Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

It’s closer to Sekiro than dark souls. It’s more focused on parrying than dodging.

But it’s no where near Sekiro or DS in terms of skill depth.
Can't they make a game where you don't need to worry about either parrying or dodging? I haven't played this game, but dislike that mechanic in third person action games.

Can't they make a game where you don't need to worry about either parrying or dodging? I haven't played this game, but dislike that mechanic in third person action games.
I beat the whole game with just dodges. I only used parry on 1 enemy type, the melee troopers.

You can play the game on easier modes and not worry about being a pro at parrying and just spam dodging, it'll work.

I personally enjoy the challenge of a game like Sekiro, but it's obvious this game's mechanics were made easier for a larger audience.

Those are what I tend to like. They are few and far between.
I think you may find a fair few, if you search around on steam.

Ever played this? I hear its pretty darn good. Especially after they sewed the three games together in a definitive edition.

I just returned Sekiro and got this, have not played yet. If the graphics are half decent and there is a little less of a learning curve I will be happy.

I will probably pick up Sekiro again on sale or something, for me personally it’s not worth the price of entry as I need to be able to jump in and out of it with spaces of time not playing games. I had this issue with the Batman games, good games, but kept forgetting the combos as I couldn’t play continuously.

Regarding controllers, if it is not a rts or a FPS, then I prefer an Xbox controller. I have 360 controllers but got an xbone controller for Christmas and am now using that.

I think you may find a fair few, if you search around on steam.

Ever played this? I hear its pretty darn good. Especially after they sewed the three games together in a definitive edition.
Yes, I played that. It was pretty good.

I personally liked the game. I bought it and finished it pretty quickly. The only real complaint I had was that the force powers just seemed of very limited use in battle. It felt like I was constantly running on fumes when in battle.

So I was like "it's not supposed to be Dark Souls" and then I started playing it, and turns out it's just enough like Dark Souls to piss me off, as someone who's not a fan of Dark Souls.

Why am I getting one- or two-shot by fucking trash mobs? Going against more than one enemy is just frustrating bullshit, they just chain attack you and you can't break out of it. Likewise, they have moves that seem to just track you as they are doing the animation - suddenly they will just flip around and hit you in the middle of a swing.

Then you die and have to fight back through all of them again. Great.

I first started on Jedi Master difficulty, decided that was BS, so I went down to Jedi Knight and I barely notice a difference. Enemies still seem to do roughly the same amount of damage and it's the same BS mid-animation turnarounds.

I dunno. I may not continue on with this game. You really need to have more than just "slow someone for 2 seconds" Force powers and zero ranged attacks going into the game.

EDIT: I just remembered that they were talking about the FPS being tied to parry timing...is that still true? Because I'm playing at ~144 FPS and maybe that's why it's so fucking difficult.

Last edited:
I believe block and dodge frames are tied to FPS.

I played at 60hz and it is far easier than any dark souls. You can still die, but I never felt stuck.

I guess I will have to try limiting the framerate, because it's beyond frustrating as is. Or maybe I should just get it on console, lol.

I found a boss or two difficult but nothing to bad even when not using a frame rate limiter. But to me parrying was utterly worthless. Again, probably had to do with my FPS not being locked. But I managed fine for the majority of the game. Just the final boss fight was difficult that I can recall. Without parrying it gets repetitive quickly though.

At 60fps the parry timing is relatively close to Sekiro. It's a hair more forgiving with single attacks, but you can't mash like you can in Sekiro.

Difficulty-wise, I felt the last couple of bosses were pretty challenging. No matter what you might expect - DO NOT use that ability that lets you transition from one saber to two and vice versa by holding the button. It looks super powerful and it hits a bunch, but it does almost no damage. It'll screw you over in fights where damage matters. 2 sabers = weak. I found myself using it by accident. I'd recommend not even unlocking it, or waiting until after you've beaten the game to unlock it.

