start pc with phone?

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a motorola q9c cellphone with Windows Mobile. is there any way I could possibly use my cellphone to start, reboot, or shut down my pc? I just think it'd be sweet to be able to connect to my home network and just turn on/turn off my pc at will.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

reboot and shutdown, yes... not so sure about starting it up though. I would think that it would require a special switch that connects to a router to tell it to turn on.. not sure about that though

Look for info on WOL - wake-on-LAN. If it's possible, it should be possible to do from a mobile phone.

Either WOL as mentioned or WOR (wake-on-ring). Most motherboard don't support WOR (usually only found in server boards) and you would need a modem in your computer, but if you have a decent router, you could go to the web management page and have it send the magic packet for WOL. To reboot or shut down, you would have to use remote desktop/vnc however (unless you get creative and run a web server on your computer that simplifies this). Alternatively, network managed PDUs work too (however, they are pricey).

Back