Starlink Public Beta About to Happen?!?!

Looking at your downtime stats, 17 seconds of downtime over 12 hours seems like nothing, but you still get problematic netflix pausing/rebuffering?
So not in that screen shot, every so often 1 time a day or so there will be a long enough one, I assume it's when finding the next satellite or something I will rebuffer Netflix. There are layers to this, we (the family) might be streaming 2 Netflix streams and someone will be on YouTube. So heavier usage but nothing a 150mbs connections shouldn't be able to handle. Point being is I never had this problem with my comcast 150mbps cable. That's why I said it, because it seems some people think this is the great savior to cut Comcast and I get it, I hated dealing with them. But their connection is superior at the moment. And people should have realistic expectations when entering a beta ISP :)

With that being said, it's not always 150mbs, there are "slower" satellites it seems, there are times I speed test and I have seen 45mbps.

As far as not getting a public IP, I've read that all you need to do is plug the cable directly into your router
I am using a Asus ax86u router, you can still use the starlink app to see the stats, and no it does not assign your own router a public IP.

So not in that screen shot, every so often 1 time a day or so there will be a long enough one, I assume it's when finding the next satellite or something I will rebuffer Netflix. There are layers to this, we (the family) might be streaming 2 Netflix streams and someone will be on YouTube. So heavier usage but nothing a 150mbs connections shouldn't be able to handle. Point being is I never had this problem with my comcast 150mbps cable. That's why I said it, because it seems some people think this is the great savior to cut Comcast and I get it, I hated dealing with them. But their connection is superior at the moment. And people should have realistic expectations when entering a beta ISP :)

With that being said, it's not always 150mbs, there are "slower" satellites it seems, there are times I speed test and I have seen 45mbps.

I am using a Asus ax86u router, you can still use the starlink app to see the stats, and no it does not assign your own router a public IP.

Completely agree with the expectations, a 100% uptime 150Mb stable connection would be superior right now. I did read that Starlink will be enabling some kind of wider band to allow even faster speeds in the near future. I don't believe they advertise as a cable replacement, nor that they provides a solid 150Mb, but they guarantee a 50Mb baseline, AFAIK. I usually get around 80-120Mb, but it does ramp up and down, I'm assuming from satellite proximity. I do see them replacing many cable providers if Starlink can ramp up their speeds and get over their tiny dropouts (with more satellites).

I'll see if I can route my public IP, and post the result. Apologies if the information I read was incorrect.

For sure, I am super excited for the future of it, Elon said 300mbps by the end of the year, we will see. Either way I am happy with what I have if it's all I get for a while.

I just see so many comments about people wanting to ditch thier "crappy" cable company haha.

Another concern no one brings up, is all the smart stuff is in the dish itself, that sits out in the elements all year, you can't just call someone like traditional satellite and have some one replace the dish tomorrow. You are out until they send a replacement. I haven't looked up if anyone is having issues in wet cold climates. I know they sent out a software update to increase the high temp threshold. What will that do to longevity. I assume this will not be the dish I have forever, I assume at some point I will need to replace it with some new better one. Or it will fail in the elements. Time will tell.

You may want to research that further. I've seen reports of Starlink not allowing transfers...

They are also working on a new version of the dish that is supose to reduce cost. The current dish also has a relatively low upper temperature limit that causes thermal shutdown outages in some areas.
Well its not a big deal. I can cancel preorder, yes that is valid, or I can take shipping and have a portable internet to take to my remote property for extended periods. Not a big deal.

Probably havent gotten the fulfilment yet because they are making the new dishes instead of shipping the old.

I hate comcast as a company. Truly hate.

However, I like SpaceEx alot. I like technology that seeks to help humanity, not enslave us.

I want to try it. If it doesnt pan out, I can easily sell the dish for 100% of what I paid right here on HF. Not a big deal. Plus peeps getting 200mbps and low latency. Not bad. When service is wide open, it will be gig speeds and lower latency especially when laser linking is activated.

Id rather my money go to advancement of humanity, not some corporate chicom controlled fake news pushing America hating junk business like Cumcast.
That's definitely an admirable reason to switch. It will be interesting to see if Starlink can actually reach the target 1 Gbps speeds. It would literally be world changing.

Probably havent gotten the fulfilment yet because they are making the new dishes instead of shipping the old.
A definite possibility. In one interview, Elon indicated the dishes were costing something like $1000 each. With them offering beta participates equipment at $500 each, they could well be limiting the supply until they can make them cheaper. Not to mention the chip shortage is surely affecting some aspect of the product.

On the transferring of equipment to another party, I did see speculation that it was a restriction for the beta program and would likely change when it goes retail...

