start networking before splash / start ?

provoko

Gawd
Was wondering if there was a way to force windows 7 or any windows to start networking (internet) before the splash, during splash or even right before I log into my desktop?

All Linux distributions starts networking before most services. Take for example Ubuntu, as soon as you're on your desktop, you've already logged into the internet.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Windows DOES start connecting prior to logon. Your machine just boots fast enough that you're able to log in before it's fully connected.

gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Logon

Always wait for the network at startup and logon

Set to enabled.

gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Logon

Always wait for the network at startup and logon

Set to enabled.

I like what i'm hearing!!! =)

Ok but, I can't find gpedit.msc, I have to search for it, and then when i find it, i got some bizarre message saying something about a snap-in.

I'm on windows 7 home premium, is gpedit.msc functional on it?

Should be...but I can't remember if it'll run under home premium.

Windows-R, type in gpedit.msc, hit return.

You have to run it as administrator or it is going to say that it can't load the snap-in.

If you aren't running an admin account and have UAC disabled, right-click and make sure you run as admin.

edit: Quick Google gives us the results that the group policy editor wasn't included in Vista Home Premium, so it might not be in 7 Home Premium either.

Although all that group policy change does is not give you a login screen until you are connected to the network. It doesn't actually start the connection earlier or later. It just makes you wait until it is fully connected before allowing you to log on.

It already does that. I regularly move files between PC's and i simply turn it on, and i can access the shared folders without logging in.

Heck, i can even login via remote desktop, i wouldn't be able to do that if the machine hadn't initialized the network in the first place.

Is this a wireless network? What's the issue you are having, that makes you think something needs to be changed?

Is this a wireless network? What's the issue you are having, that makes you think something needs to be changed?

Yes.

Networking doesn't start before windows loads, it's how windows is designed, was getting tired of it and wanted to know if there was a way to start networking BEFORE windows desktop loaded up.

Pop in an unbuntu live cd and watch your wireless network light up, if you have ubuntu installed you'll notice you're connected when you see ubuntu desktop.

On windows, everything loads up, and the wireless interent is the last thing to connect while you're on the desktop.

What's the issue? Having the internet start up after everything else causes all programs before hand to show "PAGE COULD NOT LOAD" error until I click refresh after I've connected to the internet. I could wait, BUT seeing how other OSes can do it, was wondering if there was a way to do it for windows.

What's the issue? Having the internet start up after everything else causes all programs before hand to show "PAGE COULD NOT LOAD" error until I click refresh after I've connected to the internet. I could wait, BUT seeing how other OSes can do it, was wondering if there was a way to do it for windows.
Unless you have a lot of apps set to run at boot (never a good idea), this isn't an issue with Windows itself, and sounds more like an issue with your wireless NIC drivers or the network. This is why I asked what the problem is. On a normal running laptop (connected via wireless), for example, if you log in and then open IE, it will open your home page. If you log in, and then connect and IM program, such as Digsby, it will connect. If you open your mail program, it will connect to your mail server. If you are finding that after login, you need to wait before these programs are connecting out to the internet, your problem isn't with Windows.

On windows, everything loads up, and the wireless interent is the last thing to connect while you're on the desktop.

Just saw this.

Well that's an issue with your WNIC software. Use Windows' built in ones and it should be fine.

If you're so concerned with startup issues such a this one, stop turning the PC off and instead hibernate it or put it into sleep/standby mode. It's a workaround for a basic non-issue I'd say.

Back