Starcraft 2 - no LAN, no consoles

Unless they revoke this or add in Lan play via some other way I really hope a hacker/coder/whatever creates a way to do it. After Lich King this is certainly one of their most bone headed moves, even Diablo 3's kiddy look isn't as much of an epic failure as this.

Who cares about not having console support? Do people honestly wanna play an RTS on a console? I can understand the bitching about lack of lan support; that's just plain dumb.

Lol, a $59.99 PC game with no LAN. No way I'm going to buy it until the SCII battle chest comes out.

I'll be playing SupComII instead.

I don't believe some of you understand the importance of LAN. Some of us go to major lan parties that don't have internet connections. We compete in tourney's at this location against other peeps there etc.

If they want to go this route fine. We'll just have to find a hack around it but still. Some of us want to play, with ease preferably, at major lan events where everyone getting on the web isn't feasible or existent.

Thanks,
Dill

You know what's funny? Up until now, SC2 was a first-day purchase for me, no questions asked. That's rare these days as I barely game anymore aside from a few older titles. But with this news, I will most certainly be "trying" a copy before I make a purchasing decision. Sad really... I still have my original SC CD and key from 10 years ago, and I've been looking forward to SC2 for ages, but now the one company that I might actually buy a game from is going to turn me into a pirate. Way to go Blizzard, way to go.

And for those who don't get it - not everyone likes having to deal with bnet. We don't have to explain ourselves to you.

This is really pissing me off. I used to be really excited about SC2, but after years of teasing me, years of WoW bullshit anal money raping , the merger with activison, and with the announcement of the trilogy concept, and now no lan... come on!

I feel like somehow, we're now all in the Bizzaro gaming world. Valve is pissing people off with L4D2, Blizzard drops LAN support from SCII, and EA's CEO says "Tell people to pirate our stuff lots, because we'll make more money if they do."

WTF?

Why would they be identical if you have to send the data to an outside server and back? LAN games have little lag...which is the entire point besides just setting a game up with your friends in the same room or building.

Because you can auth to an outside server and still initiate a LAN connection at the same time.

*sigh*

Honestly guys. This is the biggest upcoming e-sports title out there, and on top of that, they're actively designing this with players like David Kim. You're out of your mind if you think there won't be a way to play laglessly.

If any company deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one, it's Blizzard.

On top of that, they even say in the interview, that they're not including LAN play because of a "planned technology in B.net". That would suggest they have some sort of LAN play worked out through B.net.

Overreaction total guys.

I don't believe some of you understand the importance of LAN. Some of us go to major lan parties that don't have internet connections. We compete in tourney's at this location against other peeps there etc.

You know what's funny? Up until now, SC2 was a first-day purchase for me, no questions asked. That's rare these days as I barely game anymore aside from a few older titles. But with this news, I will most certainly be "trying" a copy before I make a purchasing decision. Sad really... I still have my original SC CD and key from 10 years ago, and I've been looking forward to SC2 for ages, but now the one company that I might actually buy a game from is going to turn me into a pirate. Way to go Blizzard, way to go.

And for those who don't get it - not everyone likes having to deal with bnet. We don't have to explain ourselves to you.

If they want to go this route fine. We'll just have to find a hack around it but still. Some of us want to play, with ease preferably, at major lan events where everyone getting on the web isn't feasible or existent.

Thanks,
Dill

Now that's an actual problem, but a very minor one. Most LAN events should not have a problem setting up an internet connection. Even then, for those that it is a problem, hopefully Starcraft 2 can incorporate something like Steam's "Offline" mode so that it can be played without a connection.

Bull shit. What will pirating give you? It's not going to change the LAN matter one bit. You're stealing it because you're a petty thief and don't want to pay for it, don't use excuses like this to make up for it. If you don't want to pay for it, then don't play it.

That's dumb. I always pay for my games, but if they want to buy two copies so I can do an occasional LAN party between the two computers in my room, that's just BS.

At first that's what we thought but now its not at all what Blizzard is saying in interviews - they are now saying there is no LAN support whatsoever.

http://www.joystiq.com/tag/starcraft-2
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/999/999171p1.html

Can't read em there since the sites are blocked at work. Care to post the quote?

If it's the interview I'm thinking of, I think the term "LAN play" is being used way too literally. It could simply mean that they're avoiding a simple "LAN" option in the game, but still allow to play through a local connection, assuming you're logged into B.net.