Well took a dive into the game after ready good things about the game. Played it on Jedi Master and the difficulty seamed appropriate, challenging but not to a degree that i would want to uninstall the game for example (DS1 the first port on PC :whistle:). Finished the story in about 20 hours or so, with some collectibles left for grabs but not really my cup of tea. Wish the souls games would employ different difficulties but it is what it its. Anyhow, i felt the game is solid 8/10 in my book, a good foundation for things to come maybe. The story is enjoyable, gameplay is good, graphics are top notch if you put a sharpening filter on it. It does nothing spectacular, but everything is well put together enough to make me play it exclusively until i finished it.

This with the recent revamp efforts for Battlefront 2 have me interested in future SW games.

I picked this game up during the sale and I'm a few hours in and I'm really enjoying it. I was hesitant at first simply because I'm not really a fan of Dark Souls games and i heard that this game was Souls like but I'm really liking it. The cinematics are top notch.

Anyone else playing this on PS4? Seems like a better experience overall, but I have noticed quite a bit of input lag and some stuttering that isn't great.

Ok input lag nightmare! - this game is super sensitive to it. (all with my pc as per sig)

Tried an xbox 360 controller (wireless) - Lag - which means parry is broken
Tried an xbone controller bluetooth - Lag
Tried xbone controller with usb - Lag

Xbone with xbone official usb dongle - no lag

I wonder if my issues with sekiro (using the 360 controller) were due to this too?

Last edited:
I got through a fairly annoying part and then the game crashed. On PS4. :rolleyes:

Honestly the game can be pretty janky at times. Pop-in, stuttering, outright freezes, enemies clipping through walls, animations bugging out, etc.

Honestly the game can be pretty janky at times. Pop-in, stuttering, outright freezes, enemies clipping through walls, animations bugging out, etc.

I am running it on PC, I haven't had most of those issues.

I've had long respawn times (20-40 seconds), long start times (up to 60 seconds to get into game from the time the program starts on the beefy system in my sig!!!), and the input lag stuff. There has been minor stuttering here and there.

I've not yet had a crash or significant basic issue (eg game mechanics not working)

Last edited:
I got through a fairly annoying part and then the game crashed. On PS4. :rolleyes:

My experience on PC as well. I see some pop in. A bit of stuttering. No freezes, just CTDs. At first I didn't mind much but the more I played the more it annoyed me. Not the worst game ever, but it could easily use some patches and a revision of that annoying save design. Hell, just give players the option. But combine the awkward saving plus CTDing and loosing 20-30 minutes of progress is infuriating.

Game was average for me. So close and within grasp of being good had they just worked on it a bit longer. I assume they wanted to rush it out so it would come out around the time of the movie.

It would be a lot better if you could save by just pressing a button while near the meditation point. There is no reason for the game to have to play the animation for you to kneel, fade out, bring up the menu, etc. - every fucking time I want to save. It would be a huge time-saver as well.

Also I have to agree somewhat about parrying being useless. The problem is it just doesn't work half the time, even with a huge parry window. It's super easy to parry blaster shots, but for whatever reason it seems extremely finicky as to whether or not you will parry a melee attack.

As many others, I just resort to dodge-rolling around like an idiot to avoid attacks, but I kinda wish it didn't have to be that way.

It would be a lot better if you could save by just pressing a button while near the meditation point. There is no reason for the game to have to play the animation for you to kneel, fade out, bring up the menu, etc. - every fucking time I want to save. It would be a huge time-saver as well.

Also I have to agree somewhat about parrying being useless. The problem is it just doesn't work half the time, even with a huge parry window. It's super easy to parry blaster shots, but for whatever reason it seems extremely finicky as to whether or not you will parry a melee attack.

As many others, I just resort to dodge-rolling around like an idiot to avoid attacks, but I kinda wish it didn't have to be that way.

It made the gameplay too repetitive. I know parrying isn't exactly super detailed but it would've been a lot better if it was useful. Again, I didn't know about it being tied to FPS so maybe with that work around it is okay. Not sure how it works on the PS4. But constantly dodging and slashing made the game feel too monotone and play more like a generic hack and slash type of game.

Disappointing because this game was within reach of being good. Some imperfections get in the way of that and knock it down to "meh" territory. Thankfully, I found The Outer Worlds to be better than I anticipated although not a flawless game either. Between the two, I preferred Outer Worlds.

