Star Wars: The Force Awakens VFX Breakdown

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are a Star Wars fan and like to see how digital effects are made, check out this ten minute visual effects breakdown of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The video contains spoilers so, if you haven't seen the movie, you might not want to watch this.

It's been a month. If you haven't seen it by now you either don't care about the movie or it's been fully spoiled for you already.

I had already watched it, but I was listening to a JJ Abrams interview. One of the questions was something like "You did some things in the movie that were big, like killing off Han Solo. ....". If I hadn't watched the film, I'd be pissed. Spoiler alert that shit, bitch!

But, it's been a month. I think it's been long enough. Like you said - if you haven't seen it yet, you've been spoiled already or have little interest in it anyway and it's not going to matter.

Vader is Luke's father.

Han is the father of the nephew of the brother of the daughter of Kylo's Grandpa :D:D

Vimeo has removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by Irdeto as an agent for Disney claiming that this material is infringing: Star Wars: The Force Awakens - VFX Breakdown

Thats alot of blue and green screens. I thought back in the original movies they built a entire millenium falcon

Thats alot of blue and green screens. I thought back in the original movies they built a entire millenium falcon

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/millennium-falcon-star-wars-force-awakens/

"While J.J. Abrams won’t be utilizing models in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, a life-size Millennium Falcon was built on the England set of the movie for some added realism, while the interiors will all of course also be practical."

Looks like they built one for ep VII as well.

Unfortunately the movie industry is moving away from practical real-world special effects nowadays and it's a horrible thing, really. I saw "The Hateful Eight" recently and there's basically no CGI at all in it, all the shooting and blood effects were real-world practical done the old school way and I have a great appreciate for that.

Knowing that something like SW:TFA was done with so many digital effects, basically a movie done in a green screen environment for practically 95% of the shots done, is what I'd call a travesty but whatever. They could have spent twice the budget on it and done everything with real-world effects (and gave a lot of people work in doing so) and still made a metric fuckton of cash like they've already done and not lose a dime but no, digital is where things are going.

I saw it last week and wasn't impressed - I had some emotions when the original trilogy cast members came onscreen as I'm sure many people did, but as for the newer people, nope, not one tear or whimper at all for any of 'em. It was too rushed IMO, moved along way too fast, and Kylo is just a punk. If they hadn't put him in the mask, I'd be ok with things, but having him in a mask when there's no justification for it aside from (potentially) scaring his enemies - "Oooo, look at the bad man in the mask, it is a mystery..." - and then having him remove it not once but twice so we can see the actor himself undamaged well, it's just stupid to me to have the mask in the movie at all.

I saw Star Wars on the day of release in 1977, saw Empire on its day of release in 1980, and then Return on its day of release in 1983 and I have very fond memories of those experiences as well as multiple viewings after the initial one. Didn't give a shit about the prequels, they came along much too late for me in terms of the time gap, didn't add anything to the story and just proved disappointing to me overall. Now with TFA I'm probably not even going to care about the future movies and offshoots.

The original theatrical trilogy is what holds a place in my heart, not the edits, not the prequels, and not the new stuff coming down the pike it seems.

Ah, well, at least I have memories. ;)

One of the biggest shocks in the movie is how much abuse the millennium falcon was able to take. Are all of Star Wars ships built like that?!

I thought the cockpit was the weakest part of the chip, but it got dragged through the ground and didn't even crack the glass.

Actually I thought one of the marketing talking points for this movie is that they used more practical effects and less cgi than they could have.

One of the biggest shocks in the movie is how much abuse the millennium falcon was able to take. Are all of Star Wars ships built like that?!

I thought the cockpit was the weakest part of the chip, but it got dragged through the ground and didn't even crack the glass.

Its a spaceship. It has to be able to withstand extreme pressure temperature changes as well as take a few blaster hits even when the shields are down. Remember in episode V it got hit by asteroids twice. Lightly but hard enough to shake the whole ship. They are sturdy stuff.

Unfortunately the movie industry is moving away from practical real-world special effects nowadays and it's a horrible thing, really. I saw "The Hateful Eight" recently and there's basically no CGI at all in it, all the shooting and blood effects were real-world practical done the old school way and I have a great appreciate for that.

Knowing that something like SW:TFA was done with so many digital effects, basically a movie done in a green screen environment for practically 95% of the shots done, is what I'd call a travesty but whatever. They could have spent twice the budget on it and done everything with real-world effects (and gave a lot of people work in doing so) and still made a metric fuckton of cash like they've already done and not lose a dime but no, digital is where things are going.

I saw it last week and wasn't impressed - I had some emotions when the original trilogy cast members came onscreen as I'm sure many people did, but as for the newer people, nope, not one tear or whimper at all for any of 'em. It was too rushed IMO, moved along way too fast, and Kylo is just a punk. If they hadn't put him in the mask, I'd be ok with things, but having him in a mask when there's no justification for it aside from (potentially) scaring his enemies - "Oooo, look at the bad man in the mask, it is a mystery..." - and then having him remove it not once but twice so we can see the actor himself undamaged well, it's just stupid to me to have the mask in the movie at all.

I saw Star Wars on the day of release in 1977, saw Empire on its day of release in 1980, and then Return on its day of release in 1983 and I have very fond memories of those experiences as well as multiple viewings after the initial one. Didn't give a shit about the prequels, they came along much too late for me in terms of the time gap, didn't add anything to the story and just proved disappointing to me overall. Now with TFA I'm probably not even going to care about the future movies and offshoots.

The original theatrical trilogy is what holds a place in my heart, not the edits, not the prequels, and not the new stuff coming down the pike it seems.

Ah, well, at least I have memories. ;)

I know, right? Cuz in the original trilogy, it was all actually shot in space. :rolleyes:

As far as Ren's mask, I guess you missed the part where he's trying to be like Darth Vader. I recommend you see the film again, but this time pay attention.

Character CGI was glaringly awful. Especially the troll at the 4:00 mark. She stood out as awful when I saw the movie, annoyingly so.

Wow! This video was cool to see but holy mama spoiler alert. :eek:

There are only 4 Star Wars (IV, VI,V) movies in my mind and the latest was the 4th. The 4th is strong with me... I really enjoyed it and Tiberian may just be getting too old for this stuff. ;) However, I do agree with him on not liking too much CGI. This day and age with sci fi it's going to happen and with that being said I think they did a wonderful job with it. It was a great introduction back into the universe for me and I hope more awesome to come in the next few.

Booo..

image.png

I thought they were going to use a lot more practical effects this time around versus CGI...

Back