Star Wars: The old Republic E3 News...

Fully voiced over is awesome and often enhances overall experience, but it does nothing to gameplay mechanics. I'm not sold on a game because its fully voiced over.

Kotor I and II was badass, the choices were fun and the combat was awesome. But simply improving the graphics and adding multiplayer support will not keep me coming back. How will the story work with events? Can you only do a quest once? How does joining up in a party affect questing? Does everyone have to be on the same quest? What if party members want to make different decisions? What is there to do (PvE wise) after all the quests are finished? Story is great but I dont see how it works in the MMO genre when every other player can make different decisions on the same quest. If everyone gets to choose their own story, it seems to undermine that you're part of this universe that you can affect. If they can pull it off, awesome, but I've heard nothing about the big picture.

You need to spend some time on youtube or gametrailers watching gameplay as you clearly haven't watched any yet. All of these questions have been thoroughly explained by bioware.

How will the story work with events?

I don't understand the question.

Can you only do a quest once?

Yes. Only once. And unlike kotor 1/2 all decisions you make are truly permanent. No reloading save files this time :p.

How does joining up in a party affect questing?

I can't explain this as well as seeing it can. Please watch all three parts of this three part video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdzfo8zBiEc

Does everyone have to be on the same quest?

I guess. Not completely sure I understand what your asking but you need to invite friends to a quest if that's what you mean.

What if party members want to make different decisions?

Doesn't work that way. Watch the video I linked.

What is there to do (PvE wise) after all the quests are finished?

Ugh, not going to write a wall of text until you start watching the videos.

That video really doesnt really give the overall picture my barrage of questions were trying to answer. Have you played an MMO before? It's not about the specific player development, its about the entire universe you play in. One aspect I liked that WoW does is instance based dungeons, where a party or raid make up their own instance of a dungeon that only they can access. That way you dont wait for boss X to respawn, and dont have to compete with other questers. That seems like thats how SWToR is going to work. So each player can choose to kill the captain or not, and it doesnt affect how everyone else playing the game has to choose. That works fine, but its only one part of the puzzle. If this is the only aspect of questing, then the game is no deeper than Guild Wars, City of heroes or even Diablo 2, where cities are nothing more than glorified chat rooms, and all real gameplay is instanced and seperated from the rest of the world.

One part I loved about MMO's was meeting a random person in the world while questing in the World, maybe strike up a conversation, and in a few minutes diving into a dungeon. Like I said, the only feasible way I seem them pushing story is having instanced only quests, which will kill the general community. Furthermore, if multiple people make permanent decisions (such as killing the captain) less people will be inclined to join pickup groups, further killing the community.

This would work perfectly as KoToR3, but if they want to make it an MMO, they're going to need a reason for people to keep playing (beyond playing all 8 classes). I heard a while back that the game might be microtransaction based, meaning multiplayer resembling more like Guild Wars instead of WoW. With such a focus on OMG STORY, it might be more successful with microtransaction than subscriptions. I can see a significant amount people picking this up, "beating it" without talking to many people in the game, and never renewing a subscription.

That video really doesnt really give the overall picture my barrage of questions were trying to answer. Have you played an MMO before? It's not about the specific player development, its about the entire universe you play in. One aspect I liked that WoW does is instance based dungeons, where a party or raid make up their own instance of a dungeon that only they can access. That way you dont wait for boss X to respawn, and dont have to compete with other questers. That seems like thats how SWToR is going to work. So each player can choose to kill the captain or not, and it doesnt affect how everyone else playing the game has to choose. That works fine, but its only one part of the puzzle. If this is the only aspect of questing, then the game is no deeper than Guild Wars, City of heroes or even Diablo 2, where cities are nothing more than glorified chat rooms, and all real gameplay is instanced and seperated from the rest of the world.

One part I loved about MMO's was meeting a random person in the world while questing in the World, maybe strike up a conversation, and in a few minutes diving into a dungeon. Like I said, the only feasible way I seem them pushing story is having instanced only quests, which will kill the general community. Furthermore, if multiple people make permanent decisions (such as killing the captain) less people will be inclined to join pickup groups, further killing the community.

