Startup applications on win 7, how to make it stop asking for a password.

rxteenager

Gawd
Hey guys well i'm running a standard account and I have an application from asus called PC probe, shows all my fan speeds and voltages. It's set to start up with windows, I know that if I turn off the UAC this will probably solve my problem. I have heard some good things about UAC actually being useful so that's why I haven't disabled it. My wife uses my PC and she doesn't know much, so if a notification pop-up it's probably cause she's doing something she shouldn't and that keeps her from possibly breaking something.

I have tried googling a solution but I can't seem to find one, so basically whenever pc probe starts up I get asked for the "admin" passsword, I guess by default it has to be run under admin for it to work properly. I can't seem to find a way to get the application to change this, I have tried the "run as admin" tick mark under compatibility but that doesn't do anything. I mean my AV & Firewall startup just fine, so why is this blasted thing asking for the admin password? is it just the stupid compatibility issue, is it just UAC being all fucking paranoid?

If anyone has a tip it would be appreciated.

Go to the properties and under General tab at the bottom click on Unblock.

Also, did you set it to Run as Administrator as all users? I think you have to click a button to show settings for all users.

Hmmm well I don't see any "unlock" option under the properties for the application. Also yes I have the application to "run as admin" for all the users.

Setting an application to 'run as admin' will simply have the application run with administrative privileges. It will not automatically supply the admin password. If your account doesn't have admin privileges and the program has to run as admin in order to work, then it will give you a UAC prompt asking for the admin password. It isn't UAC being paranoid. It's UAC asking you for the admin password to run it as an admin like you specified.

Well the application seems to want to run with admin privileges by default, nothing I can do there. Even when I start it myself it will ask for the admin password, so I guess it's something i'm just going to have to deal with.

The best solution is to simply not have applications that request admin permissions start on system start/login.

You can try having it run via task scheduler.

This is the solution you are looking for, because applications set to run in the Task Scheduler do not trigger UAC! Task Scheduler is not the most intuitive thing to use, though, so see this tutorial:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/67503-task-create-run-program-startup-log.html

Edit: also this tutorial (I finally found the bookmark):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ortcuts-without-uac-prompts-in-windows-vista/

Last edited:
Back