Like I've said before, this is a game crafted with e-sports in mind, and there's no way it's going to be lacking a local connection option. No way. It would destroy the e-sports community. It's very clear that Blizzard is collaberating closely with the e-sports community while making the game.

http://www.joystiq.com/tag/starcraft-2
joystiq said:
According to an IncGamers interview with members of the StarCraft II team, one of the major components of the original game won't be included in the sequel -- LAN play. "We don't have any plans to support LAN," VP of game design Rob Pardo told the site. Blizzard has reportedly confirmed to IGN that LAN support is indeed out the window. We're reaching out to Blizzard for comment as well, so don't throw out all your cables yet.

If this is true, Battle.net is the only multiplayer option in StarCraft II, and the era of the LAN party has officially ended -- we suppose you could still bring your computer over to someone else's house, but you no longer need to. More than that, we suspect that this will be just one of the things that thousands of daily StarCraft players are going to freak out about, because it's something in the new game that is the slightest bit different from the old game.

Well, it's definitely true. Blizzard has killed LAN support in the upcoming StarCraft II, and here's the official word from Bob Colayco at Blizzard PR:

"We don't currently plan to support LAN play with StarCraft II, as we are building Battle.net to be the ideal destination for multiplayer gaming with StarCraft II and future Blizzard Entertainment games. While this was a difficult decision for us, we felt that moving away from LAN play and directing players to our upgraded Battle.net service was the best option to ensure a quality multiplayer experience with StarCraft II and safeguard against piracy.

Several Battle.net features like advanced communication options, achievements, stat-tracking, and more, require players to be connected to the service, so we're encouraging everyone to use Battle.net as much as possible to get the most out of StarCraft II. We're looking forward to sharing more details about Battle.net and online functionality for StarCraft II in the near future."

So, let it hereby be noted that pirates killed the LAN parrrrrty.

and http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/999/999171p1.html

No LAN for StarCraft II
Blizzard's upcoming RTS focusing more on Battle.Net functionality.
by Jeff Haynes

US, June 29, 2009 - It appears that StarCraft II will be losing one of the franchise's most popular features. In an interview with IncGamers, Rob Pardo, VP of game design indicated that LAN would not be supported for the upcoming RTS sequel. "We will not support it," he said. Instead, the only multiplayer for the game will be found through Battle.Net, Blizzard's online service that is currently being redesigned. We contacted Blizzard for confirmation and were told that it's true that StarCraft II will not support or feature LAN play at all.

While this might surprise StarCraft fans, particularly those that go to LAN centers for the competition, it's not surprising given that many of the new elements for the game seem to be tied into Battle.Net's tracking mechanics. In many ways, Battle.Net is attempting to provide improved features for players and observers alike. For example, spectators will be able to track a myriad of stats for each player within a match, including their army and economic strength, as well as see a specific build order for every unit fielded within a battle. Other features, like the new replay functionality, seem poised to take advantage of Battle.Net's community functions to upload videos and screens to the service. We covered a number of the new Battle.Net features within our recent multiplayer preview, but that only serves to underscore the point that Mr. Pardo made: StarCraft II won't have LAN support. Word from South Korea regarding their response to the lack of LAN play has yet to come in.

Bull shit. What will pirating give you? It's not going to change the LAN matter one bit. You're stealing it because you're a petty thief and don't want to pay for it, don't use excuses like this to make up for it. If you don't want to pay for it, then don't play it.

OR you can't read. I said I was going to buy it no questions asked on the first day. Now I'm not unless I can confirm that there is some way to play it via LAN without phoning home to daddy Blizzard. The most likely way of confirming that will be via piracy. If there's no way to play via LAN with the pirated copy, I delete it and don't buy the game as my only interest is MP via LAN with friends. The SP campaign is not my primary interest, and I have ZERO interest in using battle net. Consider yourself educated.

Last edited:
they just keep fucking up, this game was gold now its just a pile of shit. they could just support authentication through battle.net and then allow a LAN game to be hosted locally and run after you are authed... but i doubt they are that fucking smart. Blizzard lan is what made sc1 so popular and you are ripping it out and blaming piracy wtf sounds like activision has its hand up blizzard's ass gg failures

You guys need to grow some balls. This game is going to be awesome and everyone here knows it.

People these days have much faster internet connections. Even on SC1 it is now pretty rare that I experience any lag caused by a player's connection.

Also latency is not a major factor with Starcraft. It does play a role -- however its not an FPS, it can handle higher latency much better than other platforms.

