Starting From Scratch: New Build

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
Well after finding the board I was going to use is dead and reading around I decided to start from scratch. This is my first HTPC and will be used to stream from my file server and BluRay playback. No gaming, but some internet surfing occasionally. Thoughts on the specs?

Case: Silverstone ML03B
Motherboard: Asus M4A78LT-M (I have 4x1GB DDR3, so needed the 4 RAM slots)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2
PSU: Antec Neo 400w
Optical: Lite-On BD ROM
RAM: 4x1GB PC3-8500 I already have
HD: 250GB WD Caviar I already have

Total comes out to $290.94. I still need to get some IR Solution and a wireless KB/Mouse but that can come after this is set up.

looks fiarly generic for a HTPC today, just know that the onboard GPU isnt going to bitstream HD audio from blu-rays... to an AVR.

The zecate systems seem interesting, have you looked at AMDs new line up of low TDP motherboard/CPU setups?

Interesting. Actually the last AMD I had was a T-Bird. Always have used Intel since then so I am really in the dark with anything AMD.

Will the Zecate+Asus combo bitstream then?

Your specs look OK to me.

FYI - I'm in the middle of the new build (just assembled it) too.
Here's my spec.

Silverstone ML03 black $70
AMD Athlon II X2 240e 2.8GHz 45W $65
GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H $100
G SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3 1600 $48
Antec Earthwatts 380W (140mm) $40
Samsung F1 500GB $repurpose
Samsung SH-B123L $60
Windows 7 64bit

Everything fit together nicely and I'm about to load up with software.
I did far too much research on this (according to the wife!) and feel happy with my build.
I opted for Athlon X2 over intel because its cheaper and doesn't have the well documented 24p issue.
I steered clear of Zacate as I wanted something with a little more kick and featureset. Also, given the Sandy Bridge debacle I'm a little hesistant of new tech until it's had time to bake.
Note that my receiver does not accept DTS-HD so I didn't need bitstreaming (I'm happy with DTS/DD).

Best of luck.

Note that my receiver does not accept DTS-HD so I didn't need bitstreaming (I'm happy with DTS/DD).

Neither does mine, so that is why I wasnt too worried about it. However the 'What If' and 'Future Proofing' bug got to me.

What software are you using to make it stream DTS-MA and DolbyTrueHD?

I've heard of issues with TMT

TMT is pretty much the only, and best option BTW, for bitstreaming. I've only heard of these issues when the 5000 series first came out, haven't heard of many currently.

Well found a spare S775 C2D processor laying around so that puts me at using an Intel based bored. How are the onboard Intel GMA X4500 graphics? Should I ditch it and go with a like a 5450? Hoping to use something w/ DDR3 as I have some RAM already.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130306

Looking at that board. What about sound?

The GMA X4500 that comes with the G41 chipset isn't too good for watching HD content. It's the GMA X4500HD, that comes with the G45 chipset, where you can get decent HD playback. However, for sound, neither onboard audio will allow for bitstreamed or even 7.1 LPCM audio.

If you want HD playback and more audio options, you're better off with the HD 5550 or HD 5570. There have been some forum posts saying that the HD 5450 may not be too suitable for blu-ray playback.

avoid anything from intel short of the clarksdale i3 IGP like the plague. For an s775 board just go with a 5550. They're cheap and work. case in point: the HTPC in my sig

avoid anything from intel short of the clarksdale i3 IGP like the plague. For an s775 board just go with a 5550. They're cheap and work. case in point: the HTPC in my sig

Why? You kind of contradict yourself though saying avoid anything for the Clarksdale i3 then say get a setup like yours :p

Getting a 5550 though frees up what board I get. I can get any mATX board that I like really since audio/video will be handled via the 5550. I will have to skimp on the board now anyway since I have to drop another ~$70 on the card.

Danny, thanks for the feedback. Almost bought one last night before checking back on the thread. Glad I didnt.

Why? You kind of contradict yourself though saying avoid anything for the Clarksdale i3 then say get a setup like yours :p
No he didn't. A little hard to read but he didn't contradict himself: He did say to avoid any Intel IGP solution other than the Intel Core i3 CPUs.
Getting a 5550 though frees up what board I get. I can get any mATX board that I like really since audio/video will be handled via the 5550. I will have to skimp on the board now anyway since I have to drop another ~$70 on the card.
Yeah $70 for a HD 5550 is a ripoff considering that the faster HD 5570 costs that much.
Danny, thanks for the feedback. Almost bought one last night before checking back on the thread. Glad I didnt.
No prob.

He doesn't contradict himself at all.. his HTPC is a s775 as well & he has a 5550 all according to his sig.

Basically moral is that yes you can use that chip, but you need to use a discrete graphics card as well.

Basically moral is that yes you can use that chip, but you need to use a discrete graphics card as well.

Thats why I asked why, to clarify. I somehow missed the IGP part and was thinking Intel in general. Thanks guys.

Yea, my bad for being unclear. I said anything by intel short of a clarksdale in terms of graphics (aka unless its the clarksdale, don't bother)

As for pricing, the 5570 is probably a better deal. I haven't priced any 5550's lately so I don't know what the cost differential is. 5550/5570, whatever, the point is if you go with a 775 board get a discrete card thats a step above a 5450 ;)

I had enough going back and forth and the wife was in a good mood so I went ahead and ordered some components.

-Picked up a 5570 for $69.99
-Asus P5G41T-M for $62
-Lite-On Blu-Ray drive
-MCE Remote (Using for IR receiver only)
-Card reader

Figured I would use the Antec Minuet I have sitting here and save another $75. I can always get another case down the line and this will be sitting in a closet anyway. Should be everything I need in addition to what I have to get it atleast started. Halfway through running CAT5 to the closet and will use Wifi in the interim. Also do not have a KB/Mouse. My wifes logitech is an awesome set but the range sucks. Even with the USB receiver mounted under the TV we cannot use it on the couch. So kind of gun shy picking up just any wireless kb/mouse.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back