Starcraft 2 Beta Key : Free with Pre-Order @ Gamestop!

Awesome. I've had my beta key for some time now but it'll be good to see you all online :) We have a thread going for posting usernames/handles so you can find practice or 2v2 partners!

woot, called my local game stop and he did indeed have codes available. being in canada and living in a smaller town I wasn't sure.

Whats funny is there not even cards you get, he had a printed off list with the codes and just wrote your number on the back of your receipt then crossed it off the list. Our store only had 5 codes given to them though, I was the second one to get one lol.

I picked mine up today. Already had a ghetto friends account he made for a few of us with his friends invite but now I have my own!

25% off code apparently no longer works on this.

Edit: Errr.. sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't depending on the browser...

Bundled it with God of War 3 ($49.99 - 25% = ~$37) and got 25% off of both. Yay!

Last edited:
lol... anyone else able to play with their key? Dont wanna blow the 60$ if I cannot get into beta.

The key I got from the B&M Gamestop up the road works just fine. Just got done playing a few games against the AI to get familiar with the new units.

lol... anyone else able to play with their key? Dont wanna blow the 60$ if I cannot get into beta.

mine worked fine, like I said in my last post the keys arn't covered up on sperate cards, there just listed on a sheet of paper the store prints off. If I had a camera and someone to distract the guy up front I could of snapped a quick pic and had all the keys :p So it doesn't surprise me that some keys are going to be stolen/copied and used.

The key I got from the B&M Gamestop up the road works just fine. Just got done playing a few games against the AI to get familiar with the new units.

Sweet I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable... I go to B&M and pre-order... get my key... login to my battle.net account. Guess what? I've had beta access since I don't even freakin' know when. I go through all my freakin' emails and NOTHING from blizzard about it. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Question: I know it says 24hrs but If you ordered online, how long did it take you guys to get your key?

Just got my key on lunch break, fired it up just fine. Played a round with some dude that absolutely owned me.

I'm gonna go ahead and ask the dumb question because I can't access the site at work and I've never pre-ordered at gamestop.

The OP said $5 for the pre-order. I guess that's a down payment? Is it refundable? Would I pay the whole cost when I pick up the game? If I chose not to pick it up do I just lose my $5?

Thanks in advance for answering the retard.

I'm gonna go ahead and ask the dumb question because I can't access the site at work and I've never pre-ordered at gamestop.

The OP said $5 for the pre-order. I guess that's a down payment? Is it refundable? Would I pay the whole cost when I pick up the game? If I chose not to pick it up do I just lose my $5?

Yes, its a "down payment." Essentially, you pay $5 for the beta key and the option of using that towards the full purchase. You do not get it back if you choose not to buy the retail. You can get the beta for $5 now and if you dont like the game, don't claim your reserve copy when it releases.

Yes, its a "down payment." Essentially, you pay $5 for the beta key and the option of using that towards the full purchase. You do not get it back if you choose not to buy the retail. You can get the beta for $5 now and if you dont like the game, don't claim your reserve copy when it releases.

Might be mistaken...it seems that the "pre-order" might be the full price of the game.

ok i got my beta key. i can download the client at 11pm tonight???? from battlenet or starcraft 2 website?

Might be mistaken...it seems that the "pre-order" might be the full price of the game.

When I ordered it online it showed full price: SEE BELOW. So I called he said I should get the Key within 24hrs and that I would not be charged until a week before it ships. Not sure if I'm getting the full story or not. I checked my account nothing has been charged yet. Still havn't got the key. Will wait till at least tomorrow.

Thank you for your order. We appreciate your business!

Date: 04-21-2010
Order #: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Amount: $63.96

Order Contents:

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty 1 Pre-order
$59.99
Ship this package to:
XXXXXXXX
address
XXXXXXXXX, XX XXXXX
United States of America
Shipping Method:
USA Ground - $0.00
Subtotal: $59.99
Estimated Tax: $3.97
Total: $63.96

ok i got my beta key. i can download the client at 11pm tonight???? from battlenet or starcraft 2 website?

You should be able to download it right now. Just type in the key on your battle.net account and it should appear as a new game. I think the 11pm tonight thing is just for those who pre-ordered online.

