Star Wars: The Old Republic Multiplayer Clip

Was that clip supposed to make me want to buy it?

My old copy of X-Wing was more fun...

:cool:

No it wasn't. It was easily the worst game I've ever played and it was the worst Star Wars licensed game I had ever seen. I tried to like it but frankly the game was a failure from day one. They made a game, included droids, storm troopers and the iconic music from the films and the game still didn't feel like Star Wars at all.

It sure as hell felt like star wars to me.

No, it didn't have the iconic insert (Jedi, Smuggler, Princess, whatever) experiance.

However, that was what attracted so many people to the game. You had the chance to make your own way in the star wars universe any way you wanted to. Frankly, i'm tired of playing star wars games from the typical roles. It's a tired experiance now. I had a crapload of fun playing as how I saw fit in the game. My Ranger/Bounty Hunter could track down various animals, and build impressive camps to help people buff up / heal. People would track me down for my services and pay me a decent amount of money to lead them on expeditions on different planets for rare creatures. I could also use my master ranger tracking abilites to hunt down Jedi, and collect some serious bounty killing the very first Jedi/Sith as more and more people unlocked them.

I also had a fun time with an alternate character who was a droid engineer. I made some fairly unique droids. The crafting in SWG was in such a way where every item was unique if you didn't put the blueprints in a production facility and create a bunch of them off that single blueprint. (The stats wouldn't be as good then, and they all looked the same in the game world)

I've never played a MMO like SWG. Yes, it definatly had flaws, and at release it was a disaster. However, a few patches after release up until the combat upgrade, SWG was the best MMO available.

And no, there has been nothing like it yet. I've mildly toyed around with Mortal online, and numerous other MMO's - But none have done it as good.

Blah. Bioware was my favorite game company.

My shelf is dominated by their products. BG, BG2, NWN, KOTOR, KOTOR2, but starting with with Dragon Age the dumbing down began. Character building was essentially non existent and it seemed to be going toward WOW mechanics. This completes the transition. This is WoW with lasers.

I knew EA buying Bioware was the beginning of the end. No interest in anything else they are doing.

I still play NWN more than any other game...

I hate all the WoW clone talk - I don't play wow*, nor do I plan on playing this but to say its a WoW clone is to give credit to WoW for creating these basic mechanics.

I don't understand why people complain that its like WoW, its supposed to be (somewhat) - it is of the same genre after all.

BF:BC2 and CoD:MW2 are alike because they are both war shooters

To say that WoW is mindless and numbing is also very odd to me, WoW's structure is to allow the hardcore and the casual enjoy the same game. The most recent instance, Icecrown had an interesting mechanic; over time (several weeks per interval) the instance became easier by giving the players more dmg/health/healing. The hardcore folks get in right away and fight the encounters without handicaps and then the casual folk (and the bad players) come in when the fights have been broken down (guides) and made easier via handicaps.

In my opinion WoW can be very difficult, i feel the high end raiding content is equally difficult to god of war 3 chaos mode. Most people cannot do it without guides/tricks/huge amounts attempts. Also a note to the healer is boring to watch comment; Healing in high end raiding is even more difficult then the other classes (usually), in order to achieve a very high output of damage the number of healers is kept to a minimum making it very difficult to do the classes' job as well as the mechanics of the encounter.

/opinion

*I dont play wow, presently, cataclysm doesn't interest me much and until they make the game more interesting I wont be playing again. I'm not in the club of people who played wow and now hate it and mock those who play it. If its fun i'll play it - if not I wont, its pretty simple.

If you're a tank WoW can be an assload of hard work.

Very excited for this game. I'm just hoping it doesn't release too close to Diablo 3. I might die if i have to choose between them.

I was wondering how hard it was going to be to choose between FFXIV and SWTOR, and it's looking like it will be easy.

This doesn't look like it played anything like WoW...

Regardless it was a lame video of the gameplay and horrible explanation at that. I think they are working on too many animation bugs from the looks of it. Same thing happened to AO and AO ended up being really buggy everywhere else and they STILL couldn't fix the lag bugs. I can see that happening here.

