Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake

Probably. I'd be surprised if it was a PS5 exclusive. Especially given that Aspyr is handling it.
It just says: "A legend remade for PS5". That would seem to indicate it's a PS5 exclusive, at least initially. When these things are intended to be multiplatform they usually have all the PS5, XBOX, PC logos all over the last few frames of the video. We don't see that here.

I never played this so I'd be very interested. It is made by Bioware, so is it more like Mass Effect/Dues Ex or more like stat based RPGs?

And I think this will be a timed exclusive. Can't imagine a studio letting a Star Wars title be single platform.

It just says: "A legend remade for PS5". That would seem to indicate it's a PS5 exclusive, at least initially. When these things are intended to be multiplatform they usually have all the PS5, XBOX, PC logos all over the last few frames of the video. We don't see that here.

It's a trailer from the Playstation Showcase.

I never played this so I'd be very interested. It is made by Bioware, so is it more like Mass Effect/Dues Ex or more like stat based RPGs?

And I think this will be a timed exclusive. Can't imagine a studio letting a Star Wars title be single platform.
The remake is NOT being made by BioWare. The developer also said it wouldn't be the same game with updated graphics. The original one only had sort of real time combat. You could pause it and it was kind of a turn based thing. You'd sort of choose your actions and then let it roll and see what happened. You didn't engage in combat the way you would in most modern games. You did have some ability to do that, but often you'd queue actions up and then run through those, then interfere as necessary. It's kind of hard to explain. However, the traditional BioWare dialog conversation system is more or less what the game had initially. It was one of the first, if not the first RPG of its type where you could control your alignment and conversation choices.

However, it wasn't the dialog wheel. It was an ordered list with the main character having no voice. Only the people you talked to had an actual voice. The thing is, the game mechanics really haven't aged well. So this is likely a very different game following along with the basic storyline and premise of the original.

all the cross platform titles that they showed off today didn't have PC logos even though they are confirmed as being multi-platform (Forspoken, Alan Wake Remastered, Ghostwire: Tokyo etc)

Last edited:
Aspyr Media is making it, who is owned by Saber Interactive. They don't have a lot of exclusive titles under their belt. Unless there is a deal with Sony in place I don't think this will only be on PS5. The PlayStation Showcase often has a habit of not promoting other platforms for the multiplats they show.

You guys know I know nothing about console crap right? I don't watch Playstation Showcase or whatever that is. Hopefully, this is a multiplatform release and the PC version isn't hot garbage.

I am not sure how you came to this conclusion based on the first part I quoted.

Console exclusive's, generally, aren't "real" exclusive. EX: Microsoft first-party titles are "console exclusive" even though they're also on PC day-and-date.

The game industry has a lot ways to get around saying "you will be able to buy this other places".

all the cross platform titles that they showed off today didn't have PC logos even though they are confirmed as being multi-platform (Forsaken being 1 example)
Except for the Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy remakes. They highlited that those are for PS5 and PC.

Lucasfilm says the game is coming to PC. Doesn't say if it's after an exclusivity period, though. Might be the same deal as the Deathloop exclusivity.

https://twitter.com/LucasfilmGames/status/1436066933032439824
1631224493118.png

Lucasfilm says the game is coming to PC. Doesn't say if it's after an exclusivity period, though. Might be the same deal as the Deathloop exclusivity

there's no exclusivity deal with Deathloop in regards to PC...the PC version is coming out the same day as PS5...the Xbox version comes out later...

as long as it's updated graphics, control schemes and maybe a little cut content restored here and there, i'm here for it. i've specifically been holding off on a replay for like 8 years now hoping for a remake or rerelease of some kind, lol.

as long as it's updated graphics, control schemes and maybe a little cut content restored here and there, i'm here for it. i've specifically been holding off on a replay for like 8 years now hoping for a remake or rerelease of some kind, lol.
I'm thinking the game will be considerably different than that given the combat system isn't supposed to resemble the one in the original game at all. What I'm hoping for are entirely new visuals but basically the same game with an entirely new combat system and updated BioWare dialog wheel and a fully voiced protagonist.

which comes out first, this or Elder Scrolls 6? :D

doesn't Aspyr mostly do remasters?...can they handle a game of this scope and with such high expectations?

One of the last truly excellent RPGs to come out of Bioware before they went full EA. I don't usually replay games I have already finished, but will seriously consider doing so in this case.

I'm thinking the game will be considerably different than that given the combat system isn't supposed to resemble the one in the original game at all. What I'm hoping for are entirely new visuals but basically the same game with an entirely new combat system and updated BioWare dialog wheel and a fully voiced protagonist.