Also, who hosts LAN's without internet these days? You guys are pretending like having no LAN support is going to completely destroy the game....stop raging.

they just keep fucking up, this game was gold now its just a pile of shit. they could just support authentication through battle.net and then allow a LAN game to be hosted locally and run after you are authed... but i doubt they are that fucking smart. Blizzard lan is what made sc1 so popular and you are ripping it out and blaming piracy wtf sounds like activision has its hand up blizzard's ass gg failures

It seems like no one reads my posts.

This game is being developed FOR the e-sports community, and they're collaberating with some top players during development. This game will have a way to connect locally.

Internet : Serious Fucking Business.

LAN made Starcraft because the game was released 11 years ago and there were no other options back then. Hell, I remember playing Starcraft on dialup, no prob. In 2009 though, where the hell are you guys that you don’t have internet? Last time I recall not having a internet connection was when I was flying to London, so I guess if I want to play a multiplayer Starcraft match with my buddy while on an international airline flight I am kind of fucked. QQ.

Personally, I think you are all idiots and am glad none of you will be playing. I bet you are all retards that only want to play on BGH$$$$ maps then call 15 min no rush and d/c after your fleet of carriers / battlecrusiers gets raped.

This game is being developed FOR the e-sports community, and they're collaberating with some top players during development.
The korean pro gamers provide feedback to blizzard on GAMEPLAY aspects, NOT technical aspects.

This game will have a way to connect locally.
You got a link ? Cause blizz seems to be saying otherwise in interviews. Yes I know it sounds silly to be asking whether or not a high profile e-sports title like SC2 will have native LAN support, but then again if 3 months ago someone said Valve would re-package the L4D1 DLC and sell it as L4D2 for $50 bucks everyone would have laughed at that guy and said how silly he was being.

101998 said:
In 2009 though, where the hell are you guys that you don’t have internet?
It's not just about internet connections.

7 of your friends come over to play SC1, some good old 4v4 action. With LAN functionality, everyone has perfect latency, perfect pings, no lag, ability to do high APM micro and there is no dependency on any outside server, ISP, authentication server, or otherwise. You are totally independent, and in total control of your network - you don't need to rely on anyone or anything else.

Same scenario, except its now SC2 with no LAN functionality. Everyone has 100ms ping, you can't micro effectively due to the latency, the game auto-pauses now and then waiting for one player's packets, and you are dependent upon your ISP, authentication server, battlenet matchmaking server, and the 10-20 routers/servers/gateways between your house, your ISP's exchange and the Blizzard server. You are now dependent on many factors outside of your control - if any ONE of those things messes up the game is ruined.

Your PC is 5-20 feet away from your buddies pc - why the hell should you have to send your data packets 500 miles and back to blizzard's servers ? Ridiculous.

Finally you think an 8MB line (which is probably average broadband speed nowadays) can continuously transmit data up and down for 8 PCs, each with 200 units and say 200APM average, without the occasional slight hitch or latency bump ? Remember even though many people may have an ok pipe DOWN, most ISPs provide crappy lines UP.

Thanks,
Dill

Yeah man I totally agree. I went to a LAN party in Oklahoma City one time, there were about 20 of us and we rented out an vacant store in a mall to have our lan party. There was no internet. But we still had fun playing games over the LAN. Good times.

7 of your friends come over to play SC1, some good old 4v4 action. With LAN functionality, everyone has perfect latency, perfect pings, no lag, ability to do high APM micro and there is no dependency on any outside server, ISP, authentication server, or otherwise. You are totally independent, and in total control of your network - you don't need to rely on anyone or anything else.

Same scenario, except its now SC2 with no LAN functionality. Everyone has 100ms ping, you can't micro effectively due to the latency, the game auto-pauses now and then waiting for one player's packets, and you are dependent upon your ISP, authentication server, battlenet matchmaking server, and the 10-20 routers/servers/gateways between your house, your ISP's exchange and the Blizzard server. You are now dependent on many factors outside of your control - if any ONE of those things messes up the game is ruined.

Your PC is 5-20 feet away from your buddies pc - why the hell should you have to send your data packets 500 miles and back to blizzard's servers ? Ridiculous.

Finally you think an 8MB line (which is probably average broadband speed nowadays) can continuously transmit data up and down for 8 PCs, each with 200 units and say 200APM average, without the occasional slight hitch or latency bump ? Remember even though many people may have an ok pipe DOWN, most ISPs provide crappy lines UP.