It made the gameplay too repetitive. I know parrying isn't exactly super detailed but it would've been a lot better if it was useful. Again, I didn't know about it being tied to FPS so maybe with that work around it is okay. Not sure how it works on the PS4. But constantly dodging and slashing made the game feel too monotone and play more like a generic hack and slash type of game.

Disappointing because this game was within reach of being good. Some imperfections get in the way of that and knock it down to "meh" territory. Thankfully, I found The Outer Worlds to be better than I anticipated although not a flawless game either. Between the two, I preferred Outer Worlds.

On the PS4 it's locked to 30 FPS and sometimes the melee parrying just straight up does not work. I've tried all kinds of things, I don't understand why it's so bad. Could be partially due to the input lag, but it seems like the window should be generous enough to compensate (it is for parrying blaster shots).

I'm worried that by the time they patch it (if they do), I'll have finished the game. Maybe I need to put it on hold and come back, I dunno.

The parry thing seems genuinely weird. Especially if console players are experiencing it, too.
I played at 4K/60 on my PC, but with HDR on. That introduces a little additional lag, but nothing ginormous. I played on Jedi Master difficulty.
I felt the parry timing was pretty loose. Sekiro is probably the closest thing to it for me. Jedi Order is a hair looser with the timing, but in Sekiro you can mash to compensate.
I don't think I ever felt parrying simply wasn't working right. Some fights are tough in spite of that, but I felt that it at least worked like it should.

I think input lag has quite a bit to do with it. If I mash the button a little before I think I should (which my brain really doesn't want to do) it will sometimes work. Not always, but I've been able to do it a few times consecutively against some enemies.

Just finished the game with ~95% overall completion or so. Pretty good, kept me entertained for however long. Some of the boss fights were kind of annoying, but weren't really that bad on Jedi Knight difficulty.

Parry feels off to me for sure, but I am playing at 144Hz/FPS (using Gsync, max frames 141fps etc) and am using a wired Xbox One controller which I think also introduces some input lag? Normal fights are fine but mini bosses and bosses with fast attacks are frustrating, even timing dodges for unblockable attacks is hard. I think I was on Jedi Knight and dropped it to story a few times (super lame I know), I'm decent at FPS games but haven't played any Dark Souls style games with time sensitive parrying/blocking ever.

Parry feels off to me for sure, but I am playing at 144Hz/FPS (using Gsync, max frames 141fps etc) and am using a wired Xbox One controller which I think also introduces some input lag? Normal fights are fine but mini bosses and bosses with fast attacks are frustrating, even timing dodges for unblockable attacks is hard. I think I was on Jedi Knight and dropped it to story a few times (super lame I know), I'm decent at FPS games but haven't played any Dark Souls style games with time sensitive parrying/blocking ever.

The only real option on PC is to limit your framerate to 30 or 60 FPS. The parry window on PS4 at 30 FPS is good, except for the input lag which kind of kills the ability to actually pull off a parry most of the time.

Did the wall run during the tree climb segment after you get jedi flip piss anyone else off? Have not had any issues with wall run/jump/slide segments up to now but am failing this hard haha.

Did the wall run during the tree climb segment after you get jedi flip piss anyone else off? Have not had any issues with wall run/jump/slide segments up to now but am failing this hard haha.

yep, took me like 25 tries

I don't recall that one specifically, but most of the sliding segments pissed me off. For whatever reason turning your character during the slide just felt really bad and inaccurate. With the precision they require with some of the jumps, I had to do some of those 10+ times.

I came back to the wall run segment the other night and it took another 20ish tries but I finally got it. Helped to realize you don't need to hold down the jump button and Cal will auto wall run when near walls (don't need to press jump + jump). Sliding I never had an issue with, playing with an Xbox controller helps maybe? It is kind of annoying having to adjust the camera though as you go.

Really enjoyed Dathomir, just a cool environment, level design and characters. Again I pussied out to Story Mode a few times because I want to complete the game before end of the month so I can cancel my Origin Premier account.

just landed on Ilum so I assume I am getting close to the end.

Imagine a new KOTOR game made with the quality of Fallen Order. Man that would be fun.

Back