Star Wars "The Last Jedi" Trailer

So many haters on [H] over a teaser. Let's take a deep breath, the last film far exceeded what most anyone expected.

And can we stop with the SJW/PC crap. Who cares that there was/is a woman in the lead role and (OMG) a black storm trooper as the main supporting. Honestly.

Those of you saying "Luke narrates the whole thing" need to listen again.

The voice at the beginning is definitely Mark Hammil, but the voice at the end didn't sound like him. So I don't think its "Luke" saying he wants the Jedi to end guys.

It switches over to Kylo Ren at some point as far as I can tell.

So many haters on [H] over a teaser. Let's take a deep breath, the last film far exceeded what most anyone expected.

And can we stop with the SJW/PC crap. Who cares that there was/is a woman in the lead role and (OMG) a black storm trooper as the main supporting. Honestly.

Has nothing to do with that. Frankly, no one was saying SW = SJW other than the fringe over Episode 7. It wasn't until the people in charge of Rogue One were coming out with rebel logos with safety pins and equating the rebel alliance to modern left wing politics that people pushed back against SJW/PC crap in Star Wars.

I hate that Hollywood can't be original. There was some movie back in the 70s that had Jedi in the name where people had glowing swords.

What? Nobody on here is saying anything like that. And is there anyone that isn't absolute jackass that is mad about either of those things? I don't like the direction Disney has taken the franchise. It has nothing to do with gender or race, I just thought the Force Awakens was bland as hell, pretty much matching my expectations, not exceeding them. Despite Ridley's great performance as Rey, it felt like watching A New Hope with more lens flare and a lot less heart. Star Wars was cinematic magic, and tFA was just... A movie.

George Lucas and Disney killed Star Wars for me. Haven't seen any of the new ones, only watched the prequels cause lol backstory and jedi fights, but the stories behind them were lame. Lucas got rich, fat, lazy, and did nothing with the franchise. Im pissed at disney because once they grabbed hold of the franchise, they completely shit all over the fanbase, and many of the things that had been accepted as cannon in the star wars universe were simply tossed out. Particularly their decision to completely ignore the books written by Timothy Zahn, which were amazing and would have made amazing movies.

Good villains make books and shows worthwhile, cause heroes always tend to be lame and one-sided mary sues. Grand Admiral Thrawn was an amazing villain. Relentless, Intelligent, cutthroat, no force abilities, and he was blue. Disney is biased against blue people apparently. They are also biased against villains that never really meet or confront the main protagonist. Disney movies, hero always defeats the bad guy. Thrawn doesn't get offed by the hero-protagonist mary sue untouchable one. Nope, his own actions catch up to him one day, and he is in awe as it happens. His death was "artistic". Thrawn was a great villain that should have made the big screen. He made Palpapatine look like a chump and he did it without jedi powers. That's why the Zahn books were dubbed the "Thawn trilogy". Thrawn deserved to be the villian, not some cut and paste villain that is relevant to current societal issues and political correctness. Haven't seen the newest ones, know very little about them, and unless they get put on netflix or amazon prime I may never see them.

Now Im don't with that rant, and thinking about awesome villians... Netflix has an anime called "Ajin". Protagonist is kind of lame, but better than your usually insert-here anime hero. The animation is kinda lackluster as its that new cgi stuff. The main antagonist is where this show truly shines... Sato is a beast! He makes the show worth watching. The man with the hat is a total bad ass. So much so, that I am going to re-watch an episode where he does some serious ass whooping.

I just want a Yoda movie. What will it take to get a Yoda movie? You always felt throughout the series that there was some implied potential regarding Yoda that you never saw unleashed. They took him down such a disappointing road, especially the prequels.

What? Nobody on here is saying anything like that. And is there anyone that isn't absolute jackass that is mad about either of those things? I don't like the direction Disney has taken the franchise. It has nothing to do with gender or race, I just thought the Force Awakens was bland as hell, pretty much matching my expectations, not exceeding them. Despite Ridley's great performance as Rey, it felt like watching A New Hope with more lens flare and a lot less heart. Star Wars was cinematic magic, and tFA was just... A movie.
You must not be on here often...

Has nothing to do with that. Frankly, no one was saying SW = SJW other than the fringe over Episode 7. It wasn't until the people in charge of Rogue One were coming out with rebel logos with safety pins and equating the rebel alliance to modern left wing politics that people pushed back against SJW/PC crap in Star Wars.
oh c'mon man. Must be a shit ton of fringe then.

Saw Star Wars aged 6 in 1977.

Have to say now I'm 46 I'm not quite so excited.

Wow, could they have made it any more obscure?

That trailer's a whole lot of nothing!
Because they don't need to show anything. The name enough will sell anything attached to it.
I agree it showed nothing, and it doesn't make me excited one bit for this. If anything it slightly lowered my interest.
I think VII was terrible and while Rogue One was indeed good, I'm still pessimistic. It's like they're not continuing the story but re-hashing it, with discount darth vader, discount empire, and now it seems discount yoda on discount dagobah.

