good article, it helped me to figure out my big mistake, i had the wrong address in the gateway field, instead of 192.168.1.1(my router), i had...well...nothing...oops, i really didn't understand what that meant

so now everything works, the only issue left open is i can't seem to find the addresses of the dns servers my router gets from my isp, i guess it does not matter since i essentially bypass those with the windows settings

thanks guys, i appreciated your time and help

the only issue left open is i can't seem to find the addresses of the dns servers my router gets from my isp, i guess it does not matter since i essentially bypass those with the windows settings

Usually the router will have a "status" section in the web admin, showing the WAN IP it has picked up, and your ISPs 2x DNS servers.

On many routers, you can just put in the LAN IP of your router, and your router will do the DNS forwarding. But..I find it works better, and snappier, to enter your ISPs 2x DNS servers directly..it's one less hop for the request. And entering your routers IP doesn't work with all routers. You can always hit up your ISPs website, they should have their DNS information there in the support/FAQ section.

Some people have good luck using OpenDNS servers....I find them too slow for me though.
http://www.opendns.com/

Back