When I ordered it online it showed full price: SEE BELOW. So I called he said I should get the Key within 24hrs and that I would not be charged until a week before it ships. Not sure if I'm getting the full story or not. I checked my account nothing has been charged yet. Still havn't got the key. Will wait till at least tomorrow.

Thank you for your order. We appreciate your business!

Date: 04-21-2010
Order #: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Amount: $63.96

Order Contents:

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty 1 Pre-order
$59.99
Ship this package to:
XXXXXXXX
address
XXXXXXXXX, XX XXXXX
United States of America
Shipping Method:
USA Ground - $0.00
Subtotal: $59.99
Estimated Tax: $3.97
Total: $63.96

Could have sworn i read somewhere people walked into a B&M, paid $5 for the deposit, and walked out with a beta key on their receipt. Oh well...

Anyone got an extra key from multiple copy reserves that I could bum? As polished as I expect this game to be, I never seem to be able to get into RTS games. Although most of the ones I have played recently don't have bases, it's just controlling units and fighting... I think I enjoyed the base building from back in the day.

If I can't get a key here I may just do the preorder for key, then cancel if I am not feeling it.

Have fun in there!

Unbelievable... I go to B&M and pre-order... get my key... login to my battle.net account. Guess what? I've had beta access since I don't even freakin' know when. I go through all my freakin' emails and NOTHING from blizzard about it. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Now that's just funny.

The money you put down when you go pre-order goes toward the purchase of the actual game. You can pay as much as you want, whenever you want until the game comes out. If you only put down $5, the game will cost you $55 when you go to pick up the game. If you put down $60, you can just go pick up the game when it is released. It's actually not a bad system. While I was in school, I'd go put down like $10 every few weeks before a game came out, and it would be paid off before by the actual release date....$60 is a fairly large sum to be spending at one time as a college student lol.

You can always cancel your pre-order if you decide you don't want the game.

Could have sworn i read somewhere people walked into a B&M, paid $5 for the deposit, and walked out with a beta key on their receipt. Oh well...

thats how it works. I went back to the gamestop and told them my key was claimed so they gave me a new one that worked. I told them i wanted to pay in full and they told me in store you just have to put $5 to get the beta and dont have to pay it all but i did anyway

I just got my email for my 2 extra keys from my pre-order. If match making or custom games are working, log in and out until it does lol.

Last edited:
I just got my email for my 2 extra keys from my pre-order. But dont be in a rush everyone it seems they have disabled match-making and custom games. So even if you get in and get the game installed you wont be able to play.

Come again?!

Did they close all the beta servers? That is a cheap move from Gamestop to be claiming beta access if you pre-order if the servers aren't even online....

Is it temporary? Anyone know? I was planning on getting it after work....

The money you put down when you go pre-order goes toward the purchase of the actual game. You can pay as much as you want, whenever you want until the game comes out. If you only put down $5, the game will cost you $55 when you go to pick up the game. If you put down $60, you can just go pick up the game when it is released. It's actually not a bad system. While I was in school, I'd go put down like $10 every few weeks before a game came out, and it would be paid off before by the actual release date....$60 is a fairly large sum to be spending at one time as a college student lol.

You can always cancel your pre-order if you decide you don't want the game.

Actually, once you receive a beta key, you can not cancel your order. It's best to put down $5 on the regular edition and let it go and never pick it up if you change your mind.

Pre-ordered the normal edition along with 2 copies of Cataclysm and used the 25OFF coupon code.

Come again?!

Did they close all the beta servers? That is a cheap move from Gamestop to be claiming beta access if you pre-order if the servers aren't even online....

I don't know, since a database error early this week they have been having a lot of problems, peoples ranks getting reset, dropping from matches. I myself I have tried to redo my placement matches at least 3 times last night and and they kept resetting around 3 or 4 matches in. :(.

Last edited:
Come again?!

Relax, Bliz is just doing some maintenance. You can't expect the game to work well in Beta, that's why its still in beta. Problems eventually will get ironed out. Hopefully they will enable 3v3 and 4v4 soon.

Back