Starctaft 2 Collectors Edition

XLeezardx

[H]ardChef
Just pre-ordered my first CE of any video game. Did I make a dumb purchase?

I don't think so. I pre-ordered mine since I know a lot of the extras will be worth the price to me. Any sort of special edition of a game has a value that is determined by the person who purchased it.

Last edited:
Buying SC2 in CE is a fantastic choice. Support people who still make games with the pure intention of selling millions of copies and having everyone love it.

I ordered a while back, can't wait to receive mine at the end of the month! :)

Now I just need a Vidoe card. I still have the old AMD X2 2.2ghz 2GB, is this good enough specs to play?

StarCraft II System Requirements

The system requirements for the StarCraft II Beta are as follows:

PC Requirements
PC Minimum System Requirements*:

Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
12 GB available HD space
1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection
1024X720 minimum display resolution

PC Recommended System Requirements:

Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
2 GB RAM
512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better
*Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.

Source: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=26242

What did you pay for it? I got 2 of em for $80 each overnight shipped. The only dumb thing may have been paying full price. :D

I pre ordered Collectors Edition myself. Why not, it's only money.

How did you do that without barely any effort and special coupons?

I had it pre ordered on Amazon but then switched the order to the regular one. Kind of regretting that now and Amazon is out of the CE.

Dang, thinking I should have pre-ordered it. I played the Beta for a bit, but didn't really get into it. Now it seems it is sold out everywhere. Amazon has a few folks selling it at $150ish, and newegg even though sold out has it listed at $100.

I don't like RTS games but I may have to pick this one up, especially when it supports 3D, that could be intresting.

People go crazy over getting CE's for Blizzard games. I think it's because the first CE for World of Warcraft was actually limited and sells for $1500+ unused now.

They make so many of them now that they have poor resale value.

Example. Because of the high resale of the original CE people went nuts buying the CE for The Burning Crusade. A couple weeks after the expansion went live, you could buy them off ebay cheaper than you could from a store.

I have two WoW accounts. One has all 3 CE's on it and one only has the CE's from the expansions.

I think Blizzard does a good job with what they put in them. If you want the CE because you love the game then you'll do fine. If buy one because you want to sell it later, don't bother. I can almost guarantee that if you walk into a Best Buy on 7/27/2010 you'll be able to pick one up off the selves.

I'm selling the WOW pet to a friend to recoup some of the cost. The fact that it comes with a raynor thumb drive with SC1 on it is worth it to me since I've long lost my SC1 disks.

I'm selling the WOW pet to a friend to recoup some of the cost. The fact that it comes with a raynor thumb drive with SC1 on it is worth it to me since I've long lost my SC1 disks.

I wouldn't count on selling that. Unless you know how it's going to work, I bet they are just making it so any battle.net account that has a SC2 CE and WoW on it automatically has the pet attached to the WoW account/license.

People go crazy over getting CE's for Blizzard games. I think it's because the first CE for World of Warcraft was actually limited and sells for $1500+ unused now.

They make so many of them now that they have poor resale value.

Example. Because of the high resale of the original CE people went nuts buying the CE for The Burning Crusade. A couple weeks after the expansion went live, you could buy them off ebay cheaper than you could from a store.

I have two WoW accounts. One has all 3 CE's on it and one only has the CE's from the expansions.

I think Blizzard does a good job with what they put in them. If you want the CE because you love the game then you'll do fine. If buy one because you want to sell it later, don't bother. I can almost guarantee that if you walk into a Best Buy on 7/27/2010 you'll be able to pick one up off the selves.

I still have some extra BC CE sitting my closet because even to this day they are selling for less than retail value on eBay (lesson learned)... You are right SC2 CE is going to be the same way the are going to mass produce them and all you have to do is call your local BB, Walmart, Target and make sure they are getting CE and not just the regular version. You should be all set to grab one the next day.

can't you download SC1 from battle.net?
Thats how I got mine.

Well I lucked with my ce for sc2 today. I asked if they were still doing preorders and he said they were all "sold out", turns out instead of oordering 10 copies someone miss typed the order sheet and hit 9 instead of 0. So they have 9 more ccopies than they should, and there not suppost to pre-sell them but they will if any one specificly asks for a ce preorder lol. They apperently sold the priginal 10 on day 1 and started turning everyone away, by the time they re alized the mistake anyone that really cared had been turnt down and stopped trying so they have a bunch of extras there going to have to sell on the floor lol, oh well worked out good for me lol, top it off my bday is right after the launch date so I asked for gift cards to pay for it, the ce wont cost me more thsn my $5 deposit lol

do you still have your cd keys? You cna just register the keys on the blizzard store and use the digital copies

Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
I preordered the CE the first day I knew I could. Most of my games are bought on Steam sales for dirt cheap & for a game with this much polish it's good to have something physical to show for it. Since the Beta came back online today I get even more play time! As for your specs you should be fine, just get something modern enough. As for how Jutsu got 2 CE's for $80 that is suspect....

I ordered a while back, can't wait to receive mine at the end of the month! :)

My main problem with the CE edition is that the only thing I would want is the soundtrack and maybe the dog tag usb drive. The rest I could live without.

i'm sure you'll be able to find a thumbdrive on ebay not long after they're out. and also you can make them yourself. there are plenty of guides if you google it

My main problem with the CE edition is that the only thing I would want is the soundtrack and maybe the dog tag usb drive. The rest I could live without.

I know i want the usb drive and the wow pet, I need a new drive since my brother lost mine. And the comic book, soundtrack and dvd arn't a huge deal but I'll defiantly view them with interest, only thing that is not much of a deal to me and probably wont get looked at unless my net goes down is the art book lol. That and having a cool looking collectors edition box never hurts to see on the shelf.

