State of Samsung Mobile

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
Today Samsung finally announced their foldable phone, which is way too big for the pocket and it's basically a 2 screen device: one ugly small outer screen when the device is closed and a large inner foldable screen. I for one will not be an early adopter.

Then came the bigger announcement, IMHO, which is the One UI, Samsung's next version of TouchWiz. Here's hoping that it doesn't use all the free memory of a 4GB device. I doubt any of Samsung's current devices are going to get that update.

Discuss.

Samsung is reskinning the same pig. In the past few years they have taken their eyes off from copying Apple directly and moved to mocking them directly using mostly FUD. Funny though, it was like how Apple drove their earlier advertisement trying to get people to move to the macs by using FUD against the PC in their commercials.

Either way, what Samsung wants is going to be the same going forward: They want their cake and to eat it too. What I mean is they want the free android, they want their app's running so they are getting the same/similar data Google is. What that means is we will have the same double apps running of everything no matter what and Samsung still wont' support older devices.

I tried looking for pictures but all I could find were extremely dim shots from a long distance away. It feels like Samsung is trying to hide something. We’ll see how it pans out.

I tried looking for pictures but all I could find were extremely dim shots from a long distance away. It feels like Samsung is trying to hide something. We’ll see how it pans out.

They weren't being sneaky -- they straight-up acknowledged that they had 'camouflage' of sorts on it because they hadn't finished the design yet. They didn't want to show a block with screens (effectively what it looks like now) and give the impression that this would be the final product.

They weren't being sneaky -- they straight-up acknowledged that they had 'camouflage' of sorts on it because they hadn't finished the design yet. They didn't want to show a block with screens (effectively what it looks like now) and give the impression that this would be the final product.

I have a feeling its more to do with blocking out the Chinese nock offs from swarming the market before they can bring out a product. Just about anything shown from a high profile company is almost immediately imitated in design (not function) then sold as something similar. I agree with their decision (if true) if they were going to tease the product, most companies don't do pre-release teasers anymore and just jump straight to the release.

I have a feeling its more to do with blocking out the Chinese nock offs from swarming the market before they can bring out a product. Just about anything shown from a high profile company is almost immediately imitated in design (not function) then sold as something similar. I agree with their decision (if true) if they were going to tease the product, most companies don't do pre-release teasers anymore and just jump straight to the release.

That's certainly a possibility. Hell, Apple frequently has to watch companies releasing knock-offs based on factory leaks, so I can't imagine a company voluntarily spoiling a launch by hinting at a design.

Then came the bigger announcement, IMHO, which is the One UI, Samsung's next version of TouchWiz. Here's hoping that it doesn't use all the free memory of a 4GB device. I doubt any of Samsung's current devices are going to get that update.

Discuss.

It's already been anounced for the S8/S8+, Note 8, S9/S9+, and Note 9. Beta for the S9 starts next week, with the note shortly after. Gold/public release will be mid january.

Hopefully they learned from their mistakes with TouchWiz and Samsung Experience so that One UI isn’t a resource hog as well.

...doubt it.

Samsung Experience is actually pretty great. Touchwiz was a mess, but the S8 and newer devices have a great UI.

Samsung Experience is actually pretty great. Touchwiz was a mess, but the S8 and newer devices have a great UI.

Recently sold my mother's Galaxy S8 after she upgraded to an iPhone X. After a complete factory reset of the device it still had tiny stutters intermittently. It actually stuttered noticeably while the buyer was trying it out, but they didn't seem phased by it. Maybe it was because they were coming from a Galaxy S6.

My 4GB of RAM for the Galaxy S9 was laggy as hell out of the box. Can't even answer a phone call. That's how ridiculous it was. Spending $10 on a decrapifier didn't make it much better.

I went from an Essential phone on 8.1 to a Galaxy S8. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be as a previous S1, Note 2, S4, S5 owner. I didn't perceive it to be a laggy mess. Samsung Experience is definitely better than TouchWiz, but it's still not as nice as the Pixel 2 and 3 I've used since.

Can't even answer a phone call.

Seriously? What the hell were you doing at the time? I can imagine during intital setup while it's downloading and installing 100 apps, fine, but come on now. "Can't even answer a phone call" out of the box is ridiculous.

I went from an Essential phone on 8.1 to a Galaxy S8. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be as a previous S1, Note 2, S4, S5 owner. I didn't perceive it to be a laggy mess. Samsung Experience is definitely better than TouchWiz, but it's still not as nice as the Pixel 2 and 3 I've used since.
My Essential Phone is significantly smoother than the S8 I sold. A decent number of apps on the S8 would visibly stutter while they were smooth on my Essential Phone.
Seriously? What the hell were you doing at the time? I can imagine during intital setup while it's downloading and installing 100 apps, fine, but come on now. "Can't even answer a phone call" out of the box is ridiculous.
The S8 I sold lagged just opening the stock phone app and then crashed and closed the first time the buyer was trying to test the phone with a call. This was with a freshly factory reset phone with nothing updating/downloading in the background. So I'm inclined to believe him.

I factory reset my GS9 after I got my Essential Phone. And took it in the TMo store where this asshole know it all also questioned me on it. So I popped my sim card out of my Essential, and popped it in the GS9 and told him to call my number and gave him the phone. He called the phone twice and wasn't able to answer before it got sent to voicemail. He also claim the phone is defective. But I know the defect is software. Cause I can call out, touchscreen works, benchmarks good, signal good. Just check the available RAM left on that POS and you'll know it's TouchWiz's heavy memory requirement. 6GB the minimal amount of RAM needed for all the bullshit Samsung wants to run on their phones smoothly.

Back