StarCraft II Budget Exceeds $100m

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
Blizzard has reportedly spent over [strike=1]nine thousand[/s] $100 million along the course of StarCraft II’s production. A significant amount of that is likely to be the creation of the new Battle.net.
"There is no shortage of consumers for StarCraft," Kotick said. "For a game that is more than ten years old, there's millions of people still playing it." StarCraftlaunched in 1998, and along with its Brood Warexpansion has sold more than 11 million units worldwide on PC.

Anyone want to bet a lot of those sales were in Asia, I'm still waiting on Diablo 3. The hecketh with Starcraft.

Evil:
Uh... the original SC is one of the best selling PC games of all time with many of those sales being in North America.

SC2 is amazing. I've been in the beta for several months and it is a great experience.

That's great for you, WCMaxi, at least someone in the U.S. is looking forward to this game, sorry, I'm half-korean and I can give a flip about SC II, it won't matter soon, 2012 is only 2 years away :p

Star craft 2 will probably break even on launch day (from every country) :p. Just a couple of years ago the first star craft actualy hit the number one in sales, probably only pc, but still, thats amazing for a game thats over 10 years old.

Star craft 2 will probably break even on launch day (from every country) :p. Just a couple of years ago the first star craft actualy hit the number one in sales, probably only pc, but still, thats amazing for a game thats over 10 years old.

Yeah both Starcraft and Diablo II battlechests have been in the top 10-15 pretty much every year. Impressive.

Previous National Team player in starcraft.
1st Division clan league in europe(and standings in skill in SC1 / SC2 = Asia->Europe->Usa->Oceania.

Don't think ever starcraft had that insane appeal to us as it did in europe.

Change that guys, I get tired of all the non players online when its night!, its like 4-5 hours with no players almost, and then the korean madness starts! :D

Games go like this(chatlog)
p1:Hi.
P2: Hi.
P1: gg
P2: gl hf
P1: ggyo ^^
looser: GG.
End of games, thats the most social you will get with those guys!
In the beta i didnt get any option to select server, got into pro league by basicly doing nothing... I never thought i'd miss having koreans around....

1st Division clan league in europe(and standings in skill in SC1 / SC2 = Asia->Europe->Usa->Oceania.

Change that guys, I get tired of all the non players online when its night!, its like 4-5 hours with no players almost, and then the korean madness starts! :D

In the beta i didnt get any option to select server, got into pro league by basicly doing nothing... I never thought i'd miss having koreans around....

Yeah, people don't like to talk in sc2. I'll start a small conv sometimes in the beginning when you can macro and talk without a problem. Generally people are either; scared to talk, or dicks.

Anyone want to bet a lot of those sales were in Asia, I'm still waiting on Diablo 3. The hecketh with Starcraft.

Huh? Sales in Asia? Whatchewtalkin' 'bout?

I thought the article was about the money spent in the development of SC2. Evidently, a large portion of those monies were spent on Battle.net.

...but while were on the subject...to heck with the multiplayer aspect of SC2. I'm only interested in the single player campaigns and the enthralling story lines.

I'm tempted not to buy a copy just to spite Kotick. That asshole deserves none of my money and it sickens me that to support blizzard i must line his pockets.

Yeah, people don't like to talk in sc2. I'll start a small conv sometimes in the beginning when you can macro and talk without a problem. Generally people are either; scared to talk, or dicks.
Uh... just friend people and chat that way... they even have voice chat. Have you actually played the beta?

That's great for you, WCMaxi, at least someone in the U.S. is looking forward to this game, sorry, I'm half-korean and I can give a flip about SC II, it won't matter soon, 2012 is only 2 years away :p

Most people don't give a flip about your opinions either. A lot of people in the US are looking forward to SC2's great RTS gameplay. Many RTS players enjoy the intellectual stimulation of RTS rather than the grinding type RPG.

It's wonderful that you like Diablo. You should go post your praise in a Diablo 3 thread rather than spending time here basically saying, "I don't care about the topic of this thread."

Huh? Sales in Asia? Whatchewtalkin' 'bout?

I thought the article was about the money spent in the development of SC2. Evidently, a large portion of those monies were spent on Battle.net.

