Star Wars: The old Republic E3 News...

Awww just a trailer, but hands-on tomorrow so we shall get alot of news tomorrow probably

Awww just a trailer, but hands-on tomorrow so we shall get alot of news tomorrow probably

Yep, hoping this is the case :D....

Ships will act as "housing", and there will be battlegrounds/scenarios (instanced PVP) with "deep reward system" ranging from aesthetics to stats/items is about all I got out of it. It was unclear if the "Warzone" PVP is instanced or not, it may be like Dark Age of Camelot's "Frontiers" where it's separate zones with capturable openworld objectives for PVP mainly/only.

Yeah this is easily my most anticipated game ever...so it better be good :( Can't wait for tomorrow.

G4 just said at 5PM tomorrow they will have an "exclusive" demo....so I just set it to record :p

If it is as good as other bioware games, it will be the official end to my social life. I'll resemble the South park kids from the WoW episode.

Meh. That was a great little short film but it doesnt tell me anything about the game. I hate it when they release a movie like that and then everyone goes apeshit saying the game will be amazing... that movie didnt have ANY information or images from the actual game. bah. whatever.

It's just for fun. There are tons of gameplay videos out there.

Seriously after watching the second trailer just give the guys who made it a bunch of money to make a movie. Even a short movie. Just epic battles it would be awesome. They definitely have skill and know what we've been wanting from Star Wars battles.

Sweet trailer, but I'm still not that interested in the game.

Ever since playing the Dawn of War series, I can't help but prefer gritty Sci-Fi over the Star Wars universe. Besides the fact that Episodes 1-3 were pretty awful...

As far as MMO's, I was into WoW for a few years and, while the gaming was great, it was all a pretty big waste of time and money. I'm more interested in the 40K MMO based on the universe and I'm hoping it'll be more action, less RPG. Auto-attacking just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Sweet trailer, but I'm still not that interested in the game.

Ever since playing the Dawn of War series, I can't help but prefer gritty Sci-Fi over the Star Wars universe. Besides the fact that Episodes 1-3 were pretty awful...

As far as MMO's, I was into WoW for a few years and, while the gaming was great, it was all a pretty big waste of time and money. I'm more interested in the 40K MMO based on the universe and I'm hoping it'll be more action, less RPG. Auto-attacking just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Have you played knights of the old republic?

Have you played knights of the old republic?

No. Honestly, I'm not a big RPG fan in general and definitely not a fan of turn-based combat. I know that very squarely places me outside of the target audience, but I'd love an action-centric MMO with RPG-lite.

I have a good friend who raves about KOTOR (he also loves DA:O, Oblivion, etc), but I just can't manage to drum up any interest in KOTOR (or the other games). Hell, I even had a tough time getting into Fallout 3 and have yet to complete it.

No. Honestly, I'm not a big RPG fan in general and definitely not a fan of turn-based combat. I know that very squarely places me outside of the target audience, but I'd love an action-centric MMO with RPG-lite.

I have a good friend who raves about KOTOR (he also loves DA:O, Oblivion, etc), but I just can't manage to drum up any interest in KOTOR (or the other games). Hell, I even had a tough time getting into Fallout 3 and have yet to complete it.

Sounds like you just need to stay with the new FPS games...doesn't sound like much else pleases you. Not being sarcastic or trying to be rude...just saying...

You know I hate to say it, but I'm extremely cynical about this. I do not have high hopes at all. The trailer looked ok but the timeline seems iffy and I notice a distinct lack of mature violence in the trailer. Hope the games not like that.

You know I hate to say it, but I'm extremely cynical about this. I do not have high hopes at all. The trailer looked ok but the timeline seems iffy and I notice a distinct lack of mature violence in the trailer. Hope the games not like that.

It's star wars, not exactly sure what you're expecting; SW has never exactly been full of gore.

What I've noticed in early gameplay trailers is the combat seems far too laggy/unpolished. Hopefully they fix that.

Sounds like you just need to stay with the new FPS games...doesn't sound like much else pleases you. Not being sarcastic or trying to be rude...just saying...

Not necessarily. I'm almost always playing RPG's. Yet RPG's with the best mechanics most closely resemble FPS's. RPG's should be taking notes from games like Mount and Blade.

