Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

The little hitches and stuttering are really killing the game for me. Do they even test this bullshit before they release it? Digital Foundry showed even the consoles to be a stuttery mess especially the base console.

The game directly tells you that you do not need to rest in order to save your progress. If you keep resting at the meditation spots when you don't need to its kinda your fault for not paying attention when the game told you it isn't required.

The reason the game doesn't have traditional save files has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with the type of game it is. It is emulating the Soulsbourne style of gameplay and that means no traditional save files. That is also why the enemies respawn.

If you find the combat nothing but mashy turn the difficulty up. The normal difficulty is too easy, play on Jedi Master or Grand Master.

PS: If you keep getting hurt so much after resting that it makes resting worthless perhaps you need to play better and actually learn to use the systems the game provides instead of mindlessly mashing the attack buttons. Dodge and parry aren't there for no reason.
Except Dark Souls constantly saves your progress. If you save and quit and restart the game you'll be in exactly the same spot with all the progress you made up to that point. If your game crashes and and you restart the game it's the same deal. You do not need to go back to a bonfire or reach a predetermined checkpoint to trigger an autosave. So this is a false equivalence. The developers just arbitrarily decided to limit save options in this game to make it seem like it's harder than it really is. Artificial difficulty is always a sign of poor design.

Except Dark Souls constantly saves your progress. If you save and quit and restart the game you'll be in exactly the same spot with all the progress you made up to that point. If your game crashes and and you restart the game it's the same deal. You do not need to go back to a bonfire or reach a predetermined checkpoint to trigger an autosave. So this is a false equivalence. The developers just arbitrarily decided to limit save options in this game to make it seem like it's harder than it really is. Artificial difficulty is always a sign of poor design.

This game auto saves after major battles. You don’t need to use the campfires in this game if you don’t want to.

As Mchart said, the game auto-saves at points like Dark Souls and others. I'm not going to disagree on it being artificial difficulty, I think the same thing about all Soulsbourne style games, but it's a trapping of the sub-genre at this point. Fallen Order doesn't have a traditional save system because it's trying to be Soulsbourne, including the instances of artificial difficulty that comes with those games.

huh. theres a rope to reach that chest at 6:45. i jumped straight down from above and then double jumped up into the blade... way harder.

also i dont recognize the slide at 7:50 at all. hmmm

This game is high production value everything looks great with a Star Wars twist to it.

20191204102720_1.jpg

Greedo or a distant relative

Controller play is often only better because the keyboard and mouse support ends up botched when the games are ported over. When its done well I've had no trouble playing games with a mouse and keyboard just fine. This game is doesn't work well on keyboard and mouse, because it was simply never designed with it in mind and Respawn is clear on that. The key binds are awkward, and the dodge mechanic makes it hard to do on a mouse and keyboard. There may be a way to remap them so they work better, but I simply found it was easier to switch to a controller.

This is probably the first time I've ever done so on anything but a fighting or driving game.

Ended up buying Origin Access Premier to play this (and NFS Heat) as I should be able to complete them within a couple months and save a few bucks.

I played through he first section last night and wow, SUPER impressed with this. As everyone has said, the atmosphere, graphics, music/sound is just an awesome Star Wars experience. I will agree with the above that keyboard/mouse doesn't feel great. I spent 30 minutes messing around with my Steam Controller trying to get it to work but failed. Didn't want to deal with trying to force Steam overlay with BPM so I gave up and ordered an XBox One wireless controller on 33% off Cyber Monday sale which should be arriving tonight. Looking forward to playing this properly!

Parrying works just fine. If you're playing it at above 60 fps lock your frame rate to 60 (or 30). They stupidly tied parry timing to frame rate so the higher your fps the less time you have (someone did the math earlier in the thread). At 60fps I can get parry timing down pretty well on Jedi Master. It, at least, feels like not getting a parry in is more my fault now vs the game.

Not sure I would consider that "just fine" but semi workable. I finished the game eventually though so doubt I will go back to it. The whole experience kept getting worse the more you play. At first I found it okay, but the nonsense save system just doesn't cut it. Frame rate limiting may have helped with the fighting at least. What a dumb oversight and makes it feel like a bad console port.

The little hitches and stuttering are really killing the game for me. Do they even test this bullshit before they release it? Digital Foundry showed even the consoles to be a stuttery mess especially the base console.

Wasn't that bad on my end. I noticed it somewhat but not enough to hurt gameplay. What specs are you running?

Last edited:
Not sure I would consider that "just fine" but semi workable. I finished the game eventually though so doubt I will go back to it. The whole experience kept getting worse the more you play. At first I found it okay, but the nonsense save system just doesn't cut it. Frame rate limiting may have helped with the fighting at least. What a dumb oversight and makes it feel like a bad console port.

I always find it surprising to see that kind of thing from western developers. Its expected from Japanese devs since most of them don't consider the PC when making a game. It does marr an otherwise great PC release. Hopefully it's something they can fix.

