Starbucks' New Wireless Charging Won't Work For Most Devices

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you thought Starbucks' wireless charging announcement sounded too good to be true, that's because it is.

Starbucks today announced the rollout of wireless charging nationwide, but nearly all mobile handsets and consumer devices currently in use that incorporate wireless charging technology won't be able to use it.

Your quote doesn't specify or summarize "Power Matters/PMA standard" not "Qi standard".

3/4 of mobile devices can't use it? Good planning there.

Half Life 3 confirmed!

sounds to me like there were two guys who came up with this idea.

First guy: hey let's have our tables charge people's phones, that would be pretty cool, and not cost us much of anything in terms of electricity. Hey <second guy> you are in charge of making this happen.

Second guy: Cool I'll get right on that!

We now have proof that that the second guy is a freaking moron - most everything uses Qi as I understand. 5 seconds of google could solve the problem of "what's popular" in that arena.\

sounds to me like there were two guys who came up with this idea.

First guy: hey let's have our tables charge people's phones, that would be pretty cool, and not cost us much of anything in terms of electricity. Hey <second guy> you are in charge of making this happen.

Second guy: Cool I'll get right on that!

We now have proof that that the second guy is a freaking moron - most everything uses Qi as I understand. 5 seconds of google could solve the problem of "what's popular" in that arena.\

Quite possible Starbucks isn't spending a dime on those and the PMA consortium is attempting to push their standard through by paying to implement this.

When I read "wireless charging" I immediately started thinking of Tesla's wireless power :cool:. I was disappoint :(.

It doesn't matter. If the chargers cover iPhones they have 95% of their customer base covered.

http://rightstartups.com/strings-attached-wireless-charging/ "When the next version is released it will enable store managers to monitor the amount of time that customers choose to use a charger and even transmit coupons for a drink."

Nice. Instead of saying it literally, managers can slyly say "Hey fuckstick, either buy something or GTFO".

Maybe Starbucks plans to enter the Smartphone market with their own phone like Amazon ... one that would be totally compatible with their charging setup and any other phone base product offerings they want to make ;)

Why not just install power outlets at the edges of the counters.

OH.........................

In the article, it says "According to IHS, 80% of consumers want wireless charging in public places, so the move by Starbucks was expected."

What percentage of these 80% even has a phone that is already capable of wireless charging?

That's kindve like people wanting more electric charging stations when most of them only own gasoline cars.

Back