In-game chat snippet regarding the new SWTOR Trailer:

[Fellowship] Gambling: that trailer was better the last 3 movies lucas made, pretty sad

Not necessarily. I'm almost always playing RPG's. Yet RPG's with the best mechanics most closely resemble FPS's. RPG's should be taking notes from games like Mount and Blade.

I'm not against a solid, fleshed out game mechanic for my rpgs, but in my experience, the best rpgs with more depth came with less of that as the devs focused on the more important aspect of the game, story, depth, and enjoyable gameplay

Think BG II

Still very satisfying to blast creatures with spells, or knock them back like God made flesh like they were toys flicked with your finger, but the depth and epicness was simply not matched by more action oriented games.

Now if they could bring in more advanced mechanics AND preserve that same game story depth and character development, then great.

But all action without SOLID characters like one Jon Irenicus = a lifeless game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk0sOGVSAP4

now THAT was great to watch, even without flash, an arrogant power mad, embittered mage. Not some mindless stick swinger or gunslinger (you fpsers !!!!), finally a villain with REAL power !!!!!

God I loved him

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3srmh_ominous_videogames

Seriously after watching the second trailer just give the guys who made it a bunch of money to make a movie. Even a short movie. Just epic battles it would be awesome. They definitely have skill and know what we've been wanting from Star Wars battles.

They do a better action scene in CG than George Lucas.

They do a better action scene in CG than George Lucas.

Anytime I watch the prequels I'm just sad. It could've been so much more. The problem is pretty clear. There needed to be more action, and Lucas is not an action director.

When you compare the lightsaber fights in those cgi trailers for the old republic to the movies it's no contest. Sure some moves would be difficult with live actors, but one thing that stands out is when the cgi guys fight, they're actually trying to hit each other. Not just clash lightsabers together. Ugh. I could go on.

the hope trailer was freeking epic. if there is space combat as well this is my next mmo.

I hope gameplay has been polished for todays videos. The pre-rendered stuff looked awesome, but does not describe if the gameplay will be fun at all.

From the older videos I saw, it looks just like WoW with a Star Wars blanket pulled over it.

Awesome trailer but the game itself will have to be amazing to get me to play another MMO.

Here's some quest and combat gameplay:
Sith Warrior and Inquisitor Quest
Trooper and Smuggler Quest
Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent Quest

Some reveals of mechanics and progression:
Player Ships
Bounty Hunter Armour Progression

And here's G4TV's hands-on:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I'm definitely very excited for this game. The environments, especially Korriban in part 3 of the g4tv video pretty much floored me because of the vastness of the area. Group combat in the hands-on didn't seem very engaging from the Consular's point of view, but I think we can just blame it on the player, since Darthhater's experience was different:
Each class filled their niche in uniquely un-MMO ways. The Trooper held the attention of the larger mobs, but also appeared to do massive damage; this meat shield had spikes. The Consular did a great deal of healing but also had her lightsaber in hand, helping out with the overall damage. The Smuggler was safely hiding behind cover filling multiple rolls: including crowd control, damage, and healing. Finally, the Jedi Knight hammered down on the smaller mobs but also acted as a tank when a Sith "Lieutenant" ran around the corner, red lightsaber in hand. Each class appeared to fill not only a primary roll in the group, but also a secondary roll, making the combat appear versatile and dynamic.

I believe IGN will also be showing off a 30 minute hands on later today.

I still dont see how this is any different from other MMO. Yes, it looks good and pretty fun, but it doesnt seem like it brings anything new.

Voiceovers- yes thats cool, and it's hard to sell story in an MMO without seeing it all in action but that doesnt sell it for me. With such a heavy emphasis on story, what does this say for endgame? In story-driven games, can you repeat quests or dungeons?

Combat - same MMO mechanics: DPS, Healer, Tank roles. My days in WoW (stopped near end of Burning Crusade) allowed me to to experience all 3 roles with a single class (My main was a Paladin). I enjoy the variety of roles, but throwing out buzzwords like sub-classes and specializations is a smokescreen because nothing new is brought to the table.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks like fun and I'll probably pick it up with all my gamer friends. I'm just sick and tired of hearing all the bullshit that this game is some revolutionary MMO that puts it above the rest.

I still dont see how this is any different from other MMO. Yes, it looks good and pretty fun, but it doesnt seem like it brings anything new.

