Starting to lay the groundwork for Win10 VMs (VMware)

Discussion in 'Virtualized Computing' started by t_ski, Jan 9, 2018.

1. t_ski

t_ski [H]ardness Supreme

The organization that I work for is currently using Windows 7 everywhere except a few unique cases. VMs are still all Win7 though, and we're starting to work on a plan to implement Win10 everywhere, including my VMware ESXi 6.0 virtual environment. Do any of you have any good and bad experiences to share, or perhaps some great guides or tweaks you've found on setting up the Win10 template?

EDIT: I know Win10 will run in a VM. Been there and done that. I am looking for tweaks to streamline the template, or things that might be new or changed from Win7. I will probably be running the VMware OS Optimization tool, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment Pick your own.....you deserve it.

First, why not get vmware up to 6.5 ?

3. dbwillis

dbwillis [H]ardness Supreme

I have (4) Win10 x64 Pro VM's at 2 different customers (2 VM each) but they are on HyperV
    No major issues, although the major updates seem to take alot longer on them

t_ski likes this.
  4. t_ski

t_ski [H]ardness Supreme

Is it truly necessary?

I am working my way toward that eventually, but I need to replace some hardware that is older and does not have 6.5 drivers available.

Thanks. We have one X64 ENT spun up based on LTSB. Probably still needs some tweaking, but LTSB turns off a lot of the stuff we don't want anyway.

Any special tweaks you apply?

5. koolaidkitten

koolaidkitten Gawd

6.0 at home. 6.5 at work. Both running win10 no problems.

t_ski likes this.
  6. t_ski

t_ski [H]ardness Supreme

Thanks. I know it will blend, but what I'm asking is what kind of tweaks have you guys applied. I have nearly 550 desktop VMs that will eventually need to be replaced, so a little bit of over/under-allocation or problems with the template would be magnified greatly. One extra process or service can have a huge effect when we're talking that many VMs.

7. Outlaw85

Outlaw85 Gawd

Any updates on findings? We are in the same boat, primarily 7, but upgrading here and there. I don't directly work with the template management but oversee the infra supporting them for BAU of xxxx and total vdi count of xxxxxx. I can agree with your concerns of one wrong tweak wrecking havoc. Latest is obviously with Spectre and Meltdown and what the actual hit to performance/usage is.

8. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

how has that been? My company is looking to do a vdi pilot with some nutanics boxes.

9. Outlaw85

Outlaw85 Gawd

Actually pretty painless. We have been using Nutanix for the last 2.5-3yrs. I may be biased due to our support level but working with them is awesome. We have someone that lives local so if something onsite is needed, it's maybe a couple days. Setting up meetings to discuss growth, they will even help forecast. I am also working on decommissioning some rental nodes from them now. Depending on your environment goals, it may be worth asking them about the rental option (nutanix go) vs leased.

Vengance_01 likes this.
  10. bigdogchris

bigdogchris Wii was a Novelty

Horizon View?

If so, VMWare has best practices for what settings to change on the workstations.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/...iew-virtual-desktops-windows-optimization.pdf

11. Nakulz

Nakulz n00bie

With that many vms wouldn’t it be better to go to the vdi route than setting up individual vm?

12. bman212121

bman212121 [H]ard|Gawd

Only if you want to lose the ability to use the thick client and have to suffer with the flash based web client while they bring the HTML5 client up to snuff. I definitely don't see any benefits to going to 6.5 until the HTML5 client is ironed out, and you'll lose a bunch of hardware support going from 6.0 to 6.5.

13. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

Ok.

1709 is a non-starter pre 6.5U1. 1703 is the latest version with full support, and it's annoying as ~fuck~ to manage at times. The new "cloud-like" OS model means a lot of things are expecting to update whenever the hell they feel like it (calculator, for fuck's sake) and if not allowed to, weird things happening. Release previous to 1703 was a bit better.

You running Horizon?

14. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

It'll... sorta blend.

Heavier hitter all around. Disabling a lot of the GUI features makes it run nicer. PCoIP works better than Blast (assuming Horizon here, not RDP) if you're using Soft3d. Give them at least 128M of VRAM in my experience if you want any real desktop experience stuff. If you want video/real audio, expect to need GPU power behind it, or a lot more CPU to feed it (the faster the better for Soft3d). Disabling Soft3d and going with just basics works too, but when you finally run it over, it falls hard. Windows 7 is easy to tune compared to 10; lots more options on 10 to keep track of and plan around. Especially since unlike 7, the reset/quickprep re-enables a lot of things you may disable normally (OneDrive, Defender, Firewalls, etc). AppX tries to deploy things whenever it wants too. I believe that there are GPOs for them - about to dig into that side for our 1709 testing, as it got bad with 1703.

I've worked on some HUGE VDI deployments. 10 is ... fun. Great OS, but not as easy to get running as XP/7 in VDI. Even 8.1 was pretty easy compared to it.