This would work perfectly as KoToR3, but if they want to make it an MMO, they're going to need a reason for people to keep playing (beyond playing all 8 classes). I heard a while back that the game might be microtransaction based, meaning multiplayer resembling more like Guild Wars instead of WoW. With such a focus on OMG STORY, it might be more successful with microtransaction than subscriptions. I can see a significant amount people picking this up, "beating it" without talking to many people in the game, and never renewing a subscription.

You should read:
http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=33345
http://www.askajedi.com/2010/06/16/exclusive-james-ohlen-qa/

for answers to most of your concerns. SW:TOR will only be about 5% instanced with a 95% open, seamless world (per planet). Exploration and social interaction seems to be a very big part of the game.

You should read:
http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=33345
http://www.askajedi.com/2010/06/16/exclusive-james-ohlen-qa/

for answers to most of your concerns. SW:TOR will only be about 5% instanced with a 95% open, seamless world (per planet). Exploration and social interaction seems to be a very big part of the game.

That is a ton of good information, thanks!!!

So flashpoints seems to be the repeatable instanced dungeons that I talked about before. I wonder how open world quest decisions are reflected, like if you decide to kill someone in a quest when there are thousands of people right behind you wanting to do the same quest.

That is a ton of good information, thanks!!!

So flashpoints seems to be the repeatable instanced dungeons that I talked about before. I wonder how open world quest decisions are reflected, like if you decide to kill someone in a quest when there are thousands of people right behind you wanting to do the same quest.

Obviously the first person to do a quest destroys that quest line for everyone else in the game, and the code monkeys then have to come up with a new quest to put in it's place.

:rolleyes:

Breath of the Dying go on gametrailers or the swtor website and watch all of the videos. They really have explained almost everything that needs to be explained. Developer interviews can be found on the forums as well.

new article i found today..interview with lead designer

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255246

With that in mind, do you think you're going after MMO players or Bioware RPG fans?
Ideally, it's both - and it's sort of synergy of both. If you're someone that loves everything an MMO brings to the table, loves the community aspect, loves being able to see other people and say: 'I have better shoulder pads than you do,' everything you loved about MMOs is there for you.

But if the idea of story and context really turns you off, if what you want is the just complete Disneyland experience, where you run on the rides and repeat the stuff, this probably isn't your favourite MMO.

If you are a hardcore, traditional Bioware fan - a Mass Effect or especially Dragon Quest fan - this is the dream game. It is an RPG forever. It is an RPG that at the speed and pace that I play RPGs as a gamer, five ten hours a week, I could never finish this game.

One of the things people don't ever get around is the class stories, which go through the whole game. They don't stop.

There's other content as well, which is more built towards multiplayer with your friends. But there is no crossover between the factions.

If you play as a Bounty Hunter from the first level to the last level, and then rolled up as a smuggler, you would not see one repeated piece of content. It would be an entirely new Bioware game from start to finish - that is multiple times bigger than a Mass Effect. This game is bigger than every Bioware game we've done put together. By a long shot.

new article i found today..interview with lead designer

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255246

With that in mind, do you think you're going after MMO players or Bioware RPG fans?
Ideally, it's both - and it's sort of synergy of both. If you're someone that loves everything an MMO brings to the table, loves the community aspect, loves being able to see other people and say: 'I have better shoulder pads than you do,' everything you loved about MMOs is there for you.

But if the idea of story and context really turns you off, if what you want is the just complete Disneyland experience, where you run on the rides and repeat the stuff, this probably isn't your favourite MMO.

If you are a hardcore, traditional Bioware fan - a Mass Effect or especially Dragon Quest fan - this is the dream game. It is an RPG forever. It is an RPG that at the speed and pace that I play RPGs as a gamer, five ten hours a week, I could never finish this game.

One of the things people don't ever get around is the class stories, which go through the whole game. They don't stop.

There's other content as well, which is more built towards multiplayer with your friends. But there is no crossover between the factions.

If you play as a Bounty Hunter from the first level to the last level, and then rolled up as a smuggler, you would not see one repeated piece of content. It would be an entirely new Bioware game from start to finish - that is multiple times bigger than a Mass Effect. This game is bigger than every Bioware game we've done put together. By a long shot.

This is sounding more and more epic by the day.

Back