StarCraft Remaster Announced, Includes 4K Support and Matchmaking

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
We all knew that Blizzard was working on a remaster of their classic sci-fi RTS, but I didn’t expect that they were going to go all out. The latest version of StarCraft will not only support widescreen 4K UHD but feature updated audio, cloud saves, new mission interludes, and advanced matchmaking as well. Brood War is even being updated to version 1.18, squashing some 15-year-old bugs.

Blizzard Entertainment today announced an HD version of the classic RTS StarCraft. Called StarCraft: Remastered, the game includes all the content from the base game and the Brood War expansion. The graphics have been boosted to "4K ultra high definition," while the audio is upgraded as well. Additionally, new features such as matchmaking have been introduced. StarCraft: Remastered is in the works for Windows PC and Mac and is slated to come out this summer. Pricing will be announced later.

They are literally crowding the streets in So Korea to celebrate this right now
393c2b687ca408fb2d9e596c7d705fd4.gif

Well it's about damn time. Trying to get StarCraft to work on newer operating systems is a PITA.

This is awesome. I never got into StarCraft back in the day. My friends and I where playing Command & Conquer, Diablo, Quake, Unreal, etc. Not sure why we didn't play much of this game.
Sadly, my friends and I became adults and no longer play games together. I'll try to get my kids playing this - all the play is Roblox.

I wonder if you have to buy the remastered version or if you already have the game will it automatically upgrade it to the remastered version?

Am I the only one who has a hard time spotting the improvement when they were showing their upgrades?

Edit: I watched it in HD, I can see the upgrade.

I'd still have a hard time buying a game I've played for this shit.

Does this mean that Starcraft 2 will also get the much needed optimizations that it needs to be able to run on more than just one damn CPU core?

Thank god! I got nervous when Blizzard came out with Overwatch. I thought "This is not the Blizzard I know, new ideas is uncharted territory". I am glad to see they got back to doing what they do best and recycle old IP.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Add Diablo 1 and 2, plus get EA to remaster the C&C games and I will be perfectly happy for next 5 years.

Tibirian sun and red alert2 already have high res support. they had it since birth it was a true joy sitting on 1600x1200 when evryone else was just able to see 1024x768. so more more overwiev
not sure about Tiberian dawn and red alrt 1

Does this mean that Starcraft 2 will also get the much needed optimizations that it needs to be able to run on more than just one damn CPU core?

Hopefully. They dropped Vista support not long ago, they must have something in mind. I am eager to get back to Brood War, though. It's been more than a decade.

This is really cool , i half expected them to use to use the SC2 engine , i just hope they remasted the cutscenes , i used to watch them repeatedly back in the day... the sacrifice of Tassadar ... i`d buy that to see it in 4k

Still have my StarCraft 1.0 CD for Windows 95.

Maybe I will play this again. Go Protoss!!!

At first I couldn't really tell the difference. Then I looked at the video settings and it was set to 720p. :facepalm: Set to 1080p and yeah, I can definitely tell the difference.

All criticism aside, as an avid StarCraft lover, I'm getting this when it comes out. I really hope they included the add-ons with the original. As others have mentioned, remaster Diablo 1 and 2 and I will be a happy Goober.

Edit: Here is a video showing a interview with Pete Stilwell.

Recycle, ReUse, Reduce, Remaster

We have entered the golden age of PC gaming.... remastered!

I want the entire Xwing/Tie fighter series remastered please. And Wing Commander 1-4. I would pay real money for those.

I read somewhere else that Full Throttle is getting a remaster as well. Let me think, what else from the 90's needs to be redone... Mechwarrior 2? I think that cd is still on my shelf (kinda - it's Mercenaries)

Recycle, ReUse, Reduce, Remaster

We have entered the golden age of PC gaming.... remastered!

I want the entire Xwing/Tie fighter series remastered please. And Wing Commander 1-4. I would pay real money for those.

I read somewhere else that Full Throttle is getting a remaster as well. Let me think, what else from the 90's needs to be redone... Mechwarrior 2? I think that cd is still on my shelf (kinda - it's Mercenaries)

If that is the case, I could drop windows 98 and XP....really annoying problems!

Why aren't you happy now?

Because C&C 1 and Red Alert 1 simply don't work with Win10. I've got the First Decade and the individual games on Origin and also DVD. I've patched with everything...it's prob just me but a full remaster would be great.

I would almost say warcraft and D1 before D2, you can get D2 and War3 on the store, its stupid that you have to go through the store but I would love to rerun D1 and Warcraft 2 but you can't get those normally, I have to load mine through a 32 bit VM

Maybe someday they can just give Warcraft 3 widescreen support. Don't need a fancy remake, just 2 lines of code for friggin widescreen.

Blizzard made a ton of cash reboxing warcraft2. No remaster but they did get a movie. I thought it was good enough. You can still play at blizzard but it is a ghost server. Regs still play at war2combat. They are so stuck in the 90's. Or you can load a DOSbox on win10 to play the oldies.

So if you own the original it's not free? Or is it?
If not, who is going to buy this outside of Korea?

A LOT of people who like StarCraft, myself included. The old gameplay has a lot of charm and history, I really liked BW and am ecstatic that I can play it in a more modern build.
And it will not be free, you will have to pay for this. At the same time, Blizz is making the original games free.

Those are all very excellent moves. StarCraft could enjoy a renaissance in PC bangs in South Korea and fans around the world will lop this up without much questioning. I can't wait.

If the price is reasonable I will buy it for sure. I'm guessing its going to be 19-29.99

I would have much preferred if they were using SC2 engine to run SC1 rather than just being high res/16:9 mod.

There were a few things I really didn't like about SC1, first for being able to select only 12 units at a time, and this doesn't seem to change that.

If this was D1 remaster, sure, I can settle with just a facelift (too much changed between D1 and D2 anyway, porting D1 to a newer engine would have just ruined a lot of its basic mechanics), but D2 I am *hoping* for a port over to D3 engine with all major features intact (inventory tetris, skill/stat point allocation, etc).

I would have much preferred if they were using SC2 engine to run SC1 rather than just being high res/16:9 mod.

Really? I always thought the old sprite based models looked more detailed than the 3D ones now days. It always bugged me when new RTS games came out that used 3D models. They always seemed too big to me.
I just hope the FOV hasn't changed, IMO it was too close in SC2.

I wish they would have just given us the same game with modern graphics. Sorry, but color me not impressed.

Looking forward to replaying the full campaign again. SC2 didn't quite do it for me.

Thank god! I got nervous when Blizzard came out with Overwatch. I thought "This is not the Blizzard I know, new ideas is uncharted territory". I am glad to see they got back to doing what they do best and recycle old IP.

Thinly veiled insult?

Back