Rogue One had a lot of the original magic. I had the opportunity to watch both TFA and Rogue One recently and hadn't had the plots spoiled for either. (Yes I stay sheltered from pop culture). Aside from a couple of moments near the end I greatly enjoyed it. I hated all 3 of the prequels TFA wasn't terrible but it had several pacing and immersion breaking moments when things happened in rapid succession that didn't make a damn bit of sense even in the loosest sci-fi "anything goes" mentality. Kind of wrecked it for me. Too much JJ Action and not enough oversight of what was going on.

Well, Luke is neither light or dark so the end of the Jedi wouldn't really mean anything to him, same with Yoda I believe.

Those of you saying "Luke narrates the whole thing" need to listen again.

The voice at the beginning is definitely Mark Hammil, but the voice at the end didn't sound like him. So I don't think its "Luke" saying he wants the Jedi to end guys.

Edit:

Out of curiosity, I did a side by side, and can confirm that the voice at the end is SNOKE'S, not Luke's, although it sounds like him in person, and not in hologram form.

You can literally see Luke saying the words at the end of the trailer. Or at least the last part of the phrase.

After the last one, I will probably not waste my time going to the theater to watch it. To me, it was a copy of the story line from Episode IV. It felt more like a reboot than an continuation of the story. On top of that, none of the characters were even remotely memorable to me. The only reason I remember Kylo Rynn (probably spelled wrong) is because of that Saturday Nigh Live skit where they parodied Undercover Boss.
I heard Rogue One was good and I plan to watch it when it becomes available to Rent on Amazon, but I heard from the same people how much they liked Force Awakens.
Unless The Last Jedi does anything to further the story, I'm probably going to stop paying much attention to this franchise.
I agree with you about TFA, thought it was episode 4 redone, and I LOVED Rogue One...just watched it this weekend. The story runs kind of parallel and kind of episode 3.5. Plus, what happened at the end surprised me.

It's the internet, a place where people how express how much they don't like things other people like.

I personally liked the trailer. Looks like another excellent production.

the trailer gave me goose bumps. oh and it is a trailer, its over 2 minutes long and has footage from the film.

Well, seeing as they ripped every major plot point from A New Hope in Force Awakens, I can only guess this will be more of the same.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I just give a big ol' eye roll every time someone mentions how amazing TFA was/is.

Not. A. Trailer.

Teaser.

We have teasers for teasers these days. Announcements for a teaser for a trailer for a movie. Trailer, teaser - they're all the same anymore. The movie industry fucked that one up...

Well, seeing as they ripped every major plot point from A New Hope in Force Awakens, I can only guess this will be more of the same.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I just give a big ol' eye roll every time someone mentions how amazing TFA was/is.

You have a piece of technology that can destroy planets and put fear into people so you can rule them. Rebels destroy it. Do you - A? Rebuild so you can have that menacing, very destructive weapon and rule the galaxy? B? Say fuck it, it's not worth it and throw away the technology.

Death Star 1 & 2 were bad ass. Death Star 3 was even more so. I'd be more disappointed if they didn't have a huge death weapon. There were some similarities, but it was a damn good movie.

Death Star 1 & 2 were bad ass. Death Star 3 was even more so. I'd be more disappointed if they didn't have a huge death weapon. There were some similarities, but it was a damn good movie.

Rehashing the same "planet killer" trope for 3 movies (4, if you count Rogue One) is far too much for me, personally.

TFA even has an almost identical shot-for-shot of Poe miraculously treading turret fire in a narrow trench to the "ultra secret weak spot that, when destroyed, causes the destruction of the entire facility".

It's decent popcorn-movie watching, but holy fuck do people praise it.

All of this to say; I'm still going to watch The Last Jedi and probably like it. I'm a huge Star Wars fan. But it's going to irk me.

It'll be interesting if Luke is some kind of grey Jedi. Some of my favorite Star Wars characters are Jolee Bindo from KOTOR and Kreia from KOTOR II.

I'm so tired of this argument. Other than Death Star 3.0 there's really not a whole lot in common between the two films. I guess you can say that Han mirrored Obi-Wan, but the old sage who guides the hero is one of the oldest character types in storytelling. There's a desert planet, but there's desert planets in most Star Wars movies and I don't remember aboreal or snow planets in ANH.

If anything the setup feels a lot like KOTOR I & II, a weak Republic being invaded by a darkside-influenced military junta that's been gathering strength beyond known space. Seems like Rey may have some kind of force connection with Kylo Ren, similar to the force connections in KOTOR as well. I can't wait to see where things go in Episodes VIII and IX.

TFA even has an almost identical shot-for-shot of Poe miraculously treading turret fire in a narrow trench to the "ultra secret weak spot that, when destroyed, causes the destruction of the entire facility".

