Starting to lay the groundwork for Win10 VMs (VMware)

Discussion in 'Virtualized Computing' started by t_ski, Jan 9, 2018.

1. t_ski

t_ski [H]ardness Supreme

The organization that I work for is currently using Windows 7 everywhere except a few unique cases. VMs are still all Win7 though, and we're starting to work on a plan to implement Win10 everywhere, including my VMware ESXi 6.0 virtual environment. Do any of you have any good and bad experiences to share, or perhaps some great guides or tweaks you've found on setting up the Win10 template?

EDIT: I know Win10 will run in a VM. Been there and done that. I am looking for tweaks to streamline the template, or things that might be new or changed from Win7. I will probably be running the VMware OS Optimization tool, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 11:19 PM
  2. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment Pick your own.....you deserve it.

First, why not get vmware up to 6.5 ?

3. dbwillis

dbwillis I liked watching you fuck my mom.

I have (4) Win10 x64 Pro VM's at 2 different customers (2 VM each) but they are on HyperV
    No major issues, although the major updates seem to take alot longer on them

t_ski likes this.
  4. t_ski

t_ski [H]ardness Supreme

Is it truly necessary?

I am working my way toward that eventually, but I need to replace some hardware that is older and does not have 6.5 drivers available.

Thanks. We have one X64 ENT spun up based on LTSB. Probably still needs some tweaking, but LTSB turns off a lot of the stuff we don't want anyway.

Any special tweaks you apply?

5. koolaidkitten

koolaidkitten Gawd

6.0 at home. 6.5 at work. Both running win10 no problems.

t_ski likes this.
  6. t_ski

t_ski [H]ardness Supreme

Thanks. I know it will blend, but what I'm asking is what kind of tweaks have you guys applied. I have nearly 550 desktop VMs that will eventually need to be replaced, so a little bit of over/under-allocation or problems with the template would be magnified greatly. One extra process or service can have a huge effect when we're talking that many VMs.