...but while were on the subject...to heck with the multiplayer aspect of SC2. I'm only interested in the single player campaigns and the enthralling story lines.

I should have read the article before posting my first post. I just never cared for Starcraft and posted before I read it. Yeah I see now it was about how much it cost to make the game.

I

Most people don't give a flip about your opinions either. A lot of people in the US are looking forward to SC2's great RTS gameplay. Many RTS players enjoy the intellectual stimulation of RTS rather than the grinding type RPG.

It's wonderful that you like Diablo. You should go post your praise in a Diablo 3 thread rather than spending time here basically saying, "I don't care about the topic of this thread."

At this time Diablo 3 is pretty much the Duke Nukem Forever game from Blizzard, I would but it doesn't exist right now. But yeah, I shouldn't have posted my opinion about Starcraft in this thread about how much it cost to make Starcraft.

That was never the case for SC. Asia may have had the top players but Europe and the US were even. For SC2, there is no top region since the beta showed nothing and the game hasnt even come out yet.

That's a lot of money for a graphically updated Starcraft and a downgraded Battle.net

most of my playtime in SC2 will be from custom maps. i'm terrible at starcraft in general, but the custom maps ate hours of my time and i loved it.

dont get me wrong here, i preorded the game a while back and cant wait to try it but some of the issues that people are having with bnet 2 are rather silly on blizzard's part.

yes, blgdinger it will NOT work on a lan...

chat in the new bnet is pretty much non existent.

my problem is why the hell wouldn't you put this in? hardly changes your budget or anything else!

dont get me wrong here, i preorded the game a while back and cant wait to try it but some of the issues that people are having with bnet 2 are rather silly on blizzard's part.

yes, blgdinger it will NOT work on a lan...

chat in the new bnet is pretty much non existent.

my problem is why the hell wouldn't you put this in? hardly changes your budget or anything else!

They have made a couple major slip-ups lately. Most recent being the Real-ID fiasco with the forums. Maybe they thought it wouldn't have been as big of a deal as it turned out.

Let me guess...
5 Million was actually spent on the game and 95 Million how to market and rip people off.

I'm in the beta as well and I've REALLY enjoyed it, though I still think Protoss is OP. But I guess that's another matter.

$100m? Big deal. That's less than 1 month's income from WoW alone (more than 12m subscribers at ~$10 per month each). When a company is making that much a month, I do wonder why more people don't complain about having to pay for expansions, and why do people put up with server queues? With that income why would there ever.. EVER be a queue? Also, why is SC2 going to cost $60 now? What happened to the semi-traditional $50 price point?

I cannto wait for it to come out on July 27th/ I think they screwed over South Korean gamers by not having LAN support. Maybe they will get a special edition. As for the rest of us I am looking forward to the single player campaign and not too much getting rushed by the zerg and gettign wiped out int he first 10 seconds of the game. :D

probably more of a business decision than a developer decision.

What about the lan competitions? Starcraft is still being played but they're usually over lan in gaming cafe's. If the internet is down or slow, or even if a lot of people are using video chat or watching youtube, that means no more multiplayer!

$100m? Big deal. That's less than 1 month's income from WoW alone (more than 12m subscribers at ~$10 per month each). When a company is making that much a month, I do wonder why more people don't complain about having to pay for expansions, and why do people put up with server queues? With that income why would there ever.. EVER be a queue? Also, why is SC2 going to cost $60 now? What happened to the semi-traditional $50 price point?
What? 59.99 has been the standard price point for like 10 years...

$100m? Big deal. That's less than 1 month's income from WoW alone (more than 12m subscribers at ~$10 per month each). When a company is making that much a month, I do wonder why more people don't complain about having to pay for expansions, and why do people put up with server queues? With that income why would there ever.. EVER be a queue?

I would actually LOVE to see some of Blizzards operating numbers. WoW has more "full" servers that most other MMO's have total servers. WoW has to have 100 servers by now..... and thats just North American, I have no idea how many are on the EU side.

But they are pretty hush hush about it as can be expected. However WoW does have a visible bandwidth footprint when looking at the Internet as a whole.

And ya Blizzard has only put out a handfull of games in the last 15 years....but I have never been disapointed by any of their games. I respect them, as I'm sure many many others do.

Back