Eww, keep the dialog wheel the hell away from KOTOR. The dialog wheel ONLY works in games specifically designed around it's strengths and weaknesses (see: Mass Effect vs the abysmal version in FO4). KOTOR's script would be butchered by being forced to use it. The wheel is far too limited and would require cutting a ton of dialog. I don't think that trade-off is worth it to have a fully voice protag.

I remember reading an article a while back saying combat would be updated to be more like an action RPG and the story would incorporate elements from the first two games. Found the old article: https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2021/05/star-wars-kotor-game-remake-action-rpg.html

Jason Schreier, who has been one of the most consistent voices about the existence of a new Star Wars RPG in development from Aspyr Media (who developed ports of the two KOTOR games), recently went on the MinnMax podcast to discuss a handful of topics about the gaming industry. When jokingly asked about more news on the Knights of the Old Republic game that he has alluded to, Schreier reiterated that the game was, in actuality, a thing – and he used the term “remake” to describe the project, which has been said to utilize concepts from both the original game and Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

MrMattyPlays, who claims that three sources verified with him that Aspyr was the studio involved with the game, indicates that he’s heard rumors that the company will be adjusting the combat in the remake, making it move away from the real-time “cue” system (inspired by turn-based combat in older RPGs) of the original two titles and make an Action RPG. He also notes that the story for the new title will feature elements from the two single-player RPGs (with no word on if elements from the MMORPG spin-off will be included)

Obviously take that with a gain of salt but doesn't sound too far fetched.

Eww, keep the dialog wheel the hell away from KOTOR. The dialog wheel ONLY works in games specifically designed around it's strengths and weaknesses (see: Mass Effect vs the abysmal version in FO4). KOTOR's script would be butchered by being forced to use it. The wheel is far too limited and would require cutting a ton of dialog. I don't think that trade-off is worth it to have a fully voice protag.
No, it wouldn't. You can have upwards of six options via the dialog wheel as seen in Mass Effect Andromeda.

I'm up for new visuals and new combat system but I'm more than happy if they leave the rest alone. I don't even care about not having the protagonist fully voiced.

I'd also love to see additional content added which was cut from the original games. KOTOR didn't feel like the mess KOTOR 2 was regarding cuts but it definitely felt shorter than it should have been and also felt rushed the second half or so. KOTOR 2 could use a lot of work to fix the obvious and numerous cuts from the game. I'd love a lot of working going into a remake for KOTOR 2 since I liked that one more than KOTOR. KOTOR had a more coherent plot with better interactions between crew members but even with how disjointed KOTOR 2 was I still enjoyed it more and think it would have been a much better game if everything which was supposed to be in the game had made it into the game.

Hell, I'd be happy with a different combat system only. The combat system was clunky but workable to begin with but it hasn't aged well at all and it's one of the big reasons I have difficulty replaying the games anymore.

I remember reading an article a while back saying combat would be updated to be more like an action RPG and the story would incorporate elements from the first two games. Found the old article: https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2021/05/star-wars-kotor-game-remake-action-rpg.html

Obviously take that with a gain of salt but doesn't sound too far fetched.

A lot of that checks out with what Aspyr said in a little interview with Sony after the show. They were cagey on details, but did say they're doing a lot more than just visuals. Schreier is, generally, pretty accurate with his rumors.

No, it wouldn't. You can have upwards of six options via the dialog wheel as seen in Mass Effect Andromeda.

Andromeda's options were still too abstract to work without drastically altering and removing dialog for the protag. I'd vastly prefer a traditional dialog tree. I'd love it to be voiced, but if the choice is between fully voiced protag or actual RPG dialog trees I'll take the dialog trees. I just don't see a dialog wheel working without massive changes to the script. Let's not forget how meaningless a lot of options tend to be with dialog wheels. Even with Andromeda's improved system, so many "choices" were entirely artificial. KOTOR certainly had that problem as well at points, but not to the degree of dialog wheel games.

A lot of that checks out with what Aspyr said in a little interview with Sony after the show. They were cagey on details, but did say they're doing a lot more than just visuals. Schreier is, generally, pretty accurate with his rumors.

Andromeda's options were still too abstract to work without drastically altering and removing dialog for the protag. I'd vastly prefer a traditional dialog tree. I'd love it to be voiced, but if the choice is between fully voiced protag or actual RPG dialog trees I'll take the dialog trees. I just don't see a dialog wheel working without massive changes to the script. Let's not forget how meaningless a lot of options tend to be with dialog wheels. Even with Andromeda's improved system, so many "choices" were entirely artificial. KOTOR certainly had that problem as well at points, but not to the degree of dialog wheel games.
The mechanics of the dialog wheel have nothing to do with how meaningful or not the dialog is, nor does the choice of one mean you can't have a fully voiced protagonist. Also, the inclusion of the dialog wheel would not require alterations to the script. I have no idea where you came up with that. I never recalled more than six choices for dialog in the game at any time.

