Start Folding the Easy Way!!

So...question. If I have two 6970s and a 2600K, if what I'm reading above is correct, then I shouldn't even bother using my GPUs to fold because I'll get more pointsvia the CPU and I'll save electricity? Can someone please confirm this?

1) you will definitely save electricity

2) You can potentially see better points, but with 2x 6970s you will probably have more points from the CPU + both GPUs

Thanks for the clarification. So I've got the FAH GPU Tracker V2 installed. CPU mode is rocking along just fine. I tried to get the GPUs going but they're just sitting at idle. No errors or anything. Thoughts?

Edit:FYI I did go in and set in the configuration Enable GPU0, GPU1. Forced GPU selection to ATI R800 which in turn autochecked Enable GPU3 client.

Edit 2: Ok, so I guess this is my problem:

[20:55:11] + Attempting to get work packet
[20:55:11] Passkey found
[20:55:11] Gpu type=1 species=4.
[20:55:11] - Connecting to assignment server
[20:55:11] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[20:55:11] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[20:55:11] - Attempt #8 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

I get that over and over in my logs. Any idea as to why?

Last edited:
Cant help you there, the FAH GPU Tracker V2's developer is an EVGA member, not sure if others here can help you (possibly). However I do believe you want to make sure the correct team name is set (last i knew, this was at the initial release, the default team # was for EVGA, assuming you want to fold for [H])

Cant help you there, the FAH GPU Tracker V2's developer is an EVGA member, not sure if others here can help you (possibly). However I do believe you want to make sure the correct team name is set (last i knew, this was at the initial release, the default team # was for EVGA, assuming you want to fold for [H])

I've already setup my username, passkey, and Team number 33 for HardOCP. So I'm good there. I read something about setting the -advmethods flag in the GPU section. I've tried that and restarted the client, but still no go.

I've already setup my username, passkey, and Team number 33 for HardOCP. So I'm good there. I read something about setting the -advmethods flag in the GPU section. I've tried that and restarted the client, but still no go.

Not many people here fold with their ATI cards.

You may get a response, but it might be a while :(

In the mean time, enjoy the goodness that is CPU folding!

Welcome to the team!

Thanks Kendrak and W Feather.

So, it looks like there are only a handful of servers that hand out requests for AMD video cards. Checking the status page it shows that they are online, but that they are full and so my guess is I just need to wait until a job is available. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I know I'm new but...what is the Defcon War System? I can't find any information as to what it is.

Maybe try sending EngrChris a PM, he has done alot with the ati folding

Thanks Kendrak and W Feather.

So, it looks like there are only a handful of servers that hand out requests for AMD video cards. Checking the status page it shows that they are online, but that they are full and so my guess is I just need to wait until a job is available. Thanks for your help.

I sent him a PM yesterday. No reply so far. If anyone folds with AMD/ATI cards wants to help me out, shoot me a PM. Thanks.

make sure to set the team name correctly :D

Also, welcome aboard.

make sure to set the team name correctly :D

Also, welcome aboard.

Thanks!

I hope i did this right!

foldinge.jpg

all looks correct from here, dont see anything wrong with it atleast.

Does anyone have a good explanation of how to configure the Heat Control? I am new to this issue and understand that running the folding on GPU's causes alot of energy usage and heat.

I have a i5 3570k OC to 4.4ghz and I'm only getting 13k-15k (10125) ppd is that normal? just seams a little low. My wifes rig is getting 8k ppd just on her 260gtx.

I'm not so sure with the PPD but I'd start off by looking at your Client Settings and make sure that you have checked Use all CPU cores and not GPU folding.

If you used your same passkey, it should definitely have not reset you.

What OS are you folding with? Which client?

installed on my work elitebook 8460. I'll install it on my home computer later.

I5-750 OC to 3.8Ghz, and a 5850, should do ok I guess.

Make sure you obtain permission (preferably in writing) to use work resources for folding, may not seem like a big issue, but it IS A BIG ISSUE to use company property to fold without them giving permission.

Otherwise - welcome aboard.

Time for me to make the most out of my college dorm cost... Folding at full power until further notice. :)

Great to see some new faces in here. We are going to need all hands on deck if we are going to keep this lead.

Get comfortable folks. Were in this for the long haul.

I just started the client and I'm not sure but I think i'm getting a low PPD :( I used to get more with my old Q9550 (psskey applied)

Capture097.jpg

I think you are going to be better off scrapping GPU Tracker and going with the v7 client directly from Stanford. Use HFM to monitor ppd - i suspect this is showing you base ppd without bonus for your CPU.

The v7 client and HFM by default don't show bonus points, however there is an option to have HFM display projected bonus points.

I've been using FAH 7.2.9 but been hovering at 6,000-14,000 PPD. Normal for my system spec? Then suddenly it jumped to 22,500 today. Have I finally just started receiving my double point bonus?

Also I find it weird that my GPU and CPU is running at full power while folding but doesn't produce as much heat as it does when I play games. Why is this?

I've been using FAH 7.2.9 but been hovering at 6,000-14,000 PPD. Normal for my system spec? Then suddenly it jumped to 22,500 today. Have I finally just started receiving my double point bonus?

Also I find it weird that my GPU and CPU is running at full power while folding but doesn't produce as much heat as it does when I play games. Why is this?

You have to fold 10 work units before bonus kicks in.
And the gpu client on the amd side is only using a fraction of the potential of your graphics card... you are also only using about 70% of the power used in gaming.

How do you get a Radeon 7970 card to run F@H? Doesn't want to fire up for me. Running the GPU Tracker V2 software and the 12.11 beta drivers.

How do you get a Radeon 7970 card to run F@H? Doesn't want to fire up for me. Running the GPU Tracker V2 software and the 12.11 beta drivers.

I think that you need the v7 client, and not GPU Tracker. This guide is a bit outdated, but should get you started. If you run into problems, I would advise starting a new thread for assistance.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1610637

Back