I freakin’ love this game. This is a must play for anyone remotely interested in hacking things to bits with a lightsaber. Use an xbox controller.

This is one of those games that was made for console but is of course better on PC.

Love the customization options for lightsabers. I wish there was more character customization but more outfits are unlocking. I really just want to look like Alec Guinness god damn it.

They needed a difficulty between story and jedi knight. Jedi Knight is brutal but really rewarding if you are quick at the controller. I just wish every battle with every creature wasn’t like the battle between Kirk and the Gorn in Jedi Knight mode. I stopped be able to learn new combos after Street Fighter II came out.

And anyone else ever notice the XY and AB buttons are reversed on the xBox controller from the classic SNES/Nintendo layout, so when you must frantically hit X i go for the wrong button every damn time! Crime against humanity.

In conclusion, this game, to me, is what the holidays are all about in a star wars year. Just totally gorging yourself on gratuitous Star Wars merch and content, beating the crap out of some dude over getting the last baby yoda plush at target, and then having your childhood memories of star wars decimated in a theater, while your body consumes toxic levels of imitation butter and salt. At least, that is how I celebrate...

Too bad the game is only playable with a controller, I thought they'd to at least a semi decent job on the PC version, apparently not. Thanks for the info though, stupid save system, dodge locked to fps, only playable with controller, makes this a hard skip for me, not even a wait for sale. I'd just get frustrated playing it no matter how cheap.

Too bad the game is only playable with a controller, I thought they'd to at least a semi decent job on the PC version, apparently not. Thanks for the info though, stupid save system, dodge locked to fps, only playable with controller, makes this a hard skip for me, not even a wait for sale. I'd just get frustrated playing it no matter how cheap.

You can use mouse and keyboard, but it seems like they did a crappy job implementing it. I only used a controller but I'm going off what others who tried both claim. Dodge locked to FPS seems to be a thing even for a controller. Come back next year, maybe they will patch that stuff out. Save system they won't, but if they get rid of the occasionally CTD it would make it far less annoying.

I guess I'm in the extreme minority that's just not really impressed with the game. The movement is janky as hell and just feels too twitchy even when making the smallest move. The platforming and sliding is just overkill and feels way way too gamey. Really there's a whole lot of other stuff I don't care for either but I'm too lazy to get into all of it.

So far I would have to give it a 5 out of 10 at best but I could bump that to 6 if it did not have all those occasional little stutters and hitches.

I freakin’ love this game. This is a must play for anyone remotely interested in hacking things to bits with a lightsaber. Use an xbox controller.

This is one of those games that was made for console but is of course better on PC.

Love the customization options for lightsabers. I wish there was more character customization but more outfits are unlocking. I really just want to look like Alec Guinness god damn it.

They needed a difficulty between story and jedi knight. Jedi Knight is brutal but really rewarding if you are quick at the controller. I just wish every battle with every creature wasn’t like the battle between Kirk and the Gorn in Jedi Knight mode. I stopped be able to learn new combos after Street Fighter II came out.

And anyone else ever notice the XY and AB buttons are reversed on the xBox controller from the classic SNES/Nintendo layout, so when you must frantically hit X i go for the wrong button every damn time! Crime against humanity.

In conclusion, this game, to me, is what the holidays are all about in a star wars year. Just totally gorging yourself on gratuitous Star Wars merch and content, beating the crap out of some dude over getting the last baby yoda plush at target, and then having your childhood memories of star wars decimated in a theater, while your body consumes toxic levels of imitation butter and salt. At least, that is how I celebrate...

100% agree with everything you said. I bought an Xbox One controller pretty much just to play this and do not regret that purchase (will use it for other games that the Steam controller doesn't work well with). I'm only on the 3rd planet but having a blast using the middle difficulty. Jedi is way too hard/frustrating for me and story is obviously a cakewalk. The game world experience (graphics/level design/music/sound) really make this.

PS4 or PC

Still trying to decide here. Leaning towards PS4 just for the controller. Heard Keyboard and Mouse is pretty tough to get a good lay out and I would have to add bluetooth capability to PC to use controller.

I don't have the Pro, but i can take advantage of HDR on my OLED. My PC can run at 1440p.

PS4 or PC

Still trying to decide here. Leaning towards PS4 just for the controller. Heard Keyboard and Mouse is pretty tough to get a good lay out and I would have to add bluetooth capability to PC to use controller.

I don't have the Pro, but i can take advantage of HDR on my OLED. My PC can run at 1440p.

It's far better looking on PC.

PS4 or PC

You don't have an Xbox One controller? There are just too many games out there that work much better with a controller that I can't even imagine not having one. I would probably say at least 75% of the gaming I do is with a controller.