'Shot for shot?' What are you talking about? The short 'trench run' under the turrets was obviously an homage to Episode IV, but in this case the 'super secret weak spot' was just the suspected obvious weak point in the system (if anything is going to blow up, its presumably the giant building where they store all that planet killing energy, right?).

Every single Star Wars thread has these weird nit picky arguments. Seems like a lot of it is either fanboys who are butthurt about the expanded universe being thrown out (good riddance, the successor to the emperor was a Smurf and aliens invade... it was terribad) or they're conservative 'SJWs' who think they're somehow getting revenge on liberal 'SJWs' by trolling every star wars thread in existence. Then they become memes and get passed around.

Last edited:
It's no secret the two movies have striking similarities.

Which is rather different from what you said:

I feel like I'm arguing with Heatlessun about Windows 10.

We have teasers for teasers these days. Announcements for a teaser for a trailer for a movie. Trailer, teaser - they're all the same anymore. The movie industry fucked that one up...

Don't you know anything? Teasers are to announce a new movie. Trailers are for giving away every significant plot detail.

We're going back to Shakespearean times when they would give away the ending at the very start of the play.

You can literally see Luke saying the words at the end of the trailer. Or at least the last part of the phrase.

I LITERALLY SAW LUKE!!! ... standing in a darkened doorway where you can't see shit about his face or mouth.

Try again. It's not the first time a trailer has done stuff like this for dramatic effect, and again, the voices do not match. The end voice DOES match Snoke, pre audio processing however.

Don't you know anything? Teasers are to announce a new movie. Trailers are for giving away every significant plot detail.

We're going back to Shakespearean times when they would give away the ending at the very start of the play.

I don't know what I know anymore. Studios are releasing teasers for the teaser for the trailer. So, the picture announcement for the 10 second teaser for the 2:30 long teaser for the 4:00 long trailer... I'm confused.

The studios care grasping at straws and trying to get as much attention to their movie as possible. "TOMORROW! See the exclusive 10 second clip of the upcoming teaser for the movie!". The teasers and trailers are the main event and after watching those, you already know the major plot points, the twists, the surprises within the movie, so the movie is less climatic. Some are very good. Vague with what's in the trailer so the movie has more impact.

Woof, looks like a white flag to me. People can dislike parts of Star Wars movies, who knew? o_O

Even my recent 10/10 movie (Logan) had a couple parts that weren't perfect. I'd be nitpicking, though.

Star Wars is a damn good franchise. I love it. It's not perfect. There are some things that are downright stupid.

I hated the Ewoks, my sister loves them....

Of course, how dare you, sir. How dare you for not liking what I like. While I may disagree with you, I'm glad that people can have different opinions. That way we don't get more Twilight movies.

I LITERALLY SAW LUKE!!! ... standing in a darkened doorway where you can't see shit about his face or mouth.

Try again. It's not the first time a trailer has done stuff like this for dramatic effect, and again, the voices do not match. The end voice DOES match Snoke, pre audio processing however.

Im curious as to how you can match the voice over to anyone? Did you run a spectrum analyzer for this to do the match or just going off of what you think you hear? I don't know either way, im just curious on how you have come to this conclusion?

Im curious as to how you can match the voice over to anyone? Did you run a spectrum analyzer for this to do the match or just going off of what you think you hear? I don't know either way, im just curious on how you have come to this conclusion?

And it's not like Mark Hamill is one of the most prolific voice actors in the business or anything, so surely all of his spoken lines would sound exactly alike.

that was luke at the end of the trailer. sounds just like Hamill's normal voice.

edit:and heres a quote aboot it
"Responding in particular to the shocking moment in the ‘Last Jedi’ trailer when Luke says it’s time to “end the Jedi”, Mark revealed: “It was as shocking for me to read what Rian had written as I’m sure it will be for the audience.”
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainm...st-jedi-plot/ar-BBA4Zsf?li=AAacUQk&ocid=ientp
spoilered it for KG

Last edited:
I have avoided ALL SW trailers ( including this one, didn't even look at the first post ) since Disney acquired the franchise, and it wasn't easy, i hate spoilers in general really, but in particular for something like this where i've been a fan for 40 years i didn't want to know anything! I wanted it to be a total surprise. I have to say it is so worth it. I had No clue as to what any of these movies were to be about at all. Well i was unable to avoid the fact that obviously Luke Leia Han and Chewbacca would be in some of them, but that was it. The last one i waited until it had been out for awhile, still avoided all media on it. Went to see it at first showing at noon, and i had the theatre all to myself. When i saw the back of Tarkins head in the last one, i was like, no way..what? Who is the actor? Omg it's CG, lol but the CG was done so well. See i didn't even know that it was a prequel to New Hope, and i still didn't quite realize it was basically a direct lead in to it until the final shot in which i think i peed myself a little. But yeah i'm so glad i have avoided trailers ect. It's so much more worth it.

Back