On the transferring of equipment to another party, I did see speculation that it was a restriction for the beta program and would likely change when it goes retail...
This was my thought as well. I'm not sure it would even be legal at the moment to say you can't sell or transfer the equipment although the fact that it's in a limited participation beta might make a difference. However, once full rollout begins it's extremely unlikely this would continue and it would be stupid to do so anyway. I also don't see how there could be some technical limitation which would prevent it.

Even in this thread, the number of people who have better options and have gotten offered already is telling, while those of us that have no options are still waiting... Seems like they are not actually targeting those without options, which was hoping was the case but have been realizing isn't so. Still stuck on Hughesnet that drops out everytime it drizzles. I would be grateful for some of the internet you guys complain about, lol.

Even in this thread, the number of people who have better options and have gotten offered already is telling, while those of us that have no options are still waiting... Seems like they are not actually targeting those without options, which was hoping was the case but have been realizing isn't so. Still stuck on Hughesnet that drops out everytime it drizzles. I would be grateful for some of the internet you guys complain about, lol.
They may be testing out saturation capability as well. Choosing People based on location in proximity to other users.

I'm guessing we are in for a longer wait.:(:cry::(

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/sp...nk-launches-new-mobile-receiver-in-the-works/

Also, I received the T-Mobile Home Internet device. Shipped earlier than the estimated September. It's a refurb. Performance is very slightly better than my other cellular internet. Very very particular about location and orientation. I'm on the fringe service area. Getting 25-30 mb/down and maybe 2 mb/up. T-Mobile Customer Service / Support is about the worst thing I've ever experienced. I still can not log into my account. Jury is still out, but no up front cost and no contract...

I was reading about people with Starlink who have learned that birds, especially pigeons, love to rest on the warm dishes.

Pigeons live simple lives, they fly, they eat, they waddle around...

...and they shit.

They shit so much that it messes with the dish.

I was reading about people with Starlink who have learned that birds, especially pigeons, love to rest on the warm dishes.

Pigeons live simple lives, they fly, they eat, they waddle around...

...and they shit.

They shit so much that it messes with the dish.
Gotta put some plastic spikes on top the dish. XD

Well, according to Business Insider, many people are canceling their $100 deposits:

https://markets.businessinsider.com...deposit-wait-months-satellite-internet-2021-9

"
  • Some Starlink customers have canceled their $100 deposits after waiting months for the service.
  • They said they weren't able to contact SpaceX customer service to see when they'd get the kits.
  • SpaceX said the kits would arrive in mid- or late 2021, but some customers became fed up of waiting."

Well, according to Business Insider, many people are canceling their $100 deposits:

https://markets.businessinsider.com...deposit-wait-months-satellite-internet-2021-9

"
  • Some Starlink customers have canceled their $100 deposits after waiting months for the service.
  • They said they weren't able to contact SpaceX customer service to see when they'd get the kits.
  • SpaceX said the kits would arrive in mid- or late 2021, but some customers became fed up of waiting."
Disappointing. I'm moving out to the middle of nowhere and it would have been nice if this was somewhat up and running by now. Seems like Starlink is massively behind demand and not really being communicative with their customers/

"
I don't care how long I have to wait. My ISP is doodoo.

Seeing more and more of them turn up here locally in eastern canada, hearing great things first hand too 👌🏻.

Seeing more and more of them turn up here locally in eastern canada, hearing great things first hand too 👌🏻.
Same here in Alberta, have a few rural friends that got their and they love it. One of them gets just about 160mbps downloads off his, which for a guy on an acreage that use to be lucky to get 10mbps off cell internet he's super pleased.

Same here in Alberta, have a few rural friends that got their and they love it. One of them gets just about 160mbps downloads off his, which for a guy on an acreage that use to be lucky to get 10mbps off cell internet he's super pleased.
good to hear. seems i wont be finding out how it went for the school we got one for. i didnt get hired back and the guy that ordered it, based on my suggestion, retired(i was supposed to replace him).

I just got the email that my kit is ready (Northern California). I'm looking forward do doing significant testing compared to my existing Cable connection in terms of both speed and ping time to see if I want to keep it or return it within the 30 day window.

I just got the email that my kit is ready (Northern California). I'm looking forward do doing significant testing compared to my existing Cable connection in terms of both speed and ping time to see if I want to keep it or return it within the 30 day window.
They make any mention of data caps?

My order just got moved out till March 22 a few weeks ago. Mid-TN.

They make any mention of data caps?

No. As far as I know, it's unlimited. I did get some new hard drives recently though, so it's pretty much guaranteed that I will be using >2TB during those 30 days, probably more like 4-8TB. If it's going to be a problem, I'd rather find out sooner than later, so I don't plan to hold back.

Has anyone got theirs recently, with the new square dish and the new router?

