Statement about Bannings and Malicous Rumors @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I wanted to repost this response that is buried deep into this thread. I banned an individual for making totally false statements about huge amounts of defective BFG 8800GT cards. I researched the issue, got answers, and it became clear that he was lying. From my information, it seems that he got a bad card, and then went on a forum rampage, posting the same statements in multiple forums. While I would not assume that he is a shill for another company, he seems to be a person that got very upset that his purchase was not going good. It seems that his issue is a driver issue on his personal system. I banned him for outright lies and will continue to do so to others that think this is the path to go down.

The other sites are getting huffy out of greed and professional jealousy. They want to exaggerate [H]'s supposed negativity in order to puff themselves up. It's a pretty cutthroat battle for credibility, mindshare, and the revenue that comes with them out there among tech sites on the net. [H] and Kyle win the old-fashioned way, by telling the truth, digging for the info that matters, and refusing to compromise. All the hand-wringing "restraint" and "open-mindedness" adds up to is self-promotion and editorial cowardice. Oh, and of course lingering pro-AMD/ATi editorial bias.

The bottom line is that I personally investigated his claims, and they were 100% false. The rest of these guys can do what they want for their communities. Here at home, we are going to quash the bullshit and make sure the truth is known. Trust me, if I had found out that any company had a rate of return that is way outside the norm, we are going to tell our readers to protect them. I have been in constant communication with BFG on this, and sales and returns on this item have been normal. Actually sales have been tremendously high and RMAs have been normal. For the numbers I was quoted RMAs seemed a bit low. BFG shared with me their total sales volume, number of support calls on the GT product, and the numbers of RMAs. Those numbers are not for public consumption.

Bottom line is that there does not seem to be a "problem" with any company's 8800 GT cards. Are there some bad cards? Most likely so. I have never seen a launch of any video card that was without them. Remember that all of these cards are coming from the same manufacturer and being re-branded by the AIB company. If one company has a problem, most likely all of them will be having problems.

BFG did add that they had been testing a huge number of cards for their upcoming "OC" skus and had not seen any issues to make them think there are any hardware issues with the 8800 GT.

God i hate people who get ONE bad card and have to blame the world...

Get a damn RMA, Settle down wait a day or a week and STFU!

well we are all behind you 100% Kyle, I for one think you did the right thing and the fact you have a very clean forum is why I come back here everyday :)

well we are all behind you 100% Kyle, I for one think you did the right thing and the fact you have a very clean forum is why I come back here everyday :)

Agreed

We are with you 100%

Keep up the GREAT work Kyle and [H]

Without you guys, my world would be incomplete :eek:

Thanks Kyle. The reason I have been coming back to these forums for years and years is that the BS is controlled and dealt with.

Amen Kyle. This is the reason why [H] is pretty much the only site and forum I frequent when it comes to the tech/enthusiast world. Filtering the BS in order to protect your readers and fellow consumers is something that needs to be applauded.

<- another humble reader that's 100% behind Kyle and the [H]!

I agree with the way it was handled and to those who say the thread should have been ignored or not made into a big deal I totally disagree. I think it's important that we all are reminded once in a while that you can't believe everything you read on the internet. As a matter of fact it's good to be skeptical about anything you read on the internet.

I also saw a couple people claim Kyle is "in the pockets of the advertisers". Anyone who has been around here a while and read any reviews or articles knows this is completely ridiculous and certainly doesn't know Kyle.

I agree with Kyle 100%, his ban on that particular user came with good intentions, this community doesn't tolerate bullshit.

My response for all the other communities not liking how things are ran around here, well, all I can say is, look both ways before crossing the streets because you put too much trust in people you're going to get ran over.

Rule nr1 if you change ur computer often and sell youre old hardware.

Learn a old game like Starcraft Broodwar.

Have a PCi videocard ready, or buy a mainboard with integrated VGA.

Rule nr2.

If youre living in cold areas like norway, there might be a bigger chance of DOA, a friend of mine recived over 6 GF4 cards DOA. this was bad production by nvidia, didnt think some1 managed to throw them from freezing cold to hot cold to hot over and over again, with some shaking during transport, thats Norway. , who think about Norway? (not many)

Rule nr3.

Dont get angry before you get DOA more than 2-3 times in a time period of 3 years from same manufacture.

What i do, well, havnt gotten DOA's for god, I dont know. since GF3

As the others have said, this is one reason why I keep coming back here, the no bullshit stance you guys have. Thanks for your [H]ard work, it shows.

sounds like the typical crap to me, thanks for posting this kyle! if i hear any rumors i know to disregard...

this reminds me of the 7900 GT fiasco. there were high defects, but it wasn't as people made it out to be. i had one of the first batch 7900 GT's and it still works, but i did end up selling that for 2 7900 GTO's...couldn't say no to a good deal! and then the rumors about those going bad...i had one of them fail, got it RMA'd and havn't had a problem since in over a year. funny how everyone claimed that they were 7900 GTX's with failed memory but no one seemed to be able to come up with any evidence to support this claim. while i admit that its quite possible even likely, i got rather annoyed that every blowhard that wanted to say what crap they were suddenly shut up when i kindly asked them to prove it - even just some pics of memory to compare to see if they were indeed same modules as GTX models. i was honestly curious....but to no avail.

hope this gets ended before it gets blown into a similar situation.

