State of Decay. Coming to PC.

The game is decent. Glad I didn't pay more than $10 for it, though.

I bought it yesterday, and it looks decent, but be warned, if you have FOV issues like motion sickness in games, this one is really bad. I usually don't get sick from 3rd person perspective games, but this one, 30 minutes and I had to stop. I tried it again, and same thing happened. For me it is unplayable as it is. Very strange though, the Batman Arkham games I played for hours with no problems but this one I just can't take it. I am still a bit queasy as I type this.

Also note that it has a max resolution of 1920x1200. Not exactly happy about that little feature either.

Update: Found out you can get it to run at the full desktop resolution if it exceeds 1920x1200 by setting your launch option to "-fullscreen" (right click on the game in steam select properties in the general tab press the "set launch options" button and type it in without quotes). Didn't help with my motion sickness but it's a little better to me running in my native monitor resolution.

Last edited:
Yeah, they definitely released it out of Early Access much too early. There are still some "port issues" with the game.

Undead Labs announced their next DLC for State of Decay ... Lifeline. Its a whole new MAP!

lifelineLogoFinal_WhiteLettering-480x302.jpg

https://undeadlabs.com/2014/02/news/throw-me-a-lifeline/

I have to say, I just bought the game.. its currently 50% on Steam weekly, for $9.99. Full keyboard and mouse support has been patched in and the game looks and runs fantastic. This is the zombie game I've always wanted but never knew existed. Looking forward to the DLC..

Anyone else playing this currently?

I couldn't get around not being able to back up

when I push S I want to back away from an enemy while still facing them...not turn my back on a slavering zombie

The KB and mouse control is still not that great, IMO. It seems like they never actually fixed the mouse acceleration issues...they toned it down but it is still in there and makes it awkward.

Graphically, the game is actually not that great considering it is using CryEngine. It's not terrible but it looks and feels like a console port, which it is.

I would probably only consider playing this game again if I used a mod to turn off the "persistent world" mechanics.

I have been playing the Breakdown DLC a lot lately.. I have almost 70 hours total so far. Honestly I feel like SoD gave me the best bang for the buck for $20 I've ever gotten. It's so therapeutic to just run around gathering guns, weapons and resources.

I found the constant nagging from party members I didn't give a shit about to be game breaking

I probably put close to 20 hours into this game- I really enjoyed it, but the longer it went on the more samey it felt. Once you get a good base and group of survivors going it turns into a babysitting simulator as you have to constantly deal with the drama of whiny survivors.

The survival aspect also starts to take a pretty quick nosedive once you get a really strong base going- it can take a very long time to get to the point where you have to push on to the end game, meaning the game can drag for a long time if you want it to.

I haven't tried the new DLC survival mode, so I don't know if it is any good. I enjoyed playing this game a lot, but the devs didn't support it enough/fast enough to really keep it going.

Co-op seems like the most glaring omission from a title in this genre. I realize this was a small studio and it was originally an XBL Arcade caliber of title so it's understandable why its missing. However, since they signed a multi-year pact with Microsatan to keep developing for XBL hopefully that means they can make good on their commitment to "Co-op being at the heart of future State of Decay titles" and they don't stop making it multi-platform with PC.

Co-op seems like the most glaring omission from a title in this genre. I realize this was a small studio and it was originally an XBL Arcade caliber of title so it's understandable why its missing. However, since they signed a multi-year pact with Microsatan to keep developing for XBL hopefully that means they can make good on their commitment to "Co-op being at the heart of future State of Decay titles" and they don't stop making it multi-platform with PC.

They're working on a followup to State of Decay, which will be an MMO. It's still in a bit of a limbo, but multiplayer is definitely their main focus for their next title.

They're working on a followup to State of Decay, which will be an MMO. It's still in a bit of a limbo, but multiplayer is definitely their main focus for their next title.

So instead of a "Zombie version of Borderlands 2" with 4 player co-op -- which I really want, sounds like we'll be getting YetAnotherDayZClone

So instead of a "Zombie version of Borderlands 2" with 4 player co-op -- which I really want, sounds like we'll be getting YetAnotherDayZClone

State of Decay is nothing like DayZ.. unless they make a MAJOR change in direction of play style, Undead Labs' next game will be nothing like DayZ.

DayZ isn't an MMO. A simple Google search will do you good.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, buddy. I didn't say DayZ was an mmo. But everyone including MS undoubtedly saw the sudden rise of DayZ popularity with the million units sold and ultimately wants a piece of the pie. Not hard to read between the lines.

"Let's jump the zombie craze bandwagon" was undoubtedly the narrarive MS had un mind when they offered the contact to this developer, just like they pursued Rocket about doing Xbone version of DayZ.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, buddy. I didn't say DayZ was an mmo. But everyone including MS undoubtedly saw the sudden rise of DayZ popularity with the million units sold and ultimately wants a piece of the pie. Not hard to read between the lines.

"Let's jump the zombie craze bandwagon" was undoubtedly the narrarive MS had un mind when they offered the contact to this developer, just like they pursued Rocket about doing Xbone version of DayZ.

The Google search would have prevented these assumptions. I'm not trolling, you should look these things up first. You're under the wrong impression here.

I definitely get your point though. however, dayz has absolutely nothing to do with SoD followup rest assured.

I read somewhere that Day Z is the father of all modern PC games. Every game is just a Day Z poser.

Played SoD yesterday for a couple hours. Definitely entertaining, definitely a direct console port. Overall 6/10. Worth the steam sale price, but co-op is the only thing that could have convinced me to pay full price.

love the ambiance and all

I just can not get around the fact that I can't back away from an enemy

Anyone know if they fixed the bugs like crazy clipping and unskippable cutscenes? I see they released some DLC and I'd hope they patch issues before milking for more money but...

I wouldn't bet on it. Haven't even touched the game after I played it for a few hours...too much of a console port to be enjoyable in a lot of ways.

Back