Starcraft 2 launched today and nobody cares?

SonicTron

Snopes is My Fact Checker
Seems like Blizzard took a good thing, dragged it out for 6 years and destroyed it over those years. Now nobody cares......

Gonna go play the campaign now just so I can end the 17 year experience, and then uninstall the game

They tried to milk it and i think it just backfired on them. SC2 should've been released as a full package not in increments that's why there is no hype at all.

They tried to milk it and i think it just backfired on them. SC2 should've been released as a full package not in increments that's why there is no hype at all.

Each StarCraft two release had more content than StarCraft had. It's not lacking content. The RTS genre is lower popularity today

Each StarCraft two release had more content than StarCraft had. It's not lacking content. The RTS genre is lower popularity today

The original promises surrounding the SC2 brand were that the whole trilogy would be released within about 3 years time. Whoops.

The original promises surrounding the SC2 brand were that the whole trilogy would be released within about 3 years time. Whoops.

Oh, quit it. We either get quality over time or yearly COD releases. Chose one or the other. Either way, where is the official statement of such?

I think a lot of attention is taken by Fallout 4, which is brand new game rather than just an expansion in SC2.

I still bought it, but as per usual, I only play campaign or skirmish against AI for RTS games, never a fan of playing against another people.

My understanding is that each game was actually finished within that timeframe, but because of competitive play, etc, they held them off in order to allow for greater changes and balancing before introducing new content (aka units). That is just my understanding though. I can't remember where I read it, so I can't site source. Feel free to disregard if you don't feel it ads to the conversation.

i don't think the popularity of the RTS genre is low, i just thing people are sick of starcraft already.. err wait sorry i mean starcraft 2...

I think a lot of attention is taken by Fallout 4, which is brand new game rather than just an expansion in SC2.

I still bought it, but as per usual, I only play campaign or skirmish against AI for RTS games, never a fan of playing against another people.

I hope the campaign is more like the one in WoL than in HotS.

And IMO, the most fun I have ever had with online RTS was with Red Alert 2 :p Not to say SC2 isn't fun to play online vs. other people, but because of esports, many people take SC2 way too seriously.

People love games like Company of Heroes. SC2 just took too long to release the expansions because of E-Sports balance, and they chose the worst week of all time to do it with the release of Fallout 4. Bob Ross was beating the top SC2 streams on Twitch.

I stopped caring when they first announced they would release it in 3 parts.

I have it pre-ordered and it unlocked last night but I honestly don't have any time to play. Thing is, there are just so many games released in past 2-3 months that I am swamped. This will be on the back burner for a while.

I played the prologue though which was 3 missions and it left me wanting so that is a good thing. I really hope they close out the trilogy with a bang since I was invested in the story even with all the cheese between Raynor and Swarm bitch queen thingie. I even forgot her name given it took them so long to release the damn thing.

I have so many unfinished games that I am literally dying here. On consoles alone I have about 7-8 new games that are unfinished like Forza 6, Halo 5, FO 4, Tomb Raider, Until Dawn, Gears of War, 3 Uncharted games, Witcher 3 expansion, COD BLOPS 3, Destiny expansion... I think I may have over spent these months without good reason. I don't think I have anymore games left to buy until January.

^ exactly the point of this thread.

Legacy of the Void launched yesterday

I played the prologue though which was 3 missions and it left me wanting so that is a good thing. I really hope they close out the trilogy with a bang since I was invested in the story even with all the cheese between Raynor and Swarm bitch queen thingie. I even forgot her name given it took them so long to release the damn thing.

Kerrigan.

Although I really wouldn't consider that to be a bad thing, this year more than made up for the lackluster 2014 in gaming, easily. So many AAA and good titles.

Well, the game does what it does well, but doesn't innovate past the same formula of the original. I'm not saying they didn't make updates, but really the game was probably made for the money more then anything else. It's kind of sad the turns Blizzard has taken since WOW.

