Startup lag in XP

EnforcerGT

Bad Trader
So i turn on the comp and bios runs quick, but the windows loading takes a good 30-45 seconds to boot. My friend's 1ghz boots in like 10-20 seconds.....Im running a P4 2.4ghz, 1gb of ram, 2x40gb Maxtor, GF Ti200, and 6mbit SBC yahoo DSL.

Anyhow, whenever it does get into the desktop to load everything up, such as startup, My computer lags to the point where nothing works except the task manager. It stays like this for a good 2-3 min, then loads everything and no problems....

I have formatted many times, reinstalled windows, and so forth.... Whats causing this lad and why is my windows loading screen take so long..Anybody else got the same problems?

Thx in advance.

I had SBC DSL up until a month ago and had the same problem. Took an extra minute or so to finish loading everything. Pissed me off quite a bit. I'm not really sure exactly what the deal is but I know it has something to do with the modem. If you unhook the ethernet cable out of the back of the modem and boot I bet it will boot fast like it normally should...that's what mine did. Of course that gets extremely old, extremely fast, so I just dealt with it. I recently switched over to cable internet and the problem is gone...thank God. I dealt with it for over a year so I know what you're dealing with. Unfortunately I never found a fix...but if you take the ethernet cable out of the modem and it boots fine...at least you know what is causing it. Maybe someone here would know how to fix it...I'd be interested to see.

yea, I sorta had a clue that the modem was the problem... I didnt have these problems at lan parties and such. Thx.

I've had a similar problem with DSL before. Oddly, I was able to solve it by forcing the DNS address in windows. I know it sounds wierd, but give it a shot. Come to think of it, I was using SBC at the time as well. They have gremlins in their DHCP servers...:confused:

Might want to uninstall that SBC software. Just worked on a computer with it on and it was really laggy with it. Try out one of the other pppoe dialers they have out there.

Back