IMHO, you must totally love Starcraft 2 and love the world and characters and art design and music completely for you to pay so much money for this collector's edition when you know they will gouge you for the next two games for the Zerg and Protoss campaign just as well...and we are already being gouged by having the game split into three.

20100410goodieshigh.jpg

Making of DVD? Not very exciting. Comic book? Probably has bad art in the Blizzard art style which I dislike. I can only accept it when the details are pixelized during the game to the point where my imagination takes over. Same goes for the art book. SC2's style just seems like another American art style take on Warhammer, something I've always thought was uncreative and unappealing..stimmed up steroid driven humans with muscly armor.

The music CD? From what I've heard, I don't enjoy it as much as the original SC soundtrack which oddly enough reminded me of Transformers the Movie (1986).

The WoW pet? I guess if you are into WoW and MMOs and think that having a unique item that other people can see really fulfills your needs in life for distinction and happiness (see wearing hats in TF2).

Exclusive DLCs from Battlenet? Why don't they tell us what those are? Are they usable game features or just more art/music/reading, etc.?

Finally, the USB drive is sort of cool but it's just a cheap chinese made toy with very little capacity including games I already purchased 12 years ago. Isn't really that unique looking or interesting enough to justify.

Last edited:
Buying SC2 in CE is a fantastic choice. Support people who still make games with the pure intention of selling millions of copies and having everyone love it.

lol, because most other people want their creations to tank? you should support whatever game developers you like... the fact something sold millions doesn't make a game good to everyone (especially me).

IMHO, you must totally love Starcraft 2 and love the world and characters and art design and music completely for you to pay so much money for this collector's edition when you know they will gouge you for the next two games for the Zerg and Protoss campaign just as well...and we are already being gouged by having the game split into three.

20100410goodieshigh.jpg

Making of DVD? Not very exciting. Comic book? Probably has bad art in the Blizzard art style which I dislike. I can only accept it when the details are pixelized during the game to the point where my imagination takes over. Same goes for the art book. SC2's style just seems like another American art style take on Warhammer, something I've always thought was uncreative and unappealing..stimmed up steroid driven humans with muscly armor.

The music CD? From what I've heard, I don't enjoy it as much as the original SC soundtrack which oddly enough reminded me of Transformers the Movie (1986).

The WoW pet? I guess if you are into WoW and MMOs and think that having a unique item that other people can see really fulfills your needs in life for distinction and happiness (see wearing hats in TF2).

Exclusive DLCs from Battlenet? Why don't they tell us what those are? Are they usable game features or just more art/music/reading, etc.?

Finally, the USB drive is sort of cool but it's just a cheap chinese made toy with very little capacity including games I already purchased 12 years ago. Isn't really that unique looking or interesting enough to justify.

Since I'm a Terran player this time around for SC2, I'll be getting this for sure. The stuff entices me.

I'm buying it for the in-game items primarily. A Thor in WoW, and special DLC including exclusive unit models in SC2 itself. While it will be tempting to use them on my accounts, I'm considering selling them depending on how much they go for. Word has it they may be over $400, especially once the game launches and the collector's editions are sold out.

pre ordered the CE and can't wait. No CE is ever needed but adds to the excitement of the release. Blizzard is a company I like to support and like their RTS games quite a bit. So getting the CE was a no brainer.

Hasn't the stupid price "gouging" issue been beaten enough? The price for the CE is reasonable. It's also reasonable for blizzard to release 3 campaigns, one for each race as long as it's a full campaign for each race. People are acting like it's going to be the same exact story and campaign for every race and all they're doing is changing the character models out. It will be 3 entire games worth. It's also reasonable for them to price the regular game at $60, which has been standard for releases in the past. with blizzard you always get what you pay for.

with blizzard you always get what you pay for.

mmm, careful with that. Because Activision now has a lot of say.

Clearly the reason behind releasing 3 games is to make more money, but I'm not going to hate on them for that. There's also other decisions that are just 'in for the money' type decisions such as the custom map marketplace. But that's just how things are these days...

They're releasing one game and two expansions, this isn't unusual for blizzard. People need to quit thinking of it as a game split into three, Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty has a longer campaign then the original Starcraft and it IS a full game by its self.

Who said SC2: WOL is a normal Blizzard game split in three? That would imply it is 1/3 as long as Starcraft when it is at least that long. The following SC2 games for Zerg and Protoss will be just as big. Were you complaining about Starcraft being split in two with Brood War? How about Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne?

You aren't getting a game split in three, you are getting two expansions instead of just one. I don't see any reason to complain about that.

Then don't buy it, play it, look at it, speak of it, think of it. I ordered it so that must make me a Blizzard shill and a stupid moron. Thanks for your wisdom, insight, and superior opinion.

Every time i buy a Blizzard collector's edition game I'm typically pleased with the included material. I loved the original art books I have from the Warcraft 2 Battle Chest, never gets old. Also I think the dog tag is a nice thing to have, you can pop it into a computer and load up the original Starcraft any where you please. I'll probably only read the comic book once, and I'll probably only watch the DVD once, but the music is pretty impressive. As a musician and a composer, I'll certainly listen to it a few times, I think it's a pretty exciting package, and certainly worth the extra fourty bucks. Remember, it's a collectors edition, it's not for people new to Starcraft or Blizzard games. I'm just a fan like any one else, and these are my favorite games because they harken back to my childhood, and they're complex, invigorating, and fun.

I can't believe we still got ignorant people thinking Blizzard split the game in 3. Sigh...

Back