Start Folding the Easy Way!!

Have to have some WU's in and after a few updates it should be there. Even if you dont register, you will be listed.

Thanks was thinking I would have to fold for a while to show up. Stopped gamming pretty much figured my rig could be used for somthing useful.

So I shouldn't have it on now ?

You won't get any bonus points till you have finished 10 SMP or -bigadv WU. Most of the points you will get are from the bonus. So doing 10 regular SMP quickly and then turning on -bigadv will get you humming along quicker.

Has any one had an issue where if they fold with there GPU there CPU PPD goes down? Like I go from 35k to 18k on my cpu if I use my GPU to fold. My GPU is only kicking out 4.5k PPD. Whats up with that ?

Last edited:
Had one had an issue where if they fold with there GPU there CPU PPD goes down? Like I go from 35k to 18k on my cpu if I use my GPU to fold. My GPU is only kicking out 4.5k PPD. Whats up with that ?
That's pretty normal. What CPU and what GPU is it?

jebo is correct; you will get better performance from folding exclusively with your CPU. However, if you still want to use both, try starting the SMP client with the -smp 7 flag or -smp 6 flag instead of just -smp. That will free up some threads for the GPU client, so it won't be fighting with the CPU client for the same resources. You should see a boost in CPU PPD and possibly in GPU PPD as well, although your total production may very well be lower than what you'd get from the CPU only.

Just set it up cpu only and I'm getting 42-45k now. Think im just going to stick with cpu only. How much better are nvidia cards? I have a 260gtx just sitting around I could toss in if its worth it.

Just set it up cpu only and I'm getting 42-45k now. Think im just going to stick with cpu only. How much better are nvidia cards? I have a 260gtx just sitting around I could toss in if its worth it.

Its not worth it. I have a 560 and it nets a few thousand PPD folding on that and the 2600k vs cpu only. I don't find the extra heat and power to be worth the PPD gain.

Sorry for the necro, but there seems to be two different guides for newbies to set up the folding@home client. There is this thread started by nitrobass24 on 9/29/10 and the sticky has the "multi-core SMP" client by Zero82z posted 4/26/10. So, I figured I'll follow the more recent one.

I'd like to start off by running it on a laptop. Below are the specs. I guess I'll be doing "multi-core". Don't see the point of doing the "GPU" folding since it has integrated graphics and as stated above, not really worth it even if you do.

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i3 380M @ 2.53GHz
4.0GB DDR3 @ 532MHz
LENOVO Base Board Product Name (CPU)
ThinkPad Display 1366x768 (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel(R) HD Graphics
313GB Hitachi HITACHI HTS545032B9A300 (SATA)

- I'm gonna "fire & forget", but if there are any additional parameters (that aren't mentioned in the sticky and/or this thread please let me know)
- This part confused me a little:
Now, if you want to monitor your PPD, I recommend HFM.NET. FahMon is another option, but I don't recommend it if you are using the SMP client because it can't calculate bonus points. For the client directories, just use CPU, SMP, GPU0, GPU1, ect. located in the main FAH GPU Tracker V2 folder.

So, do you need a 3rd party site and/or program to monitor your folding status? Or only to monitor your "PPD"? This is probably something really obvious, I feel dumb asking this :(

- I understand what "borg" and "boxen" mean. Is there an equivalent term for the PS3 when used for folding? :)

This thread refers to a home made GUI for folding. A lot of us still use the traditional method discussed in Zero82z's guide.

If you use the "-smp" flag and you see 100% CPU utilization, you're set with the traditional method.

HFM.net gives you real timje feedback based upon your current progress and will give you an estimate on your current points per day output at that moment. There are websites that track your overall statistics, like total points, monthly averages, daily averages, etc, but they only update after you've completed an entire work unit and uploaded the results. Not to mention, those websites are usually a few hours behind in their reporting. So, lots of us use hfm.net to get immediate feedback.

Having said all that, doesn't the GPU tracker program give you a PPD estimate?