Thanks for the honesty Kyle. There will always be whiners willing to stir up problems, and to them all I have to say is...

To the Gallows!!!!

:D

Well if every other card was going bad in 2 days then yes it should be said or I have received 3 replacement in the last month and they all went bad..BUT to say mine is bad so they all are?
Yep I hate all co's but I can't blame them for one bad card.
yes I had an X800XT card go bad in less than 3 days...did I mention my waterblock leaked

I guss you just can't please all the ATI reps all the time ROFL

Rule nr1 if you change ur computer often and sell youre old hardware.

Learn a old game like Starcraft Broodwar.

Have a PCi videocard ready, or buy a mainboard with integrated VGA.

Rule nr2.

If youre living in cold areas like norway, there might be a bigger chance of DOA, a friend of mine recived over 6 GF4 cards DOA. this was bad production by nvidia, didnt think some1 managed to throw them from freezing cold to hot cold to hot over and over again, with some shaking during transport, thats Norway. , who think about Norway? (not many)

Rule nr3.

Dont get angry before you get DOA more than 2-3 times in a time period of 3 years from same manufacture.

What i do, well, havnt gotten DOA's for god, I dont know. since GF3

So you agree with Kyle? :)

Fuck, it's your site, ban at will for all I care. :)

I'm glad someone has the resources and means to make public the truth of the matter.

Thank you, Kyle.

People are crazy. DOA happens. Things can be dead right out of the factory (not too likely) to it died in shipping, to it's just a fluke. You have to figure that any manufacturer producing hundreds of thousands of any component for anything is going to have percentage of failures. Even if that percentage is .000000000000001% failure rate, someone out there is going to get a dead item from time to time.

Do you go on a tirade and blame the company? No. Do you go and blame the retailer you purchased it from? Well you could try, as some retailers are more lenient on when and what they will take back from you, but in the end, you always have your rebate from the manufacturer. Any company worth 2 cents isn't going to leave a customer with a dead product high and dry, they will replace, refund, or else you get to bring in the legal ramifications, it's as simple as that in my opinion.

The kind of leadership displayed at the [H] shows the commitment and quality of the site. It would have been ignorant of Kyle not to investigate the rumors posted on his own forums. As always Kyle I appreciate your honesty and hard work!

Cheers,

I purchased the XFX 8800GT (Stock version) when [H] posted to it on Newegg (this model) , the very first day it was available. Other than the stock cooler running a little hot (hit 170 F at one point in testing/OC'ing), which was replaced with an after market cooler (Thermaltake DuOrb) I have seen absolutely NO issues with my card.

Its faster than my SLI 7800 GT's were in the same rig, and with the upgraded cooler, I am running it right now at 650/1625/1875 (doing this from memory, so middle # may be off) so far for the OC frequencies, with temps never breaking 110 F.

Great card, great performance, and you can't beat that price either. Will probably get a second one, to run 8800 GT's on SLI once stock becomes available again at the egg.

At my site we have a little feature that shows how popular various video card pages are in
views per week. Here are our numbers as of now:

Popular Cards This Week
GeForce 8800 GT (15,506)
GeForce 8600 GT (10,474)
GeForce 8800 GTS (7,438)
GeForce 8600 GTS (6,291)
GeForce 8500 GT (5,704)
GeForce 7600 GT PCI-E (5,575)
Radeon HD 2600 XT PCI-E (5,236)
Radeon X1950 Pro PCI-E (5,201)
GeForce 8800 Ultra (5,147)
GeForce 8800 GTX (4,508)
Radeon HD 2900 XT (4,488)
GeForce 7900 GS PCI-E (3,619)
GeForce 7600 GT AGP (3,448)
GeForce 7600 GS AGP (3,275)
GeForce 7300 GT PCI-E (3,268)

So yeah. I would have to agree with the statement that the 8800 GT is popular. Until the 8800
GT came out it was very rare for a card to have 8,000 or more views per week. Either our site
has gotten more popular or the 8800 GT traffic is really paying off for us.

Link to popular card list.

sounds like the typical crap to me, thanks for posting this kyle! if i hear any rumors i know to disregard...

this reminds me of the 7900 GT fiasco. there were high defects, but it wasn't as people made it out to be. i had one of the first batch 7900 GT's and it still works, but i did end up selling that for 2 7900 GTO's...couldn't say no to a good deal! and then the rumors about those going bad...i had one of them fail, got it RMA'd and havn't had a problem since in over a year. funny how everyone claimed that they were 7900 GTX's with failed memory but no one seemed to be able to come up with any evidence to support this claim. while i admit that its quite possible even likely, i got rather annoyed that every blowhard that wanted to say what crap they were suddenly shut up when i kindly asked them to prove it - even just some pics of memory to compare to see if they were indeed same modules as GTX models. i was honestly curious....but to no avail.

hope this gets ended before it gets blown into a similar situation.

