Startup to Put Cellphone Tower on the Moon

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
German startup Part Time Scientists is preparing to set up the first telecommunication infrastructure on the lunar surface: they plan to send a lander with two rovers in late 2018 to visit the landing site of Apollo 17, where they will rely on LTE technology to relay data back to Earth. The lunar lander, “Alina,” will serve as a base station, while the rovers will function as mobiles.

The Falcon 9 will carry the team's spacecraft, Alina, to the geostationary transfer orbit, a highly elliptical Earth orbit whose highest point is 26,000 miles (42,000 kilometers). From there, Alina will continue on its own to the moon. "We will soft-land on the moon and disembark our two rovers, the Audi Lunar Quatro rovers, with which we are going to drive up to Apollo 17," Becker said. "The two rovers are essentially mobile phones that will communicate our video stream to Alina, which serves as an LTE base station, and Alina will communicate the data to us," he said.

I think this is really cool, but I don't really understand the purpose. Unless the goal is to add future hardware that can save weight by not having it's own comms. Maybe?

I hope it's not using Verizon cuz I'm sure my phone will be like "OH HEY THAT'S OBVIOUSLY THE CLOSEST TOWER" ~destroys my connectivity forever~

Good news.

There is no way than can possibly oversell that network.

I'm sure they'll figure out a way how.

But the farther from the earth the higher the lantancy right? How would this be good for them??? Unless they want to be above other satellites to spy on their communications?

Kids these days. They'll Go Live from anywhere.

ENLbGX.png

Has anybody seen any of the pictures from the rovers they sent to the moon?

Will they have 5G?

So how much does the power drop from a cell tower at a distance of 10 miles? Well whatever that is multiply it by about 25000² because that's how much the power will drop,

Why necro this?

why not? it was actually an interesting concept idea in 2017 that never ended up happening.

I doubt this will end up happening.

when we put humans back on the moon we'll most likely see some form of LTE happen for communications on the moon due to bandwidth and latency of orbiting satellites but it'll still be bottlenecked between the moon and earth.

I think this is really cool, but I don't really understand the purpose. Unless the goal is to add future hardware that can save weight by not having it's own comms. Maybe?
I bet its the start to mine helium-3 from the moon. The stuff is supposed to be worth billions +sss.

Why necro this?

Thought it was an interesting reminder about how many of the announcements we have read over the years have turned out to be total absolute crap.

Did you know that by the end of this year I should be able to use my smartphone summon a fully autonomous flying taxi!

I kind think it would be cool if all of these fantastic announcements were auto necroed so we could see the truth rather than being bedazzled by modern technology for a few days before we forget about it and never see the truth.

Yeah considering how censored anything to do with the moon is this sure as hell won't happen. And looks like it didn't.

Back