Dude, you are playing a RTS not performing robotic brain surgery; 100ms ping isn’t shit. I used to own ranked matches on dial-up. Blaming lag for a loss is a sign of a shitty player. My previous comment stands, you not playing will only make everyone else’s experience better. Less QQ I have to deal with.

Dude, you are playing a RTS not performing robotic brain surgery; 100ms ping isn’t shit. I used to own ranked matches on dial-up. Blaming lag for a loss is a sign of a shitty player. My previous comment stands, you not playing will only make everyone else’s experience better. Less QQ I have to deal with.

Why do you think some of us don't want to be forced to use bnet dummy? We don't want to play with the likes of you either! ;)

Less QQ I have to deal with.
Way to go, ignore all the key points and sink to childish trolling and insults.

There's no excuse for removing features from the game, especially when it was a key feature of its predecessor and one of the vital components which propelled SC into the legendary game it is. Saying its to curb piracy is even worse, there is nothing that will prevent piracy of a high profile title - removing features only hurts the legit customers.

I had a small Starcraft LAN party where we all played over b.net together because not all of us where local. We didn't notice a difference at all...

Some people are taking this way to personal.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

This is pretty weak. I was really looking forward to playing the game at the small lanparties i host.

We don't have internet connections for these lan parties, so obviously this kind of rains on our parade.

Guess we will just keep playing starcraft 1. I'll skip picking up SC2 as the singleplayer never really interested me all that much. Too much mucking about with hero units.

Maybe someone will release a mod later that enables it, but who knows.

I had a small Starcraft LAN party where we all played over b.net together because not all of us where local. We didn't notice a difference at all...

Some people are taking this way to personal.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

lol yes because every single network in the world is exactly like yours, and the internet is totally consistent and reliable!

Because you can auth to an outside server and still initiate a LAN connection at the same time.

*sigh*

Honestly guys. This is the biggest upcoming e-sports title out there, and on top of that, they're actively designing this with players like David Kim. You're out of your mind if you think there won't be a way to play laglessly.

If any company deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one, it's Blizzard.

On top of that, they even say in the interview, that they're not including LAN play because of a "planned technology in B.net". That would suggest they have some sort of LAN play worked out through B.net.

Overreaction total guys.

Now that's an actual problem, but a very minor one. Most LAN events should not have a problem setting up an internet connection. Even then, for those that it is a problem, hopefully Starcraft 2 can incorporate something like Steam's "Offline" mode so that it can be played without a connection.

"Planned technology" or piracy?

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59340

:rolleyes: Guess it's everyone's excuse these days. Funny that it's coming from a company that makes 70% of it's profits on a subscription based game.

And btw, this is a LITTLE more than just authorizing to a server and back: "Several Battle.net features like advanced communication options, achievements, stat-tracking, and more, require players to be connected to the service, so we're encouraging everyone to use Battle.net as much as possible to get the most out of StarCraft II."

:rolleyes: Guess it's everyone's excuse these days. Funny that it's coming from a company that makes 70% of it's profits on a subscription based game.

And btw, this is a LITTLE more than just authorizing to a server and back: "Several Battle.net features like advanced communication options, achievements, stat-tracking, and more, require players to be connected to the service, so we're encouraging everyone to use Battle.net as much as possible to get the most out of StarCraft II."

But in no way are all of those things impossible if you connect locally to other players.

Battle.net information is sent to the B.net servers, and this is done at the end of the game. It's still plenty possible to keep the connection local if all players are on the network.

Just wait until the game is out, or Blizzard qualifies the statements further before making any judgements.

That's dumb. I always pay for my games, but if they want to buy two copies so I can do an occasional LAN party between the two computers in my room, that's just BS.

This is piracy and always has been. Expecting to be able to pay for one game and have it on 2 machines is merely justified piracy and probably the biggest reason blizzard is choosing to do what they are doing. I actually find it pretty ridiculous that your mad at a company for circumventing your thievery.

How long do you expect developers to cater to pirates? If its a peer 2 peer setup connecting to b.net means shit, if your on a lan you will get lan speeds with your friends. Its really the best way to combat piracy without ridiculous DRM schemes that just get broken anyway. This way similar to steam you authenticate on an external server then play your game (I know about steams offline mode but even that dont work if you never authenticate).

