Starcraft 2 - no LAN, no consoles

Maybe in Korea, but professional Starcraft isn't that big of a deal here in the U.S. And I hope it stays that way. When people start taking a video game too seriously, the fun of it starts to go down the toilet.

if you want to play a sport, go play one. a real one.

We don't need to get into a whole debate here, but people who obsess over grown men throwing or kicking balls around are more laughable to me than just about anything. Your logic is entirely inconsistent anyway....pro sports hasn't destroyed softball for fun leagues, beer league bowling, casual sports, youth sports, or anything else. Bias against something that's just not entrenched by a few decades of tradition is pretty dumb and short sighted.

sounds to me like you're just a nerd, and you suck at real life activities so you're hoping one day you can go pro at Starcraft and finally have a chance at scoring a woman.

great coherent comeback, i'm sure my wife and kids will be horrified that i'm playing video games to attract chicks....

I'm looking forward to this game. I only hopped on the SC bandwagon a year ago, but it's great.

If there is no LAN, I will not be buying this. :/

Prepare to not buy it then. Definitely confirmed they will not be supporting LAN.

And the petitions begin

http://kotaku.com/5304995/and-the-starcraft-ii-lan-petitioning-commences

Angered by news that Blizzard has decided to leave LAN multiplayer out of StarCraft II, fans are doing what fans have done in such situations since the dawn of time - signing a letter.

The "LAN in StarCraft 2 Please" petition isn't really all that much of a petition when you get right now to it. It's more of an attempt to reason with Blizzard, with a little bit of unabashed ass-kissery thrown in for good measure.

The new Battle.net sounds absolutely awesome from the sneak peeks you have given us, and people will most likely be using it exclusively, even if they only play single player. However, there is no harm in allowing LAN play as well, and it does bring further depth and life to what will probably become the top RTS of the next decade.

What kind of petition says "Please"? The kind that gets 5, 861 signees as of this writing. Nearly six thousand people, all politely demanding requesting that LAN be put back into the game, if that's okay with everyone involved. I guess it says something about the StarCraft fan base. Where Diablo fans were ready to set themselves on fire over a brighter color palette, StarCraft strategically weave their arguments together with shameless praise and respect, perhaps trying to sneak their way behind enemy lines to cut off their supplies or something. There has to be some sort of strategy involved here...I'm just not seeing it.

This is bad news. I have a friend who never buys ANY PC games (doesn't pirate them, just never really plays them) and he was planning on buying all three games as soon as they came out. He's stuck on satellite internet that reverts to less-than-56k speeds when he exceeds his bandwidth limit, which usually happens, because his sister is always playing WoW. We have our LANs at his house or at another friend's house who is stuck on dial up because they live out in the country. There is no way in hell we can share 56k for 5 computers to play Starcraft II. They just lost about 5 for-sure sales of all the games.

You know this is just ridiculous. Why take out a perfectly good aspect of a game that many people use and blame it on piracy. Piracy is going to happen regardless, there is nothing that game companies can do about it other than soften the blow, all the while alienating there fans. Come to terms with it and face the facts piracy is here to stay. The best thing that can happen is to give the fans what they want and make the best game possible. The fans will in tern give you the money that you so rightly deserve.

You know this is just ridiculous. Why take out a perfectly good aspect of a game that many people use and blame it on piracy. Piracy is going to happen regardless, there is nothing that game companies can do about it other than soften the blow, all the while alienating there fans. Come to terms with it and face the facts piracy is here to stay. The best thing that can happen is to give the fans what they want and make the best game possible. The fans will in tern give you the money that you so rightly deserve.

this!

and I suspect many major game studios (ex. Blizzard) these days must assume they are owed money regardless of quality of product; that they are entitled to it because of the past. I say BS, they are not any great friend or family member, I hold no alligence to past accomplishments since I am the paying customer here. I only care about what they (game devs) do for me in the present. If you wants sales then make a great game and you will get enough sales, stop playing piracy on your deficancies I say.

honestly i have real trouble believing most of the people saying this has lost the sale for them will actually not buy the game. even if you're a huge lan enthusiast, you still play the game 99% of the time on bnet. you're going to throw away the sequel to a game that you apparently loved for that one percent?

moral stands ... <eyes rolling>

honestly i have real trouble believing most of the people saying this has lost the sale for them will actually not buy the game. even if you're a huge lan enthusiast, you still play the game 99% of the time on bnet. you're going to throw away the sequel to a game that you apparently loved for that one percent?

moral stands ... <eyes rolling>

I'm glad you know what I do better than I do, although it is a little creepy.