HAha My 8800GT just came in to replace my 7900GTO. I never had a single problem with my GTO and I doubt I will with the 8800GT.

When I read the original thread about the bad BFG cards, I started to worry just a little, because I have a BFG 8800GT on order. I wouldn't have cancelled it anyway, because I know even if it didn't work, BFG's service would have come through for me.

Can't wait to get it. Ship already, damn it!

I don't know why but I was having a semi crappy day, but reading about trolls getting banned just eased the anxiety.

I unfortunately have to go back and face the source of my negative emotions, as I'm on my lunch break, but now all I have to do is think about people getting banned and I will be happy again.

This is one of the many reasons why I keep [H] as my homepage.

Thanks for keeping things real.

Re: the 7900GT fiasco. That IMHO was a whole different ball of wax. Way more people, documented issue(s) that were verified by the manufacturers/rebranders, multiple RMAs for many (inc me: 2x, sometimes my current card has issues but not enough to warrant a 3rd time) and so on. It may have seemed like it was blown out of proportion, but it was enough for EVGA for example to issue cross-shipments as a rule for affected owners, and new SKUs when they changed the memory ICs. IMHO, NVIDIA totally dropped the ball on the whole deal, and they (unless I missed something) totally passed the buck and never admitted they screwed up. Yes, ultimately, it's up to the manufacturers/rebranders to use/select 'good' components, but not many will vary from the NVIDIA supplied BOM (which called for what turned out to be bunk memory).

Off-topic semi-rant off: I don't see an issue THIS time. I'm not sure that I agree with the guy's getting hit w/ the ban stick, since I didn't see too bad of wording...But then again, I can see why Kyle and company want to cover their butts from potentially being included in a libel lawsuit - nor is my name next to the copyright notice at the bottom of the page. And to single out a company when currently all cards are made by 1 central company (Flextronics again or Foxconn?) is silly - if there were an issue, we would be seeing it across the line (like the 7900s).

Like others have stated, that's why I come here, the no bullshit taken, we are honest (brutally sometimes) approach. I might check out a couple other hardware sites periodically, but rarely, if the [H] does not have a review on it, I probably don't need it :D

As far as DOA's go, it does happen. I have not had a dead part in probably 3 years, then all of a sudden last month, on 2 different complete computer builds, one has 2 out of 4 sticks of ram defective, and the other order had a motherboard AND a cpu defective....hows that for piling it on? Do I hate those companies? Nah, been using their stuff for years...

Thanks Kyle. Keep it up, and keep it [H]ard.

Amen Kyle. This is the reason why [H] is pretty much the only site and forum I frequent when it comes to the tech/enthusiast world. Filtering the BS in order to protect your readers and fellow consumers is something that needs to be applauded.

<- another humble reader that's 100% behind Kyle and the [H]!

My thoughts exactly!

As a LONG time reader and forum poster this is the only tech site I even give a damn about because of how Kyle runs it.

Thanks for having balls Kyle when the rest of the nerdy wimps don't!

Because of the way Kyle and Steve run this site is why I do the same thing... Read 95% of the reviews posted on here and only go to other sites when I'm bored or fact checking / cross referencing H's results. This site is a goldmine that has yet to be discovered. Save this forum post: H will be worth millions of dollars in a few years.

Someone was trying to claim BFG is bad? Heh. Why not claim Windows has the least market share?

I started out with a 6800 Ultra and had it replaced 3 times before they finally replaced it with a 7800 GS. Can't say BFG doesn't stand by their cards and their customer service is excellent.

Besides, we all know beer is the way to get Kyle into your pocket.

[RIP]Zeus;1031636750 said:
God i hate people who get ONE bad card and have to blame the world...

Get a damn RMA, Settle down wait a day or a week and STFU!

I am afraid that is hoping to much, people are so spoiled/impatient these days, that they feel the right to make their problem our problem :mad:

Kyle (and the rest of ya), please keep up the good work, don't ever think it goes unnoticed. :)

F'n Aye man, hate little bitches that do that shit.

Excellent "Going Beyond The Call Of Duty" Kyle.

it always amuses me when i see people complaining about a site owner/admin/mod going off on a banning spree and/or asserting their power over their site/forum upon whomever for whatever reason. the well known "bottom line" with Kyle is don't cross him. sure he can be brutal or an outright asshole to some in his axe swinging endeavors (and even in some of his reviews) but who here expects him to write a song or a poem expressing grief, regret or mourning when lowering the boom on someone or some company? i sure as hell don't and if i ever hear that song or read that poem here it will be the day i find a new site to read first thing in the morning as [H] has been for the last decade.

Kyle and Steve thank you for everything you do with [H].

- Robert (PmR)DeathInJune

Back