Starlink Public Beta About to Happen?!?!

unfortunateson

Limp Gawd
Oof, that might be an issue. I wonder how it will do in the south Florida summer heat all day for 8 months straight.
In my location, summer temps generally hover around 105-115 degrees. Currently the temps are between 85-90 degrees during the day. I've not had problems yet due to heat, but will report if I experience a heat related issue.

Armenius

Fully [H]
In my location, summer temps generally hover around 105-115 degrees. Currently the temps are between 85-90 degrees during the day. I've not had problems yet due to heat, but will report if I experience a heat related issue.
Thanks. The beta opens up in my area later in the summer when it gets hottest (August-September).

Wat

Limp Gawd
I think 104f is the air temp. The dish focus does get hot.
But this is nothing new, satellite TV dishes can survive it.
Don't know how much more delicate the starlink electronics will be

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I live 40 mi N of Atlanta and I paid my 99 deposit months ago, we can expect qround late summer they said. Itbgets into 80s to 90s here so hot but 100% humidity. Lets see how Starlink holds up to lobster pot levels of wet heat.

I have 1.2gbps comcrap and yes im willing to ditch that shitbucket business for Elon Musks outfit

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I've read mixed feelings on this. Some say it's great and some complain about dropped internet times.

It's extremely dependent on your view of the sky, especially until there are more satellites. And when I say view of the sky, I don't just mean straight-up. How open your view of the horizon is can have an impact also, as the dish attempts to remain in contact with every satellite that it can from the moment a satellite rises on one side of the sky to the moment it sets on the other side. Something as simple as a tree or a utility pole on your property can disrupt your connection as a satellite passes behind it. It's very different than traditional satellite services where you just have a single geosynchronous satellite that doesn't move across the sky, you only really need a clear view of that one satellite, and you simply aim your dish at that one spot in the sky.

The default Starlink kit is a bit obnoxious in this respect, as it only comes with a ground stand. You can mount it on the roof, but you have to buy an optional roof mount.

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
It's extremely dependent on your view of the sky, especially until there are more satellites. And when I say view of the sky, I don't just mean straight-up. How open your view of the horizon is can have an impact also, as the dish attempts to remain in contact with every satellite that it can from the moment a satellite rises on one side of the sky to the moment it sets on the other side. Something as simple as a tree or a utility pole on your property can disrupt your connection as a satellite passes behind it. It's very different than traditional satellite services where you just have a single geosynchronous satellite that doesn't move across the sky, you only really need a clear view of that one satellite, and you simply aim your dish at that one spot in the sky.

The default Starlink kit is a bit obnoxious in this respect, as it only comes with a ground stand. You can mount it on the roof, but you have to buy an optional roof mount.

Well starlink is phased array and has a self tracking motor in it. So maybe with more sats up, projected to 12,000 the service will be very stable and fast. Right now its about 800 up.

pendragon1

Fully [H]
yeah 104f/40c does seem awfully low considering how many places get to that and above...
we're still waitin on out beta kit.

Well starlink is phased array and has a self tracking motor in it. So maybe with more sats up, projected to 12,000 the service will be very stable and fast. Right now its about 800 up.
The 800 number is a little dated. They have almost 1400 up now. They've launched around 480 this year, so far. Between 240 and 300 of those are not yet in final position. Generally, they take a couple of months for them to achieve their assigned orbits.

I've read mixed feelings on this. Some say it's great and some complain about dropped internet times.

A great site was posted earlier in this thread. https://satellitemap.space It shows the orbits of satellites currently up. If you go into settings and enable "RINGS", it will show an approximation of the ground coverage. As others have indicated trees and local geography also play a big factor, but still you can see where the major holes exist.

Last edited:

Armenius

Fully [H]
The 800 number is a little dated. They have almost 1400 up now. They've launched around 480 this year, so far. Between 240 and 300 are up but not yet in final position. Generally, they take a couple of months for them to achieve their assigned orbits.

A great site was posted earlier in this thread. https://satellitemap.space It shows the orbits of satellites currently up. If you go into setting and enabled "RINGS", it will show an approximation of the ground coverage. As others have indicated trees and local geography also play a big factor, but still you can see where the major holes exist.
What is with the conga lines of satellites dancing over the oceans? Is that to overcome any line of sight issues?

What is with the conga lines of satellites dancing over the oceans? Is that to overcome any line of sight issues?
If you're referring to the closely spaced (yellow rings), those are the latest launches that have not had a chance to spread out and achieve their "final" orbits.

I have not come across anything on the reasoning for their orbital dynamics. But I would assume, it was chosen to help maximize coverage. If you watch carefully, you can see that different groups move in different direction (primarily up / down).

Here's another site I stumbled across. It shows approximate network availability for each cell. Clicking on a cell will display details.

It looks like the Well World. I wonder if Musk is a Markovian...

Also, I saw that a few invites went out in the NC area.

EDIT: Looks like this site is no longer updated. Sorry.

Last edited:

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Found another site that allows you to place your location and estimate cover. Other site was not updated in a while.

https://starlink.sx/

THis is great. Here is for Atlanta GA Region - I live about 40 miles N of the city

THis prediction looks outstanding to me! Very little slowdowns if any at all and almost no dropout. That will mean when more satellites are up, and they just put 60 more up a few days ago, the drop outs are going to be near zero to none at all with an increase in bandwidth

As I have already pre-ordered my dish, and patiently waiting to kick Cumcast to the curb, this looks promising for me to have a solid dependable internet connection away from Super Corporate Cancel Culture Pandering Monopolistic Theiving and Morally Depraved Comcrap.

1620245715885.png

Armenius

Fully [H]
THis is great. Here is for Atlanta GA Region - I live about 40 miles N of the city

THis prediction looks outstanding to me! Very little slowdowns if any at all and almost no dropout. That will mean when more satellites are up, and they just put 60 more up a few days ago, the drop outs are going to be near zero to none at all with an increase in bandwidth

As I have already pre-ordered my dish, and patiently waiting to kick Cumcast to the curb, this looks promising for me to have a solid dependable internet connection away from Super Corporate Cancel Culture Pandering Monopolistic Theiving and Morally Depraved Comcrap.

View attachment 353540
Not as good in my area yet, but it's not officially launching until August-September. I'm sure more satellites will be covering my area by then.

View attachment 353540
Please, take the time out of your day to tell us how you really feel :p