AO was still one of the best MMOs I have ever played. I rate it high above World of Warcraft, and only 2nd to Star Wars Galaxies.

No, it didn't have the iconic insert (Jedi, Smuggler, Princess, whatever) experiance.

However, that was what attracted so many people to the game. You had the chance to make your own way in the star wars universe any way you wanted to. Frankly, i'm tired of playing star wars games from the typical roles. It's a tired experiance now. I had a crapload of fun playing as how I saw fit in the game. My Ranger/Bounty Hunter could track down various animals, and build impressive camps to help people buff up / heal. People would track me down for my services and pay me a decent amount of money to lead them on expeditions on different planets for rare creatures. I could also use my master ranger tracking abilites to hunt down Jedi, and collect some serious bounty killing the very first Jedi/Sith as more and more people unlocked them.

I also had a fun time with an alternate character who was a droid engineer. I made some fairly unique droids. The crafting in SWG was in such a way where every item was unique if you didn't put the blueprints in a production facility and create a bunch of them off that single blueprint. (The stats wouldn't be as good then, and they all looked the same in the game world)

I've never played a MMO like SWG. Yes, it definatly had flaws, and at release it was a disaster. However, a few patches after release up until the combat upgrade, SWG was the best MMO available.

And no, there has been nothing like it yet. I've mildly toyed around with Mortal online, and numerous other MMO's - But none have done it as good.

I agree with everything. SWG was one of he most unique MMO experiences. Cities were always crowded, you could find people in cantinas to buff or trade with. Encountering a Jedi was a rare and fun experience. The class tree in SWG was incredible, the amount of skills to train and the paths you could take were great. I felt like I could literally choose my own patch and not be just another "Tier 3 Death Knight" clone. All armor was unique depending on the skill of the crafter who made it. Many stats were different depending on the materials used to make the armor. I love traveling on my speeder across planets and encountering someones home with trophys of huge Krayt dragons or rare Jedi holocrons and lightsaber crystals. Watching droids walk around barking their store vendors. I loved being able to customize my armor color, add little upgrades to my weapons, fine the best skill crafter with the best materials to make the best version of my pistol. Life was sweet in SWG.

I agree with everything. SWG was one of he most unique MMO experiences. Cities were always crowded, you could find people in cantinas to buff or trade with. Encountering a Jedi was a rare and fun experience. The class tree in SWG was incredible, the amount of skills to train and the paths you could take were great. I felt like I could literally choose my own patch and not be just another "Tier 3 Death Knight" clone. All armor was unique depending on the skill of the crafter who made it. Many stats were different depending on the materials used to make the armor. I love traveling on my speeder across planets and encountering someones home with trophys of huge Krayt dragons or rare Jedi holocrons and lightsaber crystals. Watching droids walk around barking their store vendors. I loved being able to customize my armor color, add little upgrades to my weapons, fine the best skill crafter with the best materials to make the best version of my pistol. Life was sweet in SWG.

SWG was great for a while. I really liked learning by word of mouth or by advertisements who had the best armor, weapons, foods, etc -- then traveling to their shop/mall on a planet and seeing all their goods. Finding a little hole in the wall place that had great stat food for sale at a reasonable price. Also peoples houses that were decorated to such a degree that was just nuts. The gameplay lacked content in terms of combat, but the community was just excellent for a period shortly after release. I am not sure where things went wrong so early, though.

I'm probably gonna buy it, just because it's an MMO, in the Star Wars universe, made by Bioware.

We'll see how long my sub lasts.

I wonder if FFXIV will be any better.

Seeing as anything after FFX sucked...probably not.

Looked better than City Of Heroes, should have viewed the combat from another characters perspective than a healer with no intention of actually fighting.

SWG was great for a while. I really liked learning by word of mouth or by advertisements who had the best armor, weapons, foods, etc -- then traveling to their shop/mall on a planet and seeing all their goods. Finding a little hole in the wall place that had great stat food for sale at a reasonable price. Also peoples houses that were decorated to such a degree that was just nuts. The gameplay lacked content in terms of combat, but the community was just excellent for a period shortly after release. I am not sure where things went wrong so early, though.