It seems hard to believe that there would be a significant Hamanchi multilayer community. There'll be people who pirate it for the SP, but I would think any person who wanted to seriously play online would pay the fifty buck for the battle.net account. I'm not really sure what piracy this would even prevent.

I'm glad you know what I do better than I do, although it is a little creepy.

I'll let you know what you want for breakfast in a few hours.

seriously though, I find it hard to believe ... obviously some people will fail to buy it. i'd of course question whether they are taking a moral stand on an issue a bit too far. 11 years after the first super successful amazing game that you loved all these years...and one ancillary option will keep you from buying the game? i'll be interested to see how much peoples willpower holds out, and how much of this is just posturing on internet forums.

Last edited:
I'll let you know what you want for breakfast in a few hours.

seriously though, I find it hard to believe ... obviously some people will fail to buy it. i'd of course question whether they are taking a moral stand on an issue a bit too far. 11 years after the first super successful amazing game that you loved all these years...and one ancillary option will keep you from buying the game? i'll be interested to see how much peoples willpower holds out, and how much of this is just posturing on internet forums.

People like to be over-the-top on the internet. As for me, I never used the LAN function so this is all a non-issue for me. BNET is where the rest of the world will be, and that's how its always been.

i'm baffled by this decision. I lan all the time with my wife. why increase lag and use unneeded internet bandwidth if i can play it all locally? i mean it's not the end of the world, but it's inconvenient.

Oh wow, I guess those of us who game over in Iraq/Afghanistan are screwed then. It's only like 0.001 Percent of the sales but still :(

Include a wireless keyboard and mouse licensed by MS for an extra 35 bucks and release it on the 360, or something. The original and the expansion are my favorite games of all time, it's a shame I probably won't be playing 2, since I have no desire to build a gaming rig for 2 games(SC2 and Diablo 3).

No lan doesn't affect me. I still plan on buying this.

However clearly there are a lot of people who wanted LAN play. I would expect an announcment with more information from Blizzard in the next few days, they have to be aware that the community is not taking this news well.

I think the real mistake is not that Blizzard took out LAN, but that they didn't just explain what they plan on doing instead.

Really a non issue for me...LAN play would be nice but its not the end of the world to not have it. I used it maybe 3-5 times total in 11 years, personally.

There were far more occasions where 4 players would be going out over bnet on the same internet connection to 2 other friends on bnet and a few strangers or something...we never had any problems in the slightest...short of someone raging and turning off a friends computer who was in the same room for spite hahaha.

I also spent the first 5 years of SC playing on 56k and had no issues. In fact, I could argue it was easier in a way because I didn't have to bother forwarding any ports =P

Regardless, I dont care what they do...itd be great to see an authorize and use LAN feature or something, but I don't care too much either. I do see why some people are upset though. meh...

No lan doesn't affect me. I still plan on buying this.

However clearly there are a lot of people who wanted LAN play. I would expect an announcment with more information from Blizzard in the next few days, they have to be aware that the community is not taking this news well.

I think the real mistake is not that Blizzard took out LAN, but that they didn't just explain what they plan on doing instead.
yet

Well yeah thats my point. So hopefully in a few days they will realize that they have caused a panic in the gamer community and they'll post some more detailed plans regarding the network gaming models they will support.

All I care about is the Single Player, never go online with RTS's anyway.

At the University I work at there is an RTS and a LAN club, the school provides space a few times a month for them to have nice sized LAN parties, however I believe they have these LAN parties without Internet access like many other people still do... I guess Blizzard doesn't think people still do this?

Not having lan made this a no buy for me. The only time I play and really enjoy RTS is with a bunch of friends in the same or nearby rooms. Without that I don't even care if the game comes out.

Single Player is fine, but you HAVE to go online with Starcraft 2 for the use map settings stuff.

With how good battle.net was/is, I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of it. I have 5 computers on my network and it would be all the same to just have them all connect via internet.

Also, their attitude towards their customers and potential customers is pretty deplorable. Emphasis his:

Karune@Blizzard said:
As mentioned by Rob Pardo in interviews, piracy is a serious problem and often times tie in closely with LAN. At the end of the day, we want the best for the community and fans that support our games, and having chunk of the community pirate the game actually hurts the community.

1) Pirated servers splinter the community instead of consolidating all players who love to play the game. Battle.net will bring players together in skirmishes, ladder play, custom games, and allow everyone the opportunity to share a common experience.

2) More people on Battle.net means more even more resources devoted to evolving this online platform to cater to further community building and new ways to enjoy the game online. World of Warcraft is a great example of a game that has evolved beyond anyone's imagination since their Day 1 and will continue to do so to better the player experience for as long as players support the title. The original StarCraft is an even better example of how 11 years later, players still love and play this title, and we will continue to support and evolve it with patches.