Trying to sing up on the Hardfolding.com how do I get the Stats ID # so I can register? Thanks

+1

I did get a stats ID, not sure if its the right one, and I was able to register, stat ID was 5000, and how do you change it if was NOT the correct one?

just search for your username about 6hr after you turn in your first WU

The stats id is for the DB

just search for your username about 6hr after you turn in your first WU

The stats id is for the DB

ok, when I look at my member page, my stats are correct, but the badge is in another members name, and I am having zero luck in generating a badge. starting to get frustrating, how do you get a stats ID that reflects what you do?

ok, I found my ID, now, how do i edit my member info to correct it?

Hehe, it is ok ;)

Make sure to post that badge in the giveaway thread!

still something odd going on, if I login to check my stats, it shows someone else's ID, I have to manually search for my name and click on it to get the proper stats page. no way to edit your default login info?

Hey guys... I'm trying to fold with my gtx 260 and PII X6... is there a way to limit the % this program uses for the GPU so it does not bog down my system?

Hey guys... I'm trying to fold with my gtx 260 and PII X6... is there a way to limit the % this program uses for the GPU so it does not bog down my system?

nope... pause while gaming or put a 2nd card in and only fold on the non-display card...

for smp you can limit the # cores used...

nope... pause while gaming or put a 2nd card in and only fold on the non-display card...

for smp you can limit the # cores used...

OK thanks for the reply............. OH YEAH would they need to be the same manufacturer?
I have the GTX 260 would it need to be an nvidia card or can it be an ATI/AMD?

OK thanks for the reply............. OH YEAH would they need to be the same manufacturer?
I have the GTX 260 would it need to be an nvidia card or can it be an ATI/AMD?

It doesnt matter... a 260 is not that good at folding...

if I were you I would check out the fs/ft subforums...both main and in the dc section...

Personally I run ati cards

Both right, new WU can put a hurting on them but there are still plenty of the older work units out there that will keep the PPD up.

@OP, if you are using the v6 system tray version the CPU slider *can* sometimes reduce the GPU usage - my only other advice would be a visit to foldingforum.org and search for gpu environment variables - most of the posts will refer to ATI cards but they exist for NV as well.

I have setup the lastest client and have setup all the options.

Both my gpu's are hacking away at it. 4k ppd each but my cpu is not giving any?

It says my CPU is as well (using smp multi-core client) but in my tracker window the PPD is yellow at 0 and the % complete is still at 0% after 20 mins. Is that normal? on my cpu monitor it shows all 8 cores flat out at 100%.

Edit: Ok so I suppose it's working it now is a 1% complete after like 45 minutes. Still no PPD estimate in the box tough.

Last edited:
That has to do with the ATI video cards that you are using. They thread hog 1 core each and do not let the SMP client make any progress. Based on the raw points you can earn, and the high clock on that 2600K, you are best off shutting down both GPU clients and letting the CPU run on its own, it will make over 30000 points a day and use a quarter of the electricity that the ATI cards will.

Maybe one day stanford will fix ATI GPU clients, but for now we still wait.

That has to do with the ATI video cards that you are using. They thread hog 1 core each and do not let the SMP client make any progress. Based on the raw points you can earn, and the high clock on that 2600K, you are best off shutting down both GPU clients and letting the CPU run on its own, it will make over 30000 points a day and use a quarter of the electricity that the ATI cards will.

Maybe one day stanford will fix ATI GPU clients, but for now we still wait.

Lol omg you are right, doing 25k ppd without the GPUs working. :confused:

I've been doing this for a while ;)

That might go up too, if you just stopped the two ATI cards, the 2600K had been downloaded for a while and the client will reflect less bonus. BUT! You won't see the big points for about 2 days though. You will still have to complete 10 units with your passkey to get bonuses.

You did obtain yourself a passkey right?

Sure did. I did mess up when I signed up on the stats website tough .. cause it was asking me for a stats ID and I didnt have one or know where to get one and i just entered something random and now when I log into my account it goes to someone elses stats .. Anyway to fix that? I know my stats id now but it wont let me edit that in my user cp

Yeah completing my 3rd unit in about an hour... But my cpu is pretty much working 24/7 I only make it pause when I game.. which is not often these days.

Back