Starting new Business/Website

SpeedSlayer

Supreme [H]ardness
My friend and I shall be starting a new business hopefully by first quarter 2007. This site shall be following sites like (NSFW) (he is the least of photo quality in terms of photograhpy).

My question for this forum is there a good all-in-one website tool for running membership sites / subscription sites?

My other question is about hosting. I am assuming by the end of Q04 in 2007 I will have approx. 15-20k images and about 100 videos. Should I find a unmetered host or go with metered? Which will produce better speeds with a client base of assuming 2k-5k?

Edited links out of post.

--KK

You might be better off looking at a VPS or Dedicated Server.

The majority of hosting companies that offer ' unmetered hosting ' will suddenly contact you when you start using alot of it.

PowerVPS is a well-known, reliable company for VPS servers. I've used them and thus far have been happy.

I think for a business site on that level you would do better going with VPS or dedicated. Shared hosting doesn't really give you any guarantees to the computer resources your site has access to, plus you could be sharing the same server with dozens or even hundreds of users, so if you have many users online at the same time, or you have a lot of dynamic content/scripts running, plus database access (PHP + mySQL, etc.) you could be in for slowness city (or a nice email from the host about your massive resource consumption).

VPS is a better step up - you get to decide what you want to run, a lot more freedom in how your server is configured. I just purchased a VPS plan with Rimuhosting (Debian Linux + Xen virtualization) because I wanted a server to experiment with (mod_perl, mod_python, better Rails, no mySQL, etc.), and while it doesn't come with a panel (webmin only) I know how to do all the administration via command line (which saves a lot of money since I don't have to buy a plan with plesk/cpanel).

Plus with VPS you usually only share a machine with 10s of people (Rimuhosting supposedly only puts 10-15 on one).

Then dedicated - ThePlanet has a pretty affordable unmanaged entry level dedicated server plan starting at $70 (Value ServerXtreme) that has a lot of space, bandwidth, and of course, you get your own machine. Of course, you have to be pretty good with administering your own server with that one.

Seeing as it's a business, I would start with VPS and move on from there. Might seem expensive, but $40 - 60 a month is hardly outrageous for a business, right?

Back