Starting 3d max 5 - overview question

drewtoid

n00b
I have recently decided to start reading up on 3D Max 5. I have always been interested in the fact of 3D animation and making short movies with it.

There is one question that holds me back. Do I need to be an artist as in paper and pencil drawing? I have no talent what so ever on that. I have many ideas and such and was going to pull them out of my head straight unto the computer and modify as I see put.

Just a quick question, thanks in advance.

Well, Having a good background/propensity for 2d artwork certainly would not hurt you. Much of the same concepts and knowledge can be applied to 3d work, not to mention, good sketches to work from can often make your 3d work much easier and more effiecient to complete....but i know many 2d artists that cannot think in a 3d environment, if you have a good spacial grasp on your surroundings, you could very well be a good modeler, much like a sculptor. However, texturing is largely a 2d drawing affair...so most likely you will need to learn some drawing techniques in order to bring your 3d creations to "life"...

But i would say that you should pick up a copy of Gmax or the Maya PLE and try your hand at some modeling...simple geometrics are often a good place to start, things that are common around the house, like tables, chairs, appliances....see how your models come out or if you feel like you can grasp the concepts behind modelling....

Hope that helps...happy modeling...

Demon

Yeah, I've had the "3D Max 5 Bible" for so long I figured I should dust it off and try it.

Would it be completely useless to learn it now since I have little artistic skill? I see your point, really sucks because I did want to making short films and everything. :)

Just read through the post again, so your saying I could model, I would just have to be in partner with someone that can skin if I did get into 3D animation? Either that or have someone draw and color it out on paper then put it on the computer?

All im saying is that not having any 2d ability should not stop you from trying...I have a few friends that are great at modeling things, but cant draw a damn thing...modeling is very geometric and spacially oriented....2d drawing isnt as much....so you can see things develop in front of you in three dimensions, you can get alot more feedback on how your creation is coming along...it can also be much more confusing unfortunately...(the front might look right but the back might be retarded)....but if you cant draw and you want to model a car you can always get the blueprints off the internet, for people you can take pictures, for cartoons you can easily get reference photos....so there are plenty of resources available to you...

Being completely original in your creations might take some time...just by doing your 3d modeling you will learn some 2d along the way...and texturing will come with time as well, until you get good with photoshop for texturing Max has many simple textures that come with it that can be put to good use...

I say dig out your bible and go through some of its tutorials using the cd resources that come with them...

If you want to learn how to model....You will

Good luck

Back