Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake

I thought Aspyr was busy trying to get KOTOR II to actually work correctly on the Switch....

from the always reliable Jason Schreier: the hotly anticipated Knights of the Old Republic remake is in serious trouble according to people familiar with the project and is indefinitely delayed...developer Aspyr abruptly fired two directors this month and told staff that the project is on pause as it tries to figure out what comes next...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-old-republic-game-paused-amid-studio-shakeup
I got hit with a paywall when I clicked the link, so here is an archive.

https://archive.ph/iV8kE
according to the article they have been working at it for 3 years and should release later this years, but according to some developpers it realisticly needs another 3 years, not surre that that timeframe works for the people fronting the money. Change the developpement to a more competent studio looks like the way to go.
Sounds good. We don't want the remake to be released in the same incomplete state that the original one was.

i'm sure you're aware of this but you're wasting your breath. they'll just say something like "we're not against diverse crews, we're against diverse crews being shoved down our throats!" as if there's a difference. they operate on a perpetual combination of fear and outrage.
And rightfully so. WOKE cancel culture is hot garbage

Hate to break this to you, but Star Wars has ALWAYS been political.
Sure it has. Nobody ever noticed it, but sure. Maybe they were all distracted by the comical trash that were the prequels, and then the rehash of VII, the miserable woke failure of VIII and the failed attempt at redemption in IX. Disney is actively trying to destroy every IP they own by injecting woke politics where they don't belong.

It sounds like it mainly has to do with poor progress being made which isn't surprising to me since I mainly know Aspyr as a studio that does ports for games made by others.

The last paragraph is the most interesting part of that article since it sounds like Embracer group might be replacing Aspyr with another studio they already brought in to outsource some of the work to. I've never heard of Saber though and the article doesn't mention their background.

It sounds like it mainly has to do with poor progress being made which isn't surprising to me since I mainly know Aspyr as a studio that does ports for games made by others.

The last paragraph is the most interesting part of that article since it sounds like Embracer group might be replacing Aspyr with another studio they already brought in to outsource some of the work to. I've never heard of Saber though and the article doesn't mention their background.
Saber is another studio that primarily works on ports, but they generally do a better job than Aspyr. Saber worked on the remastering of the Halo series in The Master Chief Collection, most notably. Their original games include World War Z and the recently released Evil Dead: The Game. Good move, in my opinion.

Hopefully they ditched the writer that wanted to re-write the story for "modern audiences." That's not so subtle code for "woke dumpster fire."
They ditched her at least 6 months ago she posted about it on twitter if I recall correctly. Now I'm not sure if they fired her or simply ended the contract because the wokification of the story was complete.

Hopefully they ditched the writer that wanted to re-write the story for "modern audiences." That's not so subtle code for "woke dumpster fire."
Sam Maggs. She (they?) works for Wizards of the Coast now.

Sam Maggs. She (they?) works for Wizards of the Coast now.

D&D 5th Edition was totally half-baked. It's clear they don't understand the game's origins, even though they added some good mechanics, they didn't keep a lot of the core game intact.

It's better than 4th Ed. but nowhere near as complete as 3rd, and not as all pure as 2nd.

Not being involved with KOTOR is a very good thing. Even at the loss of D&D.

D&D 5th Edition was totally half-baked. It's clear they don't understand the game's origins, even though they added some good mechanics, they didn't keep a lot of the core game intact.

It's better than 4th Ed. but nowhere near as complete as 3rd, and not as all pure as 2nd.

Not being involved with KOTOR is a very good thing. Even at the loss of D&D.
I know that in essence, KOTOR used D&D as a basis for it's underlying mechanics. However, there really is no need for that in a computer game. I also don't think that's the part of the game that worked given how its aged. It's story, music, atmosphere and characters were what made it what it was. Despite being vastly different from the Star Wars we all grew up with, it worked brilliantly and still felt like Star Wars. I don't think being tied to D&D mechanics in any way makes or breaks the game in a remake.

I know that in essence, KOTOR used D&D as a basis for it's underlying mechanics. However, there really is no need for that in a computer game. I also don't think that's the part of the game that worked given how its aged. It's story, music, atmosphere and characters were what made it what it was. Despite being vastly different from the Star Wars we all grew up with, it worked brilliantly and still felt like Star Wars. I don't think being tied to D&D mechanics in any way makes or breaks the game in a remake.