I think launching in these mini installments was a real dick move.
SC players want a main base game that's huge and then an expansion in two years or so. I think the most people were ever ok with is a base game with two expansions max.

Just IMO, but I think when you divide a franchise into multiple parts released over several years, you risk dragging it far too long and people will lose interest before you get to the end. Of course the more enthusiastic fans will continue to pay attention, but the casual ones will probably just think "oh, another Starcraft 2 expansion"

Had Blizzard announced Warcraft 4 for example, that will gain plenty of attention because that will be something new, and not a title that we've heard for many years.

I bought it and played it last night. It's good so far. I stayed up way too late playing so..thats a good sign.

Just IMO, but I think when you divide a franchise into multiple parts released over several years, you risk dragging it far too long and people will lose interest before you get to the end. Of course the more enthusiastic fans will continue to pay attention, but the casual ones will probably just think "oh, another Starcraft 2 expansion"

Had Blizzard announced Warcraft 4 for example, that will gain plenty of attention because that will be something new, and not a title that we've heard for many years.

I agree I think you do take a huge risk of losing consumer interest. Warhammer comes to mind here...

It's certainly going to be a combination of reasons. One that I hasn't been mentioned is that Blizzard own games, notably Overwatch, have likely also taken something away from the buzz for SC2.

But I also think the level of reception might be a bit skewed because of perceptions, this is after all an expansion and Fallout 4 is looking like it will be biggest release on the PC since Skyrim.

Imagine if you told someone in the late 90s that one day Fallout would dwarf Starcraft in terms of popularity while setting records. Some things do change :p

Last edited:
soon as they dragged it out in 3 stages i never bothered to look at it again to be honest

Wrong time to release it and took too long. Also, star wars battlefront releases next Tuesday and EA has been doing a lot of advertising. I haven't bought the StarCraft expansion yet but there was so much time between the releases I forgot what's even happening and blizzard hasn't really advertised much so they're in a sense responsible for the lack of interest.

Wow I forget about this way to much time 5 years come on. All this should have been in the base game and the xpac could have been a new race or new type of game play or some thing.

My copy will be in tomorrow. Looking forward to it. In my case I didn't play WoL or HotS until this year so its all rather fresh for me

Blizzard games are worth owning - they always put in a lot and keep it going for years. Its a shame this hasn't gotten more attention

I pre-ordered LotV about a month ago and completely forgot it dropped today. Installing it as I type this.

SC is one of my all-time favorites. I have played through WoL and HotS several times each.

Yeah, playing through the campaign at the moment, just got to the point where my phase-smith is chastising himself for failing the Hierarch.

A couple of surprises here and there though, for example, someone you would never expect to make a come back, made a come back (the VA is even the same guy!).

I am going to try ULMB tonight with it, but I cannot help but feel there is a bit of jerkiness with the game. DSR'ed 5k on a single 970 can run up to about high details, had to knock it down to 4k to run ultra, but DSR certainly does help improve the menu model details. Otherwise, it's recognisably Blizzard game, best in the industry cutscene IQ, somewhat weak on the plot side, but it's not terribad.

This is probably bigger news in Korea

No, Korea has moved on as well like other markets to other games. The most popular game by far in Korea is LoL.

SC2 never achieved anywhere near the same success as SC1.

Times change. Look at the 90s FPS giants, those types of games and franchises are not the current mega ones in the genre either. 20 years is a very long time.

My copy will be in tomorrow. Looking forward to it. In my case I didn't play WoL or HotS until this year so its all rather fresh for me

Blizzard games are worth owning - they always put in a lot and keep it going for years. Its a shame this hasn't gotten more attention

I just recently bought the SC2 Battlechest a few weeks ago, so it's all really new to me. I tried the free weekend of Grey Goo on steam a few weeks ago and someone mentioned that grey goo was like SC2 except not as good, so I started looking into SC, and yeah I'd say SC is pretty cool.
I'm currently playing through the original, just past half way on the zerg campaign, then it's on to Broodwar, then wol/hots, and probably pick up lotv around Christmas time.

