State of thermal cooling for Skylake-X

duh FooL

n00b
So I'm piecing together a new PC, after having been on Sandy Bridge-E for a while.
Running a 3820 w/ Rampage IV Extreme.
64GB

My usage is based on a mix of gaming and programming. The most intensive for programming is when I have to run multiple services locally and debug or run performance analysis.

Budget wise, I'm looking to keep it below $2K.
I already have
AIO CPU cooler
64GB Crucial DDR4-2666 Ballistix Sport
Seasonic SS-1000XP PS (old, but I'm guessing it should still work).
Temjin TJ09 case
LG 31" DCI 4k monitor

I was thinking to go to the new LGA 2066 with an i9-7900K, but I've seeming all these articles about cooling issues for Skylake-X.
I'm not looking to overclock at the moment, so my question is if the initial article I've ready, which mostly came from mid year, still hold true.

Are the cooling issues with the X299 platform resolved?
Was it mostly MB cooling design or do I need to go with a custom water system with the 7900 or above?

I picked up an H100i v2 during the holiday deals, which I was going to use.
I'm assuming the i7-7800X/7820X have the same thermal conductivity issues, since they would still be using a TIM vs. solder, but wouldn't saturate it as badly as the 7900K under full load?

I do want to go with more cores than the 3820, if just to say I moved up from a 4 core CPU.

Most of the recent threads regarding the 7900K or better processors are all in systems with custom coolers. Most seemed to have been delidded.

Not looking to be convinced of Intel/AMD.
Just want to know if the thermal issues are something that really need to be considered or if it's just problems with the initial release.

If you aren’t overclocking, it won’t matter. I tried a nh-l12 and it worked fine. Toasty, but manageable.

Overclocking is where it gets messy. Going from a computer to heating a small Inuit community only takes a few tweaks.

This being said mine is cooled by a grand macho air cooler. Most aio’s should be fine unless you are trying to cook dinner with it.

Most newer mobos have their vrms beefed up a bit too.

Any realistic higher end OC, the part where it makes a big difference, requires a delid unfortunately.

If you aren’t overclocking, it won’t matter. I tried a nh-l12 and it worked fine. Toasty, but manageable.

Overclocking is where it gets messy. Going from a computer to heating a small Inuit community only takes a few tweaks.

This being said mine is cooled by a grand macho air cooler. Most aio’s should be fine unless you are trying to cook dinner with it.

Most newer mobos have their vrms beefed up a bit too.

Which CPU are you running on air? the 7900K?

Also check your memory compatibility - is it a quad channel kit? If so then most probably you will be fine, otherwise you might run into issues on X299 from what I read.

Back