Starcraft 2 Goes Free To Play On 11-14-17

darrpara

Gawd
https://starcraft2.com/en-us/

Great! So what is free you ask?
1) Wings of Liberty campaign!
2) Access to multiplayer ladder!
You will be able to access the ranked multiplayer ladder to compete with other players to become the best of the best, complete with all of the multiplayer units from Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm, and Legacy of the Void. All you have to do to unlock it permanently is earn 10 First Wins of the Day in Unranked or Versus A.I. play—our way to preserve the quality and integrity of the ranked experience. <-- This is largely an anti-smurfing move not meant as some kind of roadblock.
3) Coop commanders up to level 5!

I love this game and have been playing it for 6 years now with my group of friends (every Wednesday!). Hopefully anyone who didn't want to pay in the past can join the fun now for free!

Still have to buy Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void? Fair enough. I'm still dipping my toes into the strategy genre, so getting one of the so-called best to try for free is great. And November 14 is my b-day.

Still have to buy Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void? Fair enough. I'm still dipping my toes into the strategy genre, so getting one of the so-called best to try for free is great. And November 14 is my b-day.

WRONG. If you has to buy something to get Starcraft 2 then it wouldn't be free to play.

Last edited:
WRONG. If you has to buy something to get Starcraft 2 then it wouldn't be frer to play.
I didn't say anything about F2P. I said "try for free." The use of the terminology is questionable, I agree, but I'm not the one who said it. Blizzard is.

I didn't say anything about F2P. I said "try for free." The use of the terminology is questionable, I agree, but I'm not the one who said it. Blizzard is.

I was responding to your claim that you'd have to buy Heart of the Swarm. You are wrong. You don't have to buy HOT. It's optional, not forced.

I was responding to your claim that you'd have to buy Heart of the Swarm. You are wrong. You don't have to buy HOT. It's optional, not forced.

It depends on what you're interest is when it comes to the game, yes? Want more SP content? You have to buy it.

It depends on what you're interest is when it comes to the game, yes? Want more SP content? You have to buy it.

Wrong. The game is free. The expansion packs aren't. We're not talking about the expansions being free because they're not so obviously you'd either need to pay for them, borrow or steal them in order to play the expansion packs.

I only own Wings of Liberty, got an email today from blizzard giving me Heart of the Swarm for free.

I only own Wings of Liberty, got an email today from blizzard giving me Heart of the Swarm for free.

Which is exactly how the deal works. If you didn't have the game at all (or only had the Starter Edition) you got Wings of Liberty for nit. If you had Wings, but none of the others, you got HotS for nit. If you had both Wings AND HotS, you got Legacy for nit.
During Cyber Week, both HotS and Legacy got deep discounts (50% off, in fact).
In any case, I'm chewing my way VERY gradually through Wings' campaign - rushing through exactly nothing. (The why is due to being literally ABOVE the graphical firewall thanks to DSR and having the graphical settings firewalled beforehand. Absolutely surprised what this low-end beastie can do.)

Back