Its pretty funny the amount of nerdrage blizzard games generate. Even though they really have yet to release a bad game (Say what you want about WoW its success speaks for itself) people still act like they dont know what they are doing.

The no consoles thing is meh, didn't expect it and have no interest in playing any RTS on console ever.

The no-lan thing I find slightly baffling, it's definitely an odd move and right now I'm just hoping they mean that there is no lan in the traditional sense, but that they've come up with some new system that gives the same experience in a different way.

Taking into account that Blizzard, thanks to many years of running Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft and WoW, probably has more experience with networking games than anyone in the games industry, it's not inconceivable that they've devised something that will shut up the skeptical.

I find it hard to believe that they are going to have all the hundreds of players that turn up at those crazy korean giant starcraft events, or even regular gaming rooms, communicating exclusively by internet connections (while also supporting spectators, and maybe even voice).

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

This is piracy and always has been. Expecting to be able to pay for one game and have it on 2 machines is merely justified piracy and probably the biggest reason blizzard is choosing to do what they are doing. I actually find it pretty ridiculous that your mad at a company for circumventing your thievery.

That's funny, because it was actually a feature built right into the original StarCraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft
("StarCraft is also one of the few games that include a "spawn" installation, which allows for limited multiplayer. It must be installed from a disc, and requires a product key to work just as the full version does. However, one product key can support up to eight spawned installations with access to Battle.net. Limitations of a spawned installation include the inability to play single-player missions, create multiplayer games or use the campaign editor.")

Oops?

That's funny, because it was actually a feature built right into the original StarCraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft
("StarCraft is also one of the few games that include a "spawn" installation, which allows for limited multiplayer. It must be installed from a disc, and requires a product key to work just as the full version does. However, one product key can support up to eight spawned installations with access to Battle.net. Limitations of a spawned installation include the inability to play single-player missions, create multiplayer games or use the campaign editor.")

Oops?

Diablo had a similar thing. I did completely forget about that.

So 2 games from 10 years ago supported similar things. Its still pretty assinine to expect the same in this day and age either way.

Haha, E-sports.:rolleyes:

sigh, yea, I hope they don't take "E-sports" too far with SC2. "E-sports" is one of the things that crapped all over WoW's PvP. Games should be for enjoyment, let's not kid ourselves and call them a "sport".

and I don't see what the big deal about no LAN play is. Do you usually hold LAN parties out in the middle of the desert?

sigh, yea, I hope they don't take "E-sports" too far with SC2. "E-sports" is one of the things that crapped all over WoW's PvP. Games should be for enjoyment, let's not kid ourselves and call them a "sport".

Really? so the televised games watched by millions of people for hundreds of thousands of dollars in prizes doesn't qualify as an esport? are you unaware of the vast vast professional gaming aspect of the original starcraft?

Really? so the televised games watched by millions of people for hundreds of thousands of dollars in prizes doesn't qualify as an esport? are you unaware of the vast vast professional gaming aspect of the original starcraft?

I assume he was referring to the term "sport". That term is thrown around way too loosely these days. That and "Supermodel", no one is just a plain 'ol "model" anymore, they're all "Supermodels" - even though no one's ever heard of half of them. I know that had nothing to do with this thread, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Maybe in Korea, but professional Starcraft isn't that big of a deal here in the U.S. And I hope it stays that way. When people start taking a video game too seriously, the fun of it starts to go down the toilet.

if you want to play a sport, go play one. a real one.

How long do you expect developers to cater to pirates? If its a peer 2 peer setup connecting to b.net means shit, if your on a lan you will get lan speeds with your friends. Its really the best way to combat piracy without ridiculous DRM schemes that just get broken anyway. This way similar to steam you authenticate on an external server then play your game (I know about steams offline mode but even that dont work if you never authenticate).

Its pretty funny the amount of nerdrage blizzard games generate. Even though they really have yet to release a bad game (Say what you want about WoW its success speaks for itself) people still act like they dont know what they are doing.

It is not and has not always been thievery. Until recently, game companies have and occasionally still do specifically design methods for you to play locally with the same copy of a game. This is not giving your friend a free copy of the game. This is allowing you to use your copy of the game on another machine you own for occasional LAN play. Expecting someone to pay full price for another software license for that particular use is absurd.

It's moronic for them to expect you to purchase a whole new game so you can occasionally play multilayer in your own home. LAN play with a single copy should be fair use. Restricting such activity only punishes those who actually buy the game.

Back