Starting up windows 10 on a Brand new Pc

I built a brand new system and all is working, I plug in my external optical drive and place in windows 10 disc.
I get as far as to where I choose my install location, My hard drive does not come up on the list. I have ensured that my hard drive is s installed correctly and made sure it is not faulty.
My hard drive is a 3'5 2TB seagate, It is blank
When I get to the windows setup I click "custom setup" and something named Driver 0 Allocated space 3.9GB appears but I do have 2TB hard drive installed but does not show up in the list.
As I said this PC is brand new, built it myself.

I built a brand new system and all is working, I plug in my external optical drive and place in windows 10 disc.
I get as far as to where I choose my install location, My hard drive does not come up on the list. I have ensured that my hard drive is s installed correctly and made sure it is not faulty.
My hard drive is a 3'5 2TB seagate, It is blank
When I get to the windows setup I click "custom setup" and something named Driver 0 Allocated space 3.9GB appears but I do have 2TB hard drive installed but does not show up in the list.
As I said this PC is brand new, built it myself.

Pop in a linux live-cd and see if that can detect your drive. If not you probably made some mistake building the pc. Cables, bios settings etc. How did you 'made sure it's not faulty'?

what mistakes can be made in the bios settings?
I really dont wanna wait any longer to get this Pc going and dont want to spend anymore money and other cds etc...
I have ran the sysem without storage and with

the hard disk should be device 0, plugged in to the 'lowest number' SATA port (0 or 1). The optical drive should be the next one.

I had this happen once. Turned out I didn't have the SATA power cable actually plugged in. It looked like it was plugged in, when in fact the power cable was just sitting in an open spot on the drive under the real power connection.

Therefore the drive didn't even show up in the bios, when I swear it was all plugged in correctly. However it was not.

So, does the drive even show up in the BIOS?

yep see if the bios see's it...if not theres your problem..as a matter of fact snap a picture with your phone if possible

Advanced BIOS settings? Where you can change your boot sequences?

Example: [HDD]1...Seagate 2TB something?

Edit: I always dig around in the BIOS when building a new system, even before trying to install an OS.

I am unable to find this, My boot sequences are on the the bottm right but I am not seeing the seagate harddrive

not seeing it either....you need to unplug the drive in question and even use different sata cable if possible. snap a pic of the drive hooked up as well:)

Yeah it's not listed in the "boot priority".

Something isn't hooked up right, bad cable like primetime said?

That "USB slot" should be at SATA slot. Not USB. The SATA cable, not USB should be plugged into one of the SATA ports that is grouped into a set of 6 SATA ports.

That face outward to the right.

Sometimes motherboards reserve certain SATA ports for fake-raid. If you used one of those ports you won't possibly see a boot disk before you have configured the raid array OR set those ports as regular SATA ports.

Try plugging in one of the lower ports and check if the drive pops to bios.

That "USB slot" should be at SATA slot. Not USB. The SATA cable, not USB should be plugged into one of the SATA ports that is grouped into a set of 6 SATA ports.

That face outward to the right.
The end of the SATA cable will not fit into one of these slots, The only thing I see it fitting into is the PSU

9X9etou.jpg

Yeah it should plug into those slots at the end of the red arrow. Keep us posted.

Actually it looks like you had it ideally hooked up.

As said try resetting the BIOS

A quoted review from the egg

"Cons: - There is virtually no diagram to tell you exactly which SATA ports are on the SATA bridge which can be raided. The other SATA ports are on a software controller."

So try all of the ports. Good luck!

Here we have my Harddrive, In red we have the sata power and green the USB
http://i.imgur.com/t3XS8kw.jpg
Here is where my USB is going- Green shows all possible USB slots and red is my current
http://i.imgur.com/WPN7jyC.png
A closer look-
http://i.imgur.com/qZgaZup.jpg
The SATA power is firmly plugged into 550W corsair power under "sata"

Im confused as hell...what does usb have to do with anything? you SHOULD be using a sata cable and sata power from the supply. this talk of usb doesn't sound right:D And im using a 2gb seagate as well, as a storage disk, but that neither here or there

I was just thinking, is the power supply modular? If so, try plugging the power into a different slot at the PSU.

Im confused as hell...what does usb have to do with anything? you SHOULD be using a sata cable and sata power from the supply. this talk of usb doesn't sound right:D And im using a 2gb seagate as well, as a storage disk, but that neither here or there

I am confused as shit too. 99% chance this is user error :eek:

Stop drinking with the BIOS and figured out what SATA connections are. Getting a hard drive to be recognized is one of the easiest things with building a PC. This is absolutely one of those things where if it doesn't work, a piece of hardware is dead or you're doing it wrong. Reset everything to defaults, connect the drive to SATA0 or SATA1, connect power, reboot PC.

Last edited:
take another pictures of the back of the drive again please, with better lighting....Maybe this drive is somehow different than the ones im used to using....either way its looking like your maybe using wrong kind of cable..that is if your really using a usb cable to hook it up:)

no way...OP just seems to be confused about what the cables are called. I think it's nearly impossible to connect those power cables the wrong way. All I can think of is, like the advanced photoshoped pic I posted shows, It may just be that the SATA data cable is plugged in the "wrong" port on the mobo.
Also I can't remember if the PSU-end of the SATA power cable can fit in a PCIe power outlet on the PSU and if that makes any difference. And as stated by the OP the drive seems to spin up so....

no way...OP just seems to be confused about what the cables are called. I think it's nearly impossible to connect those power cables the wrong way. All I can think of is, like the advanced photoshoped pic I posted shows, It may just be that the SATA data cable is plugged in the "wrong" port on the mobo.
Also I can't remember if the PSU-end of the SATA power cable can fit in a PCIe power outlet on the PSU and if that makes any difference. And as stated by the OP the drive seems to spin up so....

Looks like his PSU has two spots on it to plug a set of SATA cables to it.

Actually I remember years ago I had this problem with a 520 watt corsair power supply.

according to the manual, the header he is connected to uses the intel sata controller.

that being said, in the pic he posted it doesnt even look plugged into anything (i cant even see where the header is)

well for the most part i would agree....but if you look closely on the end of usb i bet someone out there figured how to do it...its either bad cable, not plugged in correctly, or maybe he actually used usb somehow:D

according to the manual, the header he is connected to uses the intel sata controller.

that being said, in the pic he posted it doesnt even look plugged into anything (i cant even see where the header is)
Yes it does look a bit...weird.

well for the most part i would agree....but if you look closely on the end of usb i bet someone out there figured how to do it...its either bad cable, not plugged in correctly, or maybe he actually used usb somehow:D
Sure it could be a bad cable. But the excessive force needed to ram an USB cable into a SATA port should make any sane person to stop with what they are doing and take a step back :p
I'm getting really curious as to what the OP has to say....

Back