I am slightly nervous in that before (with the older-generation dish and router), there was no issue using your own router instead of the one that they include, and the router that they included also had one LAN port. I'm reading that the new setup has no way to bypass the router, and the router has no LAN port either (WiFi only). Apparently you can buy an adapter to add an ethernet port, but it sounds like it would still be passing through the router. It doesn't sound like there is any way to manage the router either. So the only way I could use my existing router is to buy the LAN adapter and have a double-NAT issue? Is there any way to map ports at least using the new router?

Last edited:
Has anyone got theirs recently, with the new square dish and the new router?

I am slightly nervous in that before, there was no issue using your own router instead of the one that they include, and the router that they included also had one LAN port. I'm reading that the new setup has no way to bypass the router, and the router has no LAN port either (WiFi only). Apparently you can buy an adapter to add an ethernet port, but it sounds like it would still be passing through the router. It doesn't sound like there is any way to manage the router either. So the only way I could use my existing router is to buy the LAN adapter and have a double-NAT issue? Is there any way to map ports at least using the new router?
https://spaceexplored.com/2021/11/1...starlink-user-terminal-router-loses-ethernet/

Not looking good. Fuck proprietary.

It's very difficult to get a clear idea of what I'll be working with, assuming I get the new generation equipment. The amount of conflicting information on the internet right now is pretty crazy. Most still have the old equipment, and it's hard to try and search for experiences from people who are actually using the new gear. I saw a post saying that they plan to add router bypass functionality. Another post that said they already added it via firmware. I guess we'll see.

I went ahead and ordered an ethernet adapter from their shop. Interestingly, there was a warning about that item experiencing higher than normal demand so I wonder if it will arrive with my dish. Hopefully it at least arrives before the 30 day return window is over. I want to be able to measure the latency without adding any extra due to WiFi. If there is a router bypass function, i'm not sure how that would work using only WiFi. I do have an extra WiFi extender, with an ethernet port, that I could use as a bridge, so I could hook the WAN port of my router to the WiFi network. But even if that works, that would be super ghetto...

I have to be able to use my own router. I have pfsense configured exactly how I want, and even the simple stuff like all the static IP mappings (via the DHCP server) I have setup for my IP security cameras, etc, would be very difficult to leave behind. If there isn't at least some way to map ports to the external IP, then that's going to be a deal breaker :(

Still haven’t gotten any inkling off when I’ll be receiving mine. I think I’m just going to cancel

I just found this on the Starlink site, in their support section. It seems that there is a "Bypass mode" on the new router, but it does require the external ethernet adapter.

Bypass mode can be enabled via the Starlink App under "Settings". Bypass mode will completely disable the built-in Starlink WiFi router functionality. An Ethernet Adapter is required to use this feature. A manual factory reset is required to reverse the setting.

I have installed 2 in the last week in eastern canada and both were still the old router with the port, zero issues sitting up 1 with Cx owned Router

I have installed 2 in the last week in eastern canada and both were still the old router with the port, zero issues sitting up 1 with Cx owned Router

I've been doing a lot of hunting for info over the last few days since I have my kit on it's way. I've seen many reports that people in the US are getting the new square dish but those outside the US are still getting the older dish. I can't confirm, but I have read several people saying that.

My current ISP has every port blocked and the router/modem is locked down. I called them to ask for the login to put their router into bridge mode and then they lectured me on how people don't know how to use routers so I am not allowed to configure anything. So even if Starlink requires some bullshit ethernet adapter for bridge mode, then that's fine by me.

My current ISP has every port blocked and the router/modem is locked down. I called them to ask for the login to put their router into bridge mode and then they lectured me on how people don't know how to use routers so I am not allowed to configure anything. So even if Starlink requires some bullshit ethernet adapter for bridge mode, then that's fine by me.

While they are not incorrect.... Hell, even IT people get lazy and cause themselves problems.

That seems a bit heavy handed.

I personally would prefer that it comes with satellite.

I would imagine the unit itself can keep itself warm in cold temperatures, assuming it has power. But the upper limit of 122* seems very easy to hit on a roof in the summer anywhere south of Ohio. I wonder if people have tried putting fans or forced air underneath it for summer operation. Maybe even water lines epoxied to the underside.

I would imagine the unit itself can keep itself warm in cold temperatures, assuming it has power. But the upper limit of 122* seems very easy to hit on a roof in the summer anywhere south of Ohio. I wonder if people have tried putting fans or forced air underneath it for summer operation. Maybe even water lines epoxied to the underside.
What about a thin cotton sheet to act as a sun shade. I think cotton shouldn't affect the signal too much?

What about a thin cotton sheet to act as a sun shade. I think cotton shouldn't affect the signal too much?
It doesn't take much to block a starlink signal. Just think about the huge disparity in wall penetration between 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi. well starlink uses frequencies as high as 40Ghz. Unfortunately you pretty much need line of sight at that frequency. Not far from the semi-failed wigig standard that uses 60Ghz and can't even penetrate a cubicle wall.

Back