Stardew Valley creator would like everyone to please calm down

erek

[H]F Junkie
Looks like a good classic RPG here. Hmm!

"It's understandable that he'd want to manage expectations, especially at this very early stage of the process. Stardew Valley is a legitimate indie phenomenon, and the expectations for the followup will inevitably be very high. Why let the hype machine, and the attendant pressure, spin up now, when the release of these games is years—possibly a lot of years—away?"

1581701057867.png

https://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-valley-creator-would-like-everyone-to-please-calm-down/

I've had this game forever, but never really had a chance to play it.

It looks great. If I had a Nintendo Switch I'd probably play on the shitter.

SDV is pretty amazing. Casual, calming, always something to do/manage. I too, await what future games Eric (ConcernedApe) will produce, I can say at least from my perspective, it'll be worth the wait. People are so impatient haha.

In order for this thread to make sense, the actual context of the quote is that the creator of SDV tweeted about making another game and fans were more enthusiastic than he expected.

Lets get that no mans sky hype for a game made by one guy.
Stardew is great, he filled in the harvest moon genera that no one was making. Hard to follow that up.

Reactions: Jelly
like this
"Nominal developer Chris Roberts would like everyone to please calm down and that operators are standing by to receive their donation."

Stardew Valley, is a nice fun game, but it is grindy AF. You have an energy gauge and you better get back to your house before you collapse from exhaustion, and everything you do takes energy from walking a step, to doing work on your farm, there's a social system in play so if you want to be nice with someone you need to run around each day and talk nice to them, an upgrade system with tools and what not, overall it's a whole lot of doing very little each day and going through the seasons... oh yeah and there is seasonal variations. It's actually quite a complex game, you quite literally can't do everything you want, you want to fish? you want to farm? you want to raising animals? you want to go adventuring? It very much is one of those carrot on a stick games, very task driven.

I will say I liked playing it by cheating the stamina aspect to let me do what I want to do in a given day.

I've had this game forever, but never really had a chance to play it.

It looks great. If I had a Nintendo Switch I'd probably play on the shitter.
Controls on the switch version are pretty terrible. Game was made for PC, and it's pretty clear in the control scheme.

Stardew Valley, is a nice fun game, but it is grindy AF. You have an energy gauge and you better get back to your house before you collapse from exhaustion, and everything you do takes energy from walking a step, to doing work on your farm, there's a social system in play so if you want to be nice with someone you need to run around each day and talk nice to them, an upgrade system with tools and what not, overall it's a whole lot of doing very little each day and going through the seasons... oh yeah and there is seasonal variations. It's actually quite a complex game, you quite literally can't do everything you want, you want to fish? you want to farm? you want to raising animals? you want to go adventuring? It very much is one of those carrot on a stick games, very task driven.

I will say I liked playing it by cheating the stamina aspect to let me do what I want to do in a given day.

I love Stardew Valley but yeah, these days I also cheat a little bit of Stamina boost because in the beginning the character is weaker than a wet noodle who has never done anything harder than lift a soda can while in front of a computer. (Which is technically true, he was an office worker in the intro afrerall) But yeah, just like in real life you simply cannot do everything even if you wanted to. Not at the same time anyway. You have to have a focus and not spread yourself too thin.

In order for this thread to make sense, the actual context of the quote is that the creator of SDV tweeted about making another game and fans were more enthusiastic than he expected.
Yes, this made zero sense without context, thanks. Almost as little sense as the fact that people actually like these games that look and play like they were made in 1989.

Yes, this made zero sense without context, thanks. Almost as little sense as the fact that people actually like these games that look and play like they were made in 1989.
It's the whole "retro" vibe, granted not super pixelated NES days, but more like SNES. But the idea is make games that are fun to play first and foremost, and people will play them more than something that's just masturbation for the eyes.

It's the whole "retro" vibe, granted not super pixelated NES days, but more like SNES. But the idea is make games that are fun to play first and foremost, and people will play them more than something that's just masturbation for the eyes.
I prefer games that are both fun to play and look good and modern. And if I occasionally want retro I'd rather play actual retro games than these fake retro ones.

I prefer games that are both fun to play and look good and modern.
Gameplay > Graphics. As for the second part there is a massive difference between AAA and indie titles. Or more directly a bigger difference between budgets and team size. If you're a smaller company the first thing that always is cut is graphics.

And if I occasionally want retro I'd rather play actual retro games than these fake retro ones.
Which is perfectly valid. You can make any choices based on any criteria you want. But creating a retro looking game is just a style intended to overcome the cost associated with creating a AAA title. If the games aren't for you, fine, but unwillingness to play them based on graphics alone just makes you miss out.
I personally have zero interest in Minecraft. But it definitely proved the point that great design and great game play reaches people far more than something that just looks slick. To reiterate, if you have to cut something it can never be gameplay.

I prefer games that are both fun to play and look good and modern. And if I occasionally want retro I'd rather play actual retro games than these fake retro ones.
That's fine, you're more than welcome to do whatever you find fun. Others might want to play games that have a lot more to them then actual games of the 90s.

"I don't like this thing so people playing it are dumb".

"I don't like this thing so people playing it are dumb".
You're saying they are dumb, I actually said it makes no sense. As in I don't understand. I don't understand people who want to swim with dolphins either, and a lot of others. Are they dumb too?

You're saying they are dumb, I actually said it makes no sense. As in I don't understand. I don't understand people who want to swim with dolphins either, and a lot of others. Are they dumb too?
Misread your wording, thought you said people playing them had no sense.

As for why people play it, it’s a really good game that makes good use of its art style. I’m not usually a fan of retro looking games either (there’s just too many of them that look nearly identical) but I love Harvest Moon and this really scratches that itch.

In all honesty most of these retro style games do things that would have been impossible on old hardware. They are very much modern games with modern sensibilities, just with retro look. It is just a style that people enjoy. I admit there is a healthy dose of nostalgia involved but I also love well done pixel art. I guess brain fills the gaps where it lacks the actual real life fidelity, it gets my imagination running. Dunno, it just ticks my boxes.

Back