Yeah the combat was a little lackluster but if they kept the only good part of the CU which was the actual combat, then it would have been great. Thats where SWG went downhill, SOE turned it into a casual fest. The CU + NGE patches killed the fanbase. Jedi's a starting profession? No more creature handler? No more insane skill trees? No more vendors? What happened? Why? WHY!?

Funny, just cause I don't have room to mention my PS2, PS3, NES, SNES, Game Gear, Wii, Game Cube, or my old Atari systems that could take 2600 cartridges...you assume I haven't played any console games?

Yeah the combat was a little lackluster but if they kept the only good part of the CU which was the actual combat, then it would have been great. Thats where SWG went downhill, SOE turned it into a casual fest. The CU + NGE patches killed the fanbase. Jedi's a starting profession? No more creature handler? No more insane skill trees? No more vendors? What happened? Why? WHY!?

Don't forget completely removing the Ranger tree. I logged in one day to find that my Master Ranger was no longer able to be a Ranger. Let alone a Master Ranger. My subscription ended there.

There's literally isn't any other MMO right where you can have an effect on the world and people around you. I worked my way up to an imperial droid engineer on Naboo where a large clan of rebels had build this massive base. Took us several days to get enough imperials together to destroy the base and kick them off naboo. Mostly never going to have an interactive experience like that again. Pretty sad.

It's funny everyone bitched up a storm when they said you had get master I think in a bunch of classes before you could get jedi, but that's the way it should be. It shouldn't be easy and last I checked that was the point. All the jedi were dead or in hiding for reason. How exactly would it be fun to be a jedi when EVERYONE is a jedi?

Heres hoping Planetside 2 brings these ideas backed. Old republic looks like another MMO clone to me.

Yeah, I absolutely hated when they patched that into SWG. Getting Jedi/Sith was -HARD-. Yes, the system to do it was really stupid - But they made it so time consuming and hard to get that it prevented many people from getting Jedi. Even then, once you made Jedi - If your character died; That was it. You had to start over with a new Jedi character from square one. I loved that system. Yes, it put the Jedi/Sith into hiding as they should have been, and you rarely saw them. However, when you did see them they were usually maxed out in skills and were a serious threat on a battlefield. Which is why people like me, would go around hunting them before they made it to that point.

I remember logging in after they added in that quest so basically anyone could get Jedi/Sith, and they were around everywhere. From that point on, IMO, is when the game began to fall apart.

I just finished Mass Effect 2 and even though I thought the game to be fairly good, I think what they streamlined in ME2 compared to the first is going to show how streamlined SWtoR is going to be. Hell, look at how simplified Dragon Age (again, a fun game) is compared to the old NWN or Baldurs Gate games. From what I've seen so far, the game will be fun, but it's not going to keep me long term

Game mechanics, character customization isnt going to be very deep. Yes, focus on story, with characters changing based on the choices, but I think in the end the final characters are going to be cookie cutter builds.

I still dont see how this focus on story is going to work. I hear that what you see is different from what other people see. So you kill person X a few days ago and you come back to see a bunch of people crowed around where you killed person X because they didnt kill him and have quests to do. Either that or all those "permanent changes" are instanced, and if so, why the hell is this an MMO to begin with?

The gameplay lacked content in terms of combat, but the community was just excellent for a period shortly after release. I am not sure where things went wrong so early, though.

That's easy, people discovered how to become a Jedi, and then it became a grindfest. What they SHOULD have done, is after one Jedi was unlocked, change the parameters and make it a mystery again. That way, Jedis would have remained rare and elusive. They could have fixed some combat elements and kept the crafting system intact. Its ironic that they attempted to maximize on the popularity of WoW, then achieved the complete opposite and instead of gaining more subscriptions, lost ALL of their subscriptions. Sony's Smedley and Lucas Art's Torres ( I think that was his name) should be a case study in epic fail business classes in colleges across the planet.