Last edited:
The mechanics of the dialog wheel have nothing to do with how meaningful or not the dialog is, nor does the choice of one mean you can't have a fully voiced protagonist. Also, the inclusion of the dialog wheel would not require alterations to the script. I have no idea where you came up with that. I never recalled more than six choices for dialog in the game at any time.

Look at how dialog wheels do dialog. They don’t give lines, it’s all rather abstract and doing it well does require writing dialog in a different manner from more traditional RPGs like KOTOR was. You have to strip a lot of nuance from the dialog options because the player has no idea what the character is actually going to say. KOTORs dialog already has some issues with how simple the choices can be and how cleanly everything breaks down into light, dark, or neutral options but a wheel would likely end up taking that even further. A 1-to-1 transfer of dialog from the old game to a wheel system would end up being bad. Doing it right does require changes in order to fit in with the strengths of that style of dialog system.

What I mean by meaningless dialog, is how so many of the options really didn’t matter. The “choice” was entirely artificial. All four ME games have dozens of “choices” that result in the pc saying the exact same thing, with the exact same tone, and getting the exact same response, no matter which “option” you pick on the wheel. This is both a weakness in writing, but also in the wheel system as well because sometimes there simply isn’t room for those varied responses.

If they’re going to FF7 the game and basically do a full on ground-up remake, just sticking to the core idea and characters then I’d say I could see a dialog wheel system working, as they’d already be making wide-spread script changes and they build the dialog around the wheel. If, instead, they want to keep much of the script untouched I just don’t see a wheel system working effectively.

Look at how dialog wheels do dialog. They don’t give lines, it’s all rather abstract and doing it well does require writing dialog in a different manner from more traditional RPGs like KOTOR was. You have to strip a lot of nuance from the dialog options because the player has no idea what the character is actually going to say. KOTORs dialog already has some issues with how simple the choices can be and how cleanly everything breaks down into light, dark, or neutral options but a wheel would likely end up taking that even further. A 1-to-1 transfer of dialog from the old game to a wheel system would end up being bad. Doing it right does require changes in order to fit in with the strengths of that style of dialog system.
It's not that hard for fuck's sake. The dialog options simply show you the flavor of what's said and the actual dialog spoken by the voiced protagonist can be said in full. You know, like it always has been in the rest of BioWare's games. It's not a system I've ever had a problem with. The only time it was an issue was with Mass Effect Andromeda and only because the dialog in that game is badly written. It all sounds the same because it's the slightest change in tone while always meaning the same thing. This was never an issue for Star Wars: The Old Republic. It was never an issue for any of the Mass Effect trilogy games. Enough with this.
What I mean by meaningless dialog, is how so many of the options really didn’t matter. The “choice” was entirely artificial. All four ME games have dozens of “choices” that result in the pc saying the exact same thing, with the exact same tone, and getting the exact same response, no matter which “option” you pick on the wheel. This is both a weakness in writing, but also in the wheel system as well because sometimes there simply isn’t room for those varied responses.
And you'd be wrong. I know the Mass Effect games and Star Wars the Old Republic like the back of my hand. Your criticisms are absolutely valid for Mass Effect Andromeda but not for the trilogy. You also have to temper your expectations. The overall story never changed but the flavor of the dialog and specific outcomes of specific story lines and subplots absolutely did. If you didn't get that, you weren't paying attention. Your choices also greatly impacted how people spoke to Shepard and how your Shepard was perceived by the larger galaxy. Additionally, it changed the tone of the playthrough depending on how polarized towards one extreme or the other you played it. Yes, it was an illusion to choice but the dialog and quest outcomes could vary considerably. That's not to say this remake will be done correctly. I have no way of knowing that.
If they’re going to FF7 the game and basically do a full on ground-up remake, just sticking to the core idea and characters then I’d say I could see a dialog wheel system working, as they’d already be making wide-spread script changes and they build the dialog around the wheel. If, instead, they want to keep much of the script untouched I just don’t see a wheel system working effectively.
Well you won't get your wish. This one will be infused with identity politics. I won't be buying it. The person hired to re-write the game is a rabid SJW:
https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/1436168804191531010

Now, I won't even try the game based on my own policy of letting companies know I won't buy anything with infected with identity politics. I also predict the game will be an absolute dumpster fire. Get ready for female/trans only Revan. Ugly characters not allowed to be attractive in the name of realism and half the characters making references to their sexuality, which will probably be all over the map. Out of all the people in the galaxy and the odds against it happening in reality, everyone on the Ebon Hawk will now be Gay, transsexual, or non-binary.

