Static and Router Assigned IPs

Nismo

[H]ard|Gawd
My router is set to DHCP.

I loaded my server got to the internet just fine. I tried to static assign my w2k3 server 192.168.1.101. (my main PC is DHCP starting out at 192.168.1.100).

I turned off DHCP on the router, then assigned my server 192.168.1.101. I still can’t browse the internet… I can ping workstations though...

Did you set the DNS manually on your machines that you assigned a IP address to, those also get set with DHCP.

Ok just to make sure we have everything covered then

IP 192.168.1.10x
SM 255.255.255.0
DG = Routers IP address

DNS - Primary would be your servers address if you are running your own DNS server, if you are not then you would set this to your ISP's primary DNS. Secondary would be your ISP's Primary DNS if you are running your own DNS or your ISP's Secondary DNS if you are not running your own.

Easiest way to get DNS is to go back to DHCP got to a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL and write down what the DNS servers IP addresses are, then go in and set your stuff up manually.

I put 192.168.1.1(router) in the DNS settings and it worked!

Your routers IP address should not be your DNS server, unless your running like a linux box as your router and doing DNS on it. Set it up correctly or you will have problems in the future. It should look something like this but with your own numbers. Your ISP probably has a help page to tell you what all the settings should be.

nn.jpg

Tink said:
Your routers IP address should not be your DNS server, unless your running like a linux box as your router and doing DNS on it.

Almost all soho routers out there that I know of are made to be setup so that their IP address are set as the DNS server for the clients. They will then redirect the DNS queries of the clients to the ISPs cache servers.

Gertrude said:
Almost all soho routers out there that I know of are made to be setup so that their IP address are set as the DNS server for the clients. They will then redirect the DNS queries of the clients to the ISPs cache servers.

I did not know that, learn something new everyday.

Back