Starcraft Scaling Problems Nvidia vs ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.

switchg3ar

Limp Gawd
Well I just switched over to the red team and and I noticed that Starcraft looks very grainy. I've played with different setting within the ATI driver menu. Different scaling options GPU enabled monitor enabled etc. I'm running windows 7 64 bit with 30 inch monitor. My monitor does not has a scaler built in (dell 3007).

I have included two different screen shots taken with the same computer/monitor except one is with the ati card and the other is with the nvidia card. The difference is like night and day. Is there something I can do to improve the ati scaling or just sell the card?

sc2.jpg

sc3.jpg

sc1.jpg

Last edited:
Test a game that uses 3D. These cards aren't made to play 2D games and Starcraft isn't made to run at high resolutions. You're streching a 2D game across a big screen it's going to look distorted. There's mods for running starcraft in windowed mode but the max resolution is like 600x800 so it's kinda effed up. Maybe disabling CCC would fix it, I'm not sure.

Your screen shots appear 403: forbidden to me.

Last edited:
Test a game that uses 3D. These cards aren't made to play 2D games and Starcraft isn't made to run at high resolutions. You're streching a 2D game across a big screen it's going to look distorted. There's mods for running starcraft in windowed mode but the max resolution is like 600x800 so it's kinda effed up. Maybe disabling CCC would fix it, I'm not sure.

Your screen shots appear 403: forbidden to me.

I know it's not going to look pretty. It's just I find that nvidia handles it better.

It almost seems like a subjective thing. I like the clearer (sharper) text.

Almost appears the nvidia pics are using AA. The text is blurry on the nvidia pic, which is typical with this on.

for gaming I prefer the blurred look. I know sc it a uber old game but I still play it a lot. what pisses me off is that I sold my 295 and spent all this money on a 5870. I wish I would have kept my nvidia card. If I can't fix it I'm going to unload this card I just hope I don't lose too much money.

That's not grainy, that looks like proper scaling. Try edge detect super sampling AA at 16x for the jaggies.

for gaming I prefer the blurred look. I know sc it a uber old game but I still play it a lot. what pisses me off is that I sold my 295 and spent all this money on a 5870. I wish I would have kept my nvidia card. If I can't fix it I'm going to unload this card I just hope I don't lose too much money.

You are the kind of person that really needs beta access to starcraft 2, 1998 man, for GODS sakes, it is time to move on. We'll help you.

Interesting. But if you bought a 5870 to play Starcraft then I would like to smack you.

Interesting. But if you bought a 5870 to play Starcraft then I would like to smack you.

I didn't buy it just to play starcraft, I bought it for eyefinity. I love starcraft and because of that the card is on craigslist. I tried all different setting for AA etc, but those options are all for 3d acceleration.

I know it's not going to look pretty. It's just I find that nvidia handles it better.

wait.. how does the nvidia one look better? the nvidia one looks like a blurred out mess compared to what it looks like on ATI.. i think some one needs to get some new glasses or get their eyes checked..

I tried that stuff once. I tried to grow a moustache a few years back and it started to grow in multicolored. So I tried Just for men and it didn't last very long which makes me think that I could have just used liquid shoe polish and done just as well. :D

lol at least you can dye it.. i cant.. the part that makes my beard look gray really isnt gray its just hair with no pigment which means i cant dye it.. :p

if you dont smack him first im definitely smacking him for bitching about buying a card that makes a game from 1998 look like shit.. the game looked like shit from the beginning.. its not going to change anything..

Because nVidia has... 4 different scaling options in their NCP.

I still don't like the strange interface of ATi's CCC, but it's better then it used to be (IMO).

Seriously? You're going to offload a superior card because of a 12 year old game? I'll trade you my old ass STB128 for that 5870. It plays SC pretty nicely! Hell, I'll throw in a full system circa 1998 for it. :p

Seriously? You're going to offload a superior card because of a 12 year old game? I'll trade you my old ass STB128 for that 5870. It plays SC pretty nicely! Hell, I'll throw in a full system circa 1998 for it. :p

I am just trying to figure out if there is something I am missing like a setting to make it look like that.I've gone from a 295 to a 5870 there is not much of a performance boost. It's not like I am going from a really old card to this card.

Last edited:
As others have said, the nvidia images are being smoothed whereas the ATI ones are not.

It's actually supposed to look like what you get out of your ATI card.

Not trying to nit-pick. But it IS an older game being scaled to a 30" screen. I would play around with the scaling settings and pick which one looks best to you. In the long run, it doesn't look that bad, and you're going to have superior performance on modern games. I mean, you did spend almost $500 on that card, it would be a shame to lose money trying to sell it second hand.

Just my $0.02

Not trying to nit-pick. But it IS an older game being scaled to a 30" screen. I would play around with the scaling settings and pick which one looks best to you. In the long run, it doesn't look that bad, and you're going to have superior performance on modern games. I mean, you did spend almost $500 on that card, it would be a shame to lose money trying to sell it second hand.

Just my $0.02

I just feel a little bit pissed. I know it's time to move on.

I didn't buy it just to play starcraft, I bought it for eyefinity. I love starcraft and because of that the card is on craigslist. I tried all different setting for AA etc, but those options are all for 3d acceleration.

Clever troll.

I am just trying to figure out if there is something I am missing like a setting to make it look like that.I've gone from a 295 to a 5870 there is not much of a performance boost. It's not like I am going from a really old card to this card.

not much of a performance boost? really?

are you just looking at the fps number?

if you really play some hardware demanding game, the smoothness on 5870 is way better than GTX 295..
and yes I did upgrade from GTX 295 to 5870, then 5970..

also, I have no idea what you trying to say on the top, but what I am seeing is ATI looks way better than nVidia's blurry picture that you can hardly tell if there is a block on the building..
and nVidia's texture is always more blurry than ATI, and a bit more grayish...
its been like that for ages....

btw, you run SC on Win 7? because somehow the color is all mess up and I can't play in Win 7 .....

You have to view it from his point of view.

Previously, his nVidia card (inside the NCP) scaled the 640x480 (iirc - it's been a while) image to a massive screen, and removed the blocks by basically blending the colors in.

It looks smooth. (I like it better, too - though not on the text).

The ATi card doesn't do that (or he doesn't know where the options for it are - neither do I, atm), and it just looks blocky.

BUT...

the talk about how this was not the reason he bought the card, and how he had a GTX295....

then it does seem like a wierd story.

I played sc on my laptop, with a 12.1" screen, and an Intel GMA 950. Works perfectly fine.

You don't buy a GTX295 or a HD5870 for SLI, Eyefinity, or whatever, and then sell it based soley on a 12year old game.

ATI looks better. Your Nvidia screenshot looks like it was grabbed from Starcraft 64!

starcraft-64-screenshot-006.png

Enjoy your blurry graphics.

ATI looks better. Your Nvidia screenshot looks like it was grabbed from Starcraft 64!

Enjoy your blurry graphics.

It's not a screen shot I took it with my camera.

All I am after is a solution if one exist, I don't care if the general consensusis is that ati looks better or nvidia looks better. I am just asking if that option exists nothing more. My disappoint is my opinion and I'm not asking you to share it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back