I'm somewhat being sarcastic, but none of the above would surprise me when you read the tweets from the intolerant jackass who is re-writing the game for "modern audiences."

It's not that hard for fuck's sake. The dialog options simply show you the flavor of what's said and the actual dialog spoken by the voiced protagonist can be said in full. You know, like it always has been in the rest of BioWare's games. It's not a system I've ever had a problem with. The only time it was an issue was with Mass Effect Andromeda and only because the dialog in that game is badly written. It all sounds the same because it's the slightest change in tone while always meaning the same thing. This was never an issue for Star Wars: The Old Republic. It was never an issue for any of the Mass Effect trilogy games. Enough with this.

And you'd be wrong. I know the Mass Effect games and Star Wars the Old Republic like the back of my hand. Your criticisms are absolutely valid for Mass Effect Andromeda but not for the trilogy. You also have to temper your expectations. The overall story never changed but the flavor of the dialog and specific outcomes of specific story lines and subplots absolutely did. If you didn't get that, you weren't paying attention. Your choices also greatly impacted how people spoke to Shepard and how your Shepard was perceived by the larger galaxy. Additionally, it changed the tone of the playthrough depending on how polarized towards one extreme or the other you played it. Yes, it was an illusion to choice but the dialog and quest outcomes could vary considerably. That's not to say this remake will be done correctly. I have no way of knowing that.

Well you won't get your wish. This one will be infused with identity politics. I won't be buying it. The person hired to re-write the game is a rabid SJW:
https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/1436168804191531010

Now, I won't even try the game based on my own policy of letting companies know I won't buy anything with infected with identity politics. I also predict the game will be an absolute dumpster fire. Get ready for female/trans only Revan. Ugly characters not allowed to be attractive in the name of realism and half the characters making references to their sexuality, which will probably be all over the map. Out of all the people in the galaxy and the odds against it happening in reality, everyone on the Ebon Hawk will now be Gay, transsexual, or non-binary.

I'm somewhat being sarcastic, but none of the above would surprise me when you read the tweets from the intolerant jackass who is re-writing the game for "modern audiences."

I'm not even going to bother engaging the anti-SJW brigade. Looking at her actual writing work she seems decent enough. Haven't read any of her comics, but her Captain Marvel stuff for the Marvel Action line seems well liked. She was the head writer on Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart which was well written for what it was. On the negative end she wrote the Turf War DLC for Spider-man and was a writer on that awful Dark Alliance game.

I'm not even going to bother engaging the anti-SJW brigade. Looking at her actual writing work she seems decent enough. Haven't read any of her comics, but her Captain Marvel stuff for the Marvel Action line seems well liked. She was the head writer on Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart which was well written for what it was. On the negative end she wrote the Turf War DLC for Spider-man and was a writer on that awful Dark Alliance game.
My point is, that when you have someone that hateful and that rabid about their political ideology rewriting a game that doesn't need it, concern seems warranted. It would have been a day one purchase for me. When I found out who was behind it, I decided not to buy it. That said, if reviews and people with similar taste in games say its good after they've had a chance to get through it, I might change my mind and buy it. Waiting for reviews would be prudent anyway. Previously though, I had been optimistic about the project. I'm far less optimistic about it now.

Personally, anyone who won't buy a game based on someones political preference is just idiotic. If that was the case, there would be numerous games I would of never bought.

Too bad we cant go back to the days where people didnt give a fuck about what someones views. Just my 0.02c

So you are saying that having an SJW writer, who makes a point of being an SJW is not cause to think that the game will be full of politics?

Personally, anyone who won't buy a game based on someones political preference is just idiotic. If that was the case, there would be numerous games I would of never bought.

Too bad we cant go back to the days where people didnt give a fuck about what someones views. Just my 0.02c
people dont care until its injected into everything, thats the point.

As long as it does not affect the product I'd agree. Except they already made a point about re-writing the game for modern audiences. Which is just code for scrubbing everything that does not line up with their politics.

people dont care until its injected into everything, thats the point.
It always has been injected into video games now for decades. It's just now for some reason people all of a sudden care lol.

Either way I either will enjoy a game or a won't. Someones political views don't concern me at all because you can believe in whatever you want.

Back