Turning post-processing to medium eliminated any performance issues I had. Random stutters included. It's like getting a 20-30% performance boost and I can't tell any visual difference at all. I forget where I saw that advice, but they estimated that setting might not be implemented correctly. It doesn't seem to add anything visually obvious, but it's a performance killer and it was the source of my hitches.

It's far better looking on PC.
I find most games better looking on a PS4 Pro simply because of high quality quantum dot or OLED HDR televisions. Even with the polygon counts being less. PC monitors are in a really bad place right now compared to living room televisions.

You don't have an Xbox One controller? There are just too many games out there that work much better with a controller that I can't even imagine not having one. I would probably say at least 75% of the gaming I do is with a controller.

Yeah i'm a mouse keyboard guy for every PC game I've ever played.....up until I played Red Dead on the PC, which I'm still doing, but I can see where the controller would be better off. I also see this for Fallen Order. I have a desktop PC, and actually tried to sync my Xbox One controller up to it, only to find out that I don't have BlueTooth capability on this PC> or at least i don't think I do.

Yeah i'm a mouse keyboard guy for every PC game I've ever played.....up until I played Red Dead on the PC, which I'm still doing, but I can see where the controller would be better off. I also see this for Fallen Order. I have a desktop PC, and actually tried to sync my Xbox One controller up to it, only to find out that I don't have BlueTooth capability on this PC> or at least i don't think I do.
Bluetooth can certainly have some issues anyway so I would avoid it and just use the adapter if you get an Xbox One controller. I really despise having to even use keyboard and mouse for any games at this point as I love just kicking back and using the controller instead of being hunched over my desk.

Bluetooth can certainly have some issues anyway so I would avoid it and just use the adapter if you get an Xbox One controller. I really despise having to even use keyboard and mouse for any games at this point as I love just kicking back and using the controller instead of being hunched over my desk.
Might as well just play on a console at that point. The keyboard and mouse is about the only point of a PC. Just my thoughts.

Might as well just play on a console at that point. The keyboard and mouse is about the only point of a PC. Just my thoughts.
I'm not sure what you're thinking by saying the only point of a PC is the keyboard and mouse. Using a PC you can get vastly superior graphics and get the exact frame rate you want and that's a heck of a lot more important. Again many games just play a lot better with a controller so why not use it?

I'm not sure what you're thinking by saying the only point of a PC is the keyboard and mouse. Using a PC you can get vastly superior graphics and get the exact frame rate you want and that's a heck of a lot more important. Again many games just play a lot better with a controller so why not use it?
Superior graphics on an inferior display. It bothers me.

I only first used a controller earlier this year when I got my son a PS4 Pro. They are foreign to me. They are certainly more ergonomic and comfortable, but I can't aim at all with them.

Superior graphics on an inferior display. It bothers me.

I only first used a controller earlier this year when I got my son a PS4 Pro. They are foreign to me. They are certainly more ergonomic and comfortable, but I can't aim at all with them.

Just plug your PC into a better monitor of your choice. The issue here is your monitor, not PCs as a whole. You can get Quantum Dot monitors, HDR monitors and whatnot. You can even use your TV with it.

Just plug your PC into a better monitor of your choice. The issue here is your monitor, not PCs as a whole. You can get Quantum Dot monitors, HDR monitors and whatnot. You can even use your TV with it.
The problem being that they are $1,500 - $2,000. A bit much for a relatively small monitor. They still don't use VA or OLED panels. I also don't think Asus or Acer can compare picture quality wise to a Samsung QLED or LG OLED. Connecting a PC to a television is the only way to start nearing the quality of a console experience.

The sliding is annoying, but w/e. My only real complaint is why are all the loots cosmetic? No buffs in the lightsaber changes, or outfits and whatnot. Kind of takes the desire to explore away for me. It's a fun game, I just stopped trying to find all the bins.

A lot of us have been PC gaming on televisions for years. That's nothing new and it has never been easier.

This game has to have something going for it to override the thick EA hate that is largely justified. (Besides being Star Wars lol)

This is another one I'm on the fence about and see some decent deals. People have summed it up as "Star Wars does Darksiders" for all intents and purposes. I see some of the "PC port" complaints and it's not the end of the world for me if I have to break out a controller for this. Where do you all stand with this title now?

Last edited:
I got the X-box copy as a Christmas gift so I'll be trying it out at some point.

I really liked the game, but it wasn't Dark Souls / Sekiro level of quality gameplay. It has some distinct issues, but it was still a very solid game, and without a doubt the best star wars game to come out in a very long time. I'd suggest it's EA's only good Star Wars game released outside of Old Republic which was OK for a MMO.

I keep hearing "it's not Dark Souls", but to be frank, I doubt most people who wanted to play this game actually wanted Dark Souls.

I keep hearing "it's not Dark Souls", but to be frank, I doubt most people who wanted to play this game actually wanted Dark Souls.
It’s closer to Sekiro than dark souls. It’s more focused on parrying than dodging.

But it’s no where near Sekiro or DS in terms of skill depth.

Back