Stardock wants to update the classics

best quote of all time (in reference to making games):

"Don't go off and say, 'I have my own artistic vision,'" continued Wardell. "Okay, good--so call it something else. Don't ride the coattails of the people who came before you to launch your own artistic vision."

Wardell is enthusiastic about the prospect of an isometric RPG in the spirit of BioWare's Baldur's Gate II. Such a game would have "the same style of isometric gameplay--not first person--where I have a party that I'm interacting with." He concluded, "I think there are a lot of people who want that."
And he's right.

I like the veiled shot at Fallout 3, and also the pledge to make the last game in isometric style ... I recall there are a few people in this forum who would buy that regardless of whether it was good. :p

Weird. I'm currently listening to the Baldur's Gate 2 music (yeah I'm bored) and I see the game is mentioned in that article. Mmmm... more isometric RPGs...

I think all you guys are crazy, nothing is better than hearing of a real successor to star control 2 one of the best games of all time hands down...and a baldurs gate 2 style game ahhh my mind almost explodes from the beauty.

Why MOO2, why not MOO1. MOO1 was so much better than any of the sequels. Damn you stardock! I want my updated MOO1! :D

I would kill for a true sequel to StarControl 2!!! :eek:

Being able to duel online with a pkunk space ship would kick serious ass :D

Oh yeah, Planescape Torment 2 would fucking rock!!!!!!!

although i doubt it happening, here's my wishlist:

system shock 3
freespace 3
privateer 3

and maybe even a remake of system shock 1...same thing just update the engine/graphics.

Why MOO2, why not MOO1. MOO1 was so much better than any of the sequels. Damn you stardock! I want my updated MOO1! :D

Huh?

MOO2 has been highly regarded for the last decade as the gold standard of 4x gameplay. I'm not sure why you would say MOO1 would be the one to beat.... MOO2 was on the same scale as the Civilization series with regard to overall sales and name recognition.

And don't even get me started on MOO3.... *SIGH*

As for the OP, I'd be thrilled if a new(er) Star Control-themed game came out! I'm not sure why they think SC3 was so bad--the storyline was pretty entertaining, I thought. I still enjoy listening to the Daktaklakpak on Youtube! Nothing like being called a "minimally sentient being" over and over to make you feel inferior. :)

2.png

I'm looking forward to Stardock's Elemental next year, it's supposed to be the spirutal successor to Master of Magic, built on a brand new engine which will later be used for GalCiv III.

This IS pretty much what everyone REALLY wants.

You want to do new 'artistic vision'? IE - You want to create a new post-apocalyptic game with a first-person point of view? Fine! Yes, indeed - DO THAT! People will buy it and have fun! Don't call it 'Fallout 3' when it has nothing in common with the other 2.

But gamers DO want updates. 'Modern' 3d engine, runs easily on all new operating systems, better sampled audio, better textures...same SPIRIT of gameplay, though.

But that doesn't mean we don't ALSO want new ideas, too. Just call them new things! And give us updates we can play of the games we used to have fun with! It's absolutely true gamers want both things, and the cry that "well you can't have both in the same game" is also true...but nobody said we WANTED both things in the same game.

Hell yes make Star Control! To hell with every other game if they made a new Star Control that was even only just as good as Star Control 2.

To quote Steve Ballmer, "I have four words for you: I LOVE THIS COMPANY!"

I'd consider doing grievous bodily harm for an updated Dungeon keeper type game. :D

This! X wing would be fun too, not hard to make both relatively cheaply these days either I bet.

I have never understood why X-wing and Tie Fighter were not remade yet. The actual ship to ship combat was the best of any space sim I have ever played, and the campaigns were both ridiculously fun, exciting, and challenging.

There are hundreds of games that are single player that the co's could update and people would buy over the 15 minute crap they are putting out now.

How much time and money would it take to upgrade a normal 1998 game to the hardware levels of today.
They don't have to touch the game play or anything else.

Look at farcry...great game and the video is still ok by todays standards. How long was that game be Today. It would be the first chapter and a little more for the ending.
2-3 hrs of game play and $49

give us the old games with new graphics and NONE of the bs we see today.
HELL the intros on the old games were longer than the games of today .

Carmageddon...what happened it was going to be upgraded 3 yrs ago
Syndicate
Crusader
MMO1 was a blast
after that all I can remember was MMO3 which was a civ clone in space....SUCKED

there are tons of old games no one has ever played that would be better than what we are getting now.

online...weeee....punklooser lets every hack in the world play

tie fighter, tie fighter, tie fighter, tie fighter...

Or X-Wing. But I want a real update. I can take mouse/keyboard controls, but damnit, give me a fully functional 3d cockpit like we had back in the day.

Indeed. MOO's planet development using slider bars was superior to MOO2's copy of Civ style building development. Civ's system was a compromise because it was originally a boardgame. MOO's system was clearly superior, and they shouldn't have copied Civ just because it was popular.

Seriously, raise your hand if you would pay 60 bucks for tiefighter + xwing + all expansions with merely upgraded graphics and sounds?
I say charge $100 for this:

- New TIE Fighter. Not just a remake, but a new game -- a reboot of the series. DVD/Blu-ray one.
- X-Wing/TIE Fighter overhaul. Take the new engine, wrap the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter around it. DVD two.
- X-Wing/TIE Fighter functional update. Take the old games and get them going natively on XP/Vista -- no DOSBox. CD/DVD three.
- X-Wing and TIE Fighter Redbook soundtracks from the collector's editions of those respective games. CDs four and five.
- Whatever hardcover art books/making of DVDs/pewter X-Wings and TIE Fighters and so forth you'd usually find in any decent collector's edition.

I would love a remake of Mechwarrior 2 with DX10 graphics... and I'm not talking the multiplayer Crysis mod that's in development.

Others that I'd love to see

Heavy Gear 2
Arcanum
MechCommander

I'm still waiting on the Black Mesa HL1 Source Mod... :(

isometric is and always will be my favorite type of games.

A redone Blade Runner would be great. Or any of the old Lucas Art adventure games, would be nice with a graphics update.

I say charge $100 for this:

- New TIE Fighter. Not just a remake, but a new game -- a reboot of the series. DVD/Blu-ray one.
- X-Wing/TIE Fighter overhaul. Take the new engine, wrap the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter around it. DVD two.
- X-Wing/TIE Fighter functional update. Take the old games and get them going natively on XP/Vista -- no DOSBox. CD/DVD three.
- X-Wing and TIE Fighter Redbook soundtracks from the collector's editions of those respective games. CDs four and five.
- Whatever hardcover art books/making of DVDs/pewter X-Wings and TIE Fighters and so forth you'd usually find in any decent collector's edition.

I would buy it in a heartbeat. I would pre-order it today, putting the full $100 down, if you told me it was coming out two years from now.

Back