Starforce: Yes it is really that bad!

DukenukemX

Supreme [H]ardness
Source

Now, Futuremark has uncovered a very dangerous anti-piracy system Starforce is now using. This copy protection system installs a driver that runs at the highest level of access on the system, which gives it low level access to the PCs hardware and any drivers and processes. This driver runs regardless of whether the game runs; keeping an eye out for any suspicious activity such as attempting to copy a protected disc. If something suspicious is detected, it forces the PC to make an immediate reboot, regardless of any other applications running and whether or not the user has any unsaved work.

From what I understand is that Starforce sends the DVD or CD reader into an infinite loop which will cause the OS to crash and restart.

Now that's evil!

Starforce is as good as dead.

In a year I don't think we'll even be talking about it and companies will re-release their product w/ some other form of protection.

The shit they have pulled is one of the reasons why I just bought GalCiv2. Support those companies who don't believe in crap like Starforce.

well fuck me sideways.

after some reading of that link, i was sure i recognized starforce from somewhere.
i bought a game called trackmania sunrise, loved it. but my computer started locking up alot. and CoD2 refused to play in dx9 mode. turns out that starforce, coupled with ati drivers, will kill alot of games.

i reinstalled my entire operating system to fix that fucking glitch. i want legal action.

Ocean said:
i want legal action.

No problem.
Just fly to Moscow, repeat the problem, show them the line of code in starforce that caused the problem in the first, and they'll give you 5 rubbles and cab fare back to the airport.
(Making fun of Starforce not you)

Seriously, nothing these crietons pull is going to surprise me at this point. The old saying: the cure is worse than the disease seems appropriate to Starforce. Copy protection is a bigger problem than the piracy it's meant to stop, certainly the case for consumers. Hopefully it will soon be true for developers as well.

Go buy Galactic Civilizations II. Support a company that treats customers right.

TrueBuckeye said:
The shit they have pulled is one of the reasons why I just bought GalCiv2. Support those companies who don't believe in crap like Starforce.

That's the exact same reason I bought GalCiv2. Sent the company an email too, to let them know that the reason that I even looked into GalCiv2 was their copyprotection scheme...and realized that it was a good game to boot picked it up.

I bet that's the problem for all my friends who are having trouble burning disks. Good thing there's a tool to remove it.

Back