We would not take out LAN if we did not feel we could offer players something better.

If I were to buy StarCraft II or any other title, I know the money I spent would be going to supporting that title. Personally, I would be upset that others were freeloading while others are legitimately supporting a title that has great potential and goals of making this title have 'long legs.'

If you like a song a lot, buy it, and that artist will only come out with more awesome songs for you. If you like a game, buy it, and we will promise to constantly work to make the player experience better at every corner we can.

Support the causes you believe in (This is applicable to all things, not just gaming).
Don't be a leech to society, innovation, and further awesome creations.

Assuming he isn't publicly canned for being a total dickhead, or at the least for being an idiot and further agitating already annoyed customers...WTF? You can stick your "awesome creations" where the sun doesn't shine for all I care if you're going to be like that.

Is there any further question of how they think of all players?

We don't need to get into a whole debate here, but people who obsess over grown men throwing or kicking balls around are more laughable to me than just about anything.

Its a guy thing. You wouldn't understand.

If you like a game, buy it, and we will promise to constantly work to make the player experience better at every corner we can.
you mean: "as long as we decide what a better experience is" = battle.net and nothing else

Also, their attitude towards their customers and potential customers is pretty deplorable. Emphasis his:

Assuming he isn't publicly canned for being a total dickhead, or at the least for being an idiot and further agitating already annoyed customers...WTF? You can stick your "awesome creations" where the sun doesn't shine for all I care if you're going to be like that.

Is there any further question of how they think of all players?

and how do you know that what he said isn't true, that they won't be offering something better? you don't, you're just assuming. I think of all the companies out there, blizzard has earned a bit of the benefit of the doubt when it comes to community support. EA would be on starcraft 15 by now with 15 dollar 2 month sims style expansions and pay to play on bnet.

How about wait and see what their alternative to lan is before going the whole "the world is collapsing" route?

and how do you know that what he said isn't true, that they won't be offering something better? you don't, you're just assuming.

Okay, cool. Explain to me what you think is better for LAN gaming than a bloody LAN connection.

Then read the rest of his post and tell me where he gets off talking about and to people he hopes will give his company money like that. Every company I've ever worked for would fire someone on the spot for a lot less if they talked to customers that way.

I'll give you a few hints since I've worked with a number of people in and around the gaming industry and have picked up a few things from them. Call this a "how to read" guide for Starcraft II and particularly Karune's post.

(1) This whole thing is an ill-conceived DRM move.
(2) They're setting up for post-sale monetization through advertising, other gaming products, and transmedia products. That's your "something better."
(3) They think your place in the universe is to give them as much money as possible as often as possible, and have no respect for you whatsoever.

This is a money grab, plain and simple. But they're doing it at the expense of the game's functionality, and they're making no attempt to hide their contempt for their players.

and how do you know that what he said isn't true, that they won't be offering something better? you don't, you're just assuming. I think of all the companies out there, blizzard has earned a bit of the benefit of the doubt when it comes to community support. EA would be on starcraft 15 by now with 15 dollar 2 month sims style expansions and pay to play on bnet.

How about wait and see what their alternative to lan is before going the whole "the world is collapsing" route?

Hey you leave the Sims out of this... each expansion is great because they are easy gifts to buy for my girlfriend and it keeps her off my back for a week so I can play the games I want to play and not feel bad for not including her :D

Okay, cool. Explain to me what you think is better for LAN gaming than a bloody LAN connection.

Then read the rest of his post and tell me where he gets off talking about and to people he hopes will give his company money like that. Every company I've ever worked for would fire someone on the spot for a lot less if they talked to customers that way.

I'll give you a few hints since I've worked with a number of people in and around the gaming industry and have picked up a few things from them. Call this a "how to read" guide for Starcraft II and particularly Karune's post.

(1) This whole thing is an ill-conceived DRM move.
(2) They're setting up for post-sale monetization through advertising, other gaming products, and transmedia products. That's your "something better."
(3) They think your place in the universe is to give them as much money as possible as often as possible, and have no respect for you whatsoever.

This is a money grab, plain and simple. But they're doing it at the expense of the game's functionality, and they're making no attempt to hide their contempt for their players.

The fact that you think that person needs to be fired should just show you that you've moved into the territory of hysterical anger. You come with this presumption that the world has now ended, so further conversation on this topic with you would likely be unhelpful. Enjoy not playing the game over nonsensical minutia.

Hey you leave the Sims out of this... each expansion is great because they are easy gifts to buy for my girlfriend and it keeps her off my back for a week so I can play the games I want to play and not feel bad for not including her :D

I know this well...I owe plenty of marital bliss to her playing the sims in the other room :D

my bad :D

Back