Voiceovers- yes thats cool, and it's hard to sell story in an MMO without seeing it all in action but that doesnt sell it for me. With such a heavy emphasis on story, what does this say for endgame? In story-driven games, can you repeat quests or dungeons?

Combat - same MMO mechanics: DPS, Healer, Tank roles. My days in WoW (stopped near end of Burning Crusade) allowed me to to experience all 3 roles with a single class (My main was a Paladin). I enjoy the variety of roles, but throwing out buzzwords like sub-classes and specializations is a smokescreen because nothing new is brought to the table.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks like fun and I'll probably pick it up with all my gamer friends. I'm just sick and tired of hearing all the bullshit that this game is some revolutionary MMO that puts it above the rest.

I'm not going to even respond to that with an explanation. Just go play kotor, now picture that with better graphics and multiplayer. THEN you will understand why everyone is making a big deal out of this. You think this is not revolutionary just because the class system is nothing new? How about being fully voiced? How about having a story that changes based on decisions you make? How about having quests that actually play out differently based on what classes of people you have with you? Good god man do they need to solve the meaning of life to be considered revolutionary to you?

Fully voiced over is awesome and often enhances overall experience, but it does nothing to gameplay mechanics. I'm not sold on a game because its fully voiced over.

Kotor I and II was badass, the choices were fun and the combat was awesome. But simply improving the graphics and adding multiplayer support will not keep me coming back. How will the story work with events? Can you only do a quest once? How does joining up in a party affect questing? Does everyone have to be on the same quest? What if party members want to make different decisions? What is there to do (PvE wise) after all the quests are finished? Story is great but I dont see how it works in the MMO genre when every other player can make different decisions on the same quest. If everyone gets to choose their own story, it seems to undermine that you're part of this universe that you can affect. If they can pull it off, awesome, but I've heard nothing about the big picture.

Like I said, it still looks fun and probably a day one purchase, but if they want me to keep playing a monthly subscription then they're going to have to deliver more than what I've seen. Games dont to have to be revolutionary to be good nor are all revolutionary games good. The following behind Star Wars is so big that this might even be the "WoW killer", but it still hasn't convinced me its anything different that other MMO's

I'm not going to even respond to that with an explanation. Just go play kotor, now picture that with better graphics and multiplayer. THEN you will understand why everyone is making a big deal out of this. You think this is not revolutionary just because the class system is nothing new? How about being fully voiced? How about having a story that changes based on decisions you make? How about having quests that actually play out differently based on what classes of people you have with you? Good god man do they need to solve the meaning of life to be considered revolutionary to you?

"Films starring Morgan Freeman would have you believe that hope is your magical shield against the tribulations of life but the games industry has collectively taken that shield and shoved it up our ass so many times that its probably time we started leaving it at home."

I wanna believe it. I truly do. But I've been bit in the ass over the last 5 years by too many MMOs to name that were all touted and hyped to be so innovative and great and they ultimately all proved to be nothing special. Nothing special at all. And I have trouble buying that this one will be any different.

I'm not against a solid, fleshed out game mechanic for my rpgs, but in my experience, the best rpgs with more depth came with less of that as the devs focused on the more important aspect of the game, story, depth, and enjoyable gameplay

Think BG II

Still very satisfying to blast creatures with spells, or knock them back like God made flesh like they were toys flicked with your finger, but the depth and epicness was simply not matched by more action oriented games.

Now if they could bring in more advanced mechanics AND preserve that same game story depth and character development, then great.

But all action without SOLID characters like one Jon Irenicus = a lifeless game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk0sOGVSAP4

now THAT was great to watch, even without flash, an arrogant power mad, embittered mage. Not some mindless stick swinger or gunslinger (you fpsers !!!!), finally a villain with REAL power !!!!!

God I loved him

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3srmh_ominous_videogames

Well yes, RPG's must have characters with life. Totally agree with anything you said. BG2 was epic because of those things you mentioned, but not because of it's D&D ruleset. Now days it's just about as much effort getting permission from Wizards of the Coast to do this or that, and making a game follow D&D rules, as it would be making an RPG that is well suited for a 3D environment. D&D is great for the days of tabletop and 2D. A lot more can be done without systems made for 2D and tabletop, and it shouldn't cost too much extra effort now. I really loved NWN2, the latest in D&D that I've played. But really, with technology these days, we can afford to have better mechanics better suited to 3D environments with physics.

Back