There's really a lot going on with SC2. I really like the UI, kinda reminds me of DoW II's ui a bit. They have def put some time and effort into this and I think it shows. Looking forward to trying some coop, prob not to much mp, if any at all, as I imagine it would be quite devastating for a newb.

I played the campiagn until around 70-80%% I think. Then for some reason I just lost interest. The game feeds you so much info and conversations that at a certain point I felt it became too much. But the main reason was the storyline, the missions and the direction it was taking in the second half. I eventually watched the ending on Youtube. I'm glad to see the main storyline has ended but it isn't the Starcraft I once fell in love with anymore. But then again, it hasn't been that way for quite some time.

I enjoyed the storyline in HoTS despite its flaws, but I couldn't keep my interest here. Then again, I'm more of a Zerg-type of player. Despite that, the game oozes quality and polish from every angle. It's one thing Blizzard is still doing well. Writing an interesting story? Not so much anymore.

LoTV started out shitty but has been picking up. (About 2 hours in). My daughter is picking up where I left off ~ 20 years ago. :D She played HotS about 4-5 times through. She's a huge Kerrigan fan, I hope she appears in LoTV a decent bit.

Never really care for the evil guy coming back story TBH.

I was somewhat interested, but full price for an expansion plus always on/battle.net bullshit means no dollars from me.

Meh.

Probably because Starcraft 2 was a gigantic bag of shite compared to Warcraft 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_II:_Tides_of_Darkness

Starcraft 2 was just a dumbed down re-skin / tech tree rip off of Warcraft 2.

Warcraft 3 was some kind of garbage, the highlight being that it gave birth to the MOBA generation:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/warcraft-iii-reign-of-chaos/user-reviews

So basically you just don't like any Blizzard RTS games.

Also you seem to have confused SC2 with the original SC.

I actually kind of agree with MrAgmoore in some respects. WarCraft 2 was the best warcraft in the series of Warcraft RTS. WarCraft III really ruined it for me even though I've played it to a "pro" level beating out some of the known players in 1v1 matches.

I also played WarCraft 2 at a very high level before "e-sports" came to be, and still to this day feel pretty bitter that War3 did not get the SC2 kinda treatment in terms of just updating graphics while maintaining similar game play as SC1.

War3 would have been perfect if they got the sc2 treatment in terms of gameplay, that and ogres no longer being part of the Orcs rubbed me the wrong way! lol

The campaign is really tough on brutal. I've gone through WoL and HotS on brutal recently, and pretty much none of those come to the same level of challenge that some of the LotV missions bring. Hands down, SC2 campaigns are the best missions I've played in RTS. All other RTS I've played is simply build an army and kill the enemy. SC2 at least puts a twist on the missions to give it a little variety. Story is so-so, but I've never seen story told well in RTS ever.

Allied commander (co-op objective based missions) are really fun, chose from 6 different heroes (2 for each race) that have different playstyles to complete the missions. They have a basic progression system (XP) so that that hero gains new abilities so you can tackle harder difficulties. It's pretty fun, but the biggest drawback is that there are only 5 missions right now. Its gets really grindy to level up but not necessary to beat the missions, my brother and I were able to beat most of the hard missions at level 1.

Have yet to tackle competitive multiplayer, dont want to officially know that I'm playing at bronze caliber :).

So basically you just don't like any Blizzard RTS games.

Also you seem to have confused SC2 with the original SC.

Pretty sure Warcraft 2 was by Blizzard. And anyone who was alive at the time, who played Warcraft 2, and had half a brain, knew that SC1 was a re-skin of Warcraft 2. You had to memorize the tech tree in Warcraft 2, so this wasn't rocket science.

Warcraft 2 -> Shitty re-skin of Starcraft 1 -> Starcraft 2 : same old shit, different day

There's nothing interesting about zergfest rushes. The whole concept of zerging was the downfall of the RTS genre.

Back