I'd be completely fine with a KOTOR remake as long as it was still RPG-focused; it doesn't have to be D&D-based. It was stretched pretty far from D&D, too, even in the day.

What I was saying was that if Sam Maggs worked on D&D 5th Edition, one of the weakest, worst thought-out versions of the game to-date, it's good that that noise is gone from KOTOR. Fifth Edition is what you'd get if you had to explain 3rd Edition to someone over the phone while driving to work.

My wife is pissed about this. She's been waiting for a KOTOR remake long before they even announced it. Now it sounds like the damn thing might not ever see the light of day.
Also, D&D peaked with 2nd edition. Thaco and armor class going in reverse or go to hell ;)

My wife is pissed about this. She's been waiting for a KOTOR remake long before they even announced it. Now it sounds like the damn thing might not ever see the light of day.
Also, D&D peaked with 2nd edition. Thaco and armor class going in reverse or go to hell ;)
It's probably for the best... Speaking of which, I should replay it again sometime. :D

If anything, the D&D mechanics were some of the weakest parts of KOTOR. Older D&D systems were, quite frankly, terrible for video games. I don't think there were any better options at the time, outside of BioWare making their own RPG system, but I think that's one aspect that can be thrown away in a remake. I'd still want to be a CRPG, just maybe taking cues from some of the modern games in the genre.

Troubled Star Wars Video Game Remake Shifts to New Studio

The project, formerly in development at Austin, Texas-based Aspyr Media, is now being led by one of Saber Interactive's Eastern European studios, according to a person familiar with the change who asked not to be identified because the details are private...some close to the project said they are optimistic this will lead to a better product...decision makers at Embracer and at publishers Sony Group Corp. and Walt Disney Co., both of whom have financial interests in the game, were displeased with progress under Aspyr, which ultimately led to the transition....

https://www.engadget.com/star-wars-...ke-reportedly-switches-studios-082523737.html

Last edited:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Fans Fear Remake Has Been Canceled

Fans of the classic RPG Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic are beginning to fear that the upcoming remake has potentially been canceled....back in 2021, PlayStation announced that it was collaborating with Aspyr Media to create a new iteration of BioWare's beloved Knights of the Old Republic, which was first released back in 2003...since that time, no new information on the project has come about, although multiple reports have emerged detailing development troubles behind the scenes and a potential change in studios

Now, some fans are beginning to fear the worst as a recent move by PlayStation has raised some major red flags...noticed by some on Reddit, it seems that PlayStation recently scrubbed the original announcement trailer for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from its official YouTube channel...

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/s...s-of-the-old-republic-remake-ps5-fans-cancel/

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic Remake Is No Longer In Development

The Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake is dead...at least, that’s what Giant Bomb’s Jeff Grubb had to say on Friday morning during his Game Mess Mornings show

“I just want to clear it up, this game is not being worked on right now,” Grubb said around the 57-minute mark. “Just full stop. This game is not being worked on in any way, at any studio”

during his show, Grubb also mentioned that the game may have even been moved away from Saber Interactive as well...

https://insider-gaming.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-is-dead/

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Hopefully they can get development started again.
6gDd.gif

Saber Interactive, developer of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake, will leave Embracer in a $500 million deal to become a privately owned company — the biggest move yet in Embracer's ongoing cost-cutting initiative...

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1763239504897253797

They bought all of these studios up and did nothing with them, and fired a bunch of people. Why did they ever bother? Saber Interactive has New World Interactive, the Insurgency Sandstorm developers. Hopefully NWI continues on and keeps making the Insurgency series.

They bought all of these studios up and did nothing with them, and fired a bunch of people. Why did they ever bother? Saber Interactive has New World Interactive, the Insurgency Sandstorm developers. Hopefully NWI continues on and keeps making the Insurgency series.
The CEO of Embracer Group knows nothing about games. There is an interview somewhere he said as much. They were also hoping for a cash infusion from Saudi investors that said investors backed out of, which is when the culling began.

This would be a great game for dlc cosmetic packs you could buy!!! Clown costumes with chasing rgb light lightsabers!!!

Maybe they'll be able to do something now that they're out of Embracer (Extender, Extinguisher) Group? I'm not holding my breath.

I feel confident we'll see it at some point. I mean, Duken Nukem Forever and Chinese Democracy eventually came out. I'll just hope it's not a total clusterfuck when it happens.

Back