That's easy, people discovered how to become a Jedi, and then it became a grindfest. What they SHOULD have done, is after one Jedi was unlocked, change the parameters and make it a mystery again. That way, Jedis would have remained rare and elusive. They could have fixed some combat elements and kept the crafting system intact. Its ironic that they attempted to maximize on the popularity of WoW, then achieved the complete opposite and instead of gaining more subscriptions, lost ALL of their subscriptions. Sony's Smedley and Lucas Art's Torres ( I think that was his name) should be a case study in epic fail business classes in colleges across the planet.

Well it was already pretty random. You needed to master 5 random top tier classes. There were also Jedi holocrons that would tell you one of your 5 you needed to master. Still took some people 4-6 months to become force sensitive. The first Jedi was almost 8 months into the release of SWG. Ended up being sold on ebay for over $2,000. It was insane.

Encountering a Jedi was spectacular, I remember playing around on my Commando in Tatooine in I think Mos Eisley with a few other Imperial players taking out Rebels when out of nowhere Darth Vader appears and starts a huge war. Players started to call out their Imperial ATST's and others got in their full stormtrooper regelia. We had atleast 40-60 imperial players destroying EVERYTHING and Darth Vader walking around force griping the shit out of Rebels and just takin them down one by one. Suddenly 2 light Jedi's come out of nowhere and rip through our army like nothing, destroying our Walkers in a few hits, would normally take 4 high class players to destroy one in minutes. One by one we were just being torn apart. Then Darth Vader made a hasteful retreat in his starship. It made the Jedi such a rare and yet epic encounter.

Then I finally became a Bounty Hunter. I remember spending my times on Dathomir, lovely Dathomir, home to the Jedi quest doers and Rancor camps. Sometimes a few of us Bounty Hunters would get together on an epic Jedi hunting expedition around Dathomir and kill lower ranking Jedi. Occasionally someone would get reports on a Jedi hideout/home on some planet and a few of us Bounty Hunters would camp the place for days waiting for that elusive Jedi to come back so we can ambush him. Great times. Why couldn't SOE just rollback te servers? Don't they realize what a huge mistake they made?

HAHAHAHAHAHA the community was a joke you fool it was all 8 year olds. I don't know what game you were fucking playing lololololol

When he went through the 4 classes at the start I closed teh video.

No thanks I dont need another tank/ dps/ healer class game.

Casting spells to heal? Chars with huge hp to tank? Fighting bad guys? This is totally a UO clone. Sheesh guys its been 13 years, why not try something new.

Casting spells to heal? Chars with huge hp to tank? Fighting bad guys? This is totally a UO clone. Sheesh guys its been 13 years, why not try something new.

Your criticisms fail. If "it's been done" is enough to completely discredit a game, then game devs should cancel 95% of the games being made.

I was actually being a smartass. Who cares if something has be done before, shit that works is kept, shit that doesnt gets rewritten.

Which is pretty much every MMO in existance. How can you have a team based MMO without a main tank to take damage, a support class to deal damage, and a healing class to keep everyone else alive. I believe SWG was the only game that didn't have a definitive, healer/tank/dps class because everything was so interchangeable.

Which is pretty much every MMO in existance. How can you have a team based MMO without a main tank to take damage, a support class to deal damage, and a healing class to keep everyone else alive. I believe SWG was the only game that didn't have a definitive, healer/tank/dps class because everything was so interchangeable.

It just baffles me as to why so late in the MMO game someone thinks its a good idea to drop another class based cookie cutter MMO.

I can understand the fact that they are just milking the "general" Star Wars, as well as the KOTOR IP, trying to pull some nostalgic customers. But once that wears off its obvious that this will flop unless they do something drastic.

I mean have any of the cookie cutter MMO's that have come out after WoW had any success? Sure they get a boon of customers on release but eventually once everyone realizes its the exact same thing as every other MMO out they just quit or go back to WoW do whatever.

WoW was the first real American based MMO. Which is what I think had most to do with the success. They had some great marketing ontop of an already well known IP. They also had a story set in stone so alot of the work was essentially done for them. SWG was immensely popular until the NGE, again another widely promoted game in the states with an already concrete storyline. WoW is good, but there is better out there, you just have to be willing to find it.

Back