“Star Wars” Heading For Box Office Record Of $215 Million-Plus In US

How much did it cost to make? 100 million?

$200 million for the movie and another $250ish million for marketing and other stuff. Wikipedia has a few more details.

Also for everyone mad about the guy spoiling part of the movie, theres a thing called the report button you can use.

It's not really a big spoiler anyway, who actually watches Star Wars for the riveting plot twists? It's a big circus of a laser show in space.

You honestly think the BR will be out in just "a few months"? This isn't some shitty Adam Sandler movie that bombs at the box office and goes to DVD quickly so the studio can generate some revenue....
I wouldn't be surprised if DVD/BR release isn't until late summer/early fall 2016.
Hell, it takes HBO 10 months to release the DVD/BR boxset of each Game of Thrones season.

Given that has been the average for even high grossing disney films...yes I do. However even if it takes longer, It doesn't really bother me. There hasn't been a single movie to come out in at least 10 years that justified paying theater prices and putting up with the average movie patron for me.

It was a lot of fun, but they've taken a lot of liberties with established mythos. It's absolutely made for the new generation. Visually stunning, and the 3d really adds to it. I definitely take issue with some of the plot points but I went into it without high expectations and really, really enjoyed it. The acting is sooooo much better than the PT and I'm definitely waaay looking forward to the next 2.

I stuck with 2D. I didn't see any reason to pay extra since it wasn't filmed in 3D...plus the 2D screen, for some reason, has better sound than the other large screen it was showing on.

It's not really a big spoiler anyway, who actually watches Star Wars for the riveting plot twists? It's a big circus of a laser show in space.

Nerds trying to relive that feeling from the Empire Strikes back. It's like 'chasing the dragon' for Star Wars people.

As for the complaints about Leia being a 'bit rough', I quite like it. She did look like she was half in the bag and smoked a carton of cigarettes. It makes the plausibility of Han and Leia having a long term romance more believable. It'd take a rough woman to tame the stallion that Han Solo is.

Really hoping the next movie focuses on what happened between Kylo and Luke's new Jedi Order. That, for me, seems like it'd be an interesting story. Perhaps the next movie could go between explaining what happened during that time frame and Luke training Rey/Snoke training Kylo in 'present times'. The third can detail the final conflict between Jedi and Sith.

Nerds trying to relive that feeling from the Empire Strikes back. It's like 'chasing the dragon' for Star Wars people.

As for the complaints about Leia being a 'bit rough', I quite like it. She did look like she was half in the bag and smoked a carton of cigarettes. It makes the plausibility of Han and Leia having a long term romance more believable. It'd take a rough woman to tame the stallion that Han Solo is.

Really hoping the next movie focuses on what happened between Kylo and Luke's new Jedi Order. That, for me, seems like it'd be an interesting story. Perhaps the next movie could go between explaining what happened during that time frame and Luke training Rey/Snoke training Kylo in 'present times'. The third can detail the final conflict between Jedi and Sith.

I'm just wondering what they're going to do for Star Wars Episode X. They can only butcher the same story so many times.

I'm just wondering what they're going to do for Star Wars Episode X. They can only butcher the same story so many times.

By that point, I imagine they will have it similar to the Marvel Universe. New movies in the same universe but focused on different characters. I said that with subtle sarcasm, but it already seems to be the way they're going with the franchise. You've got Rogue One next year (which admittedly sounds like a cool premise), the young Han Solo movie, the Boba Fett project, etc.

Good movie for kids otherwise not much of a story. Was the only way for Solo to go?

Was enjoyable but overall weak story when you consider all the massive gaping holes in it. I liked it as a star wars fan but I was also filled a bunch of nostalgia stuff that I wonder if people who aren't a fan will care for.

Admin please edit above for spoilers, it won't let me and I'm REALLY sorry.

Kyle will show you the true power of the Dark Side. And don't feel too bad, I don't know why spoiler tags can't be made like the way you used, it makes more sense to me as it's a similar syntax to other tags.

Also:

That was my biggest pet peeve. These are supposed to be fanatical storm troopers, and she's a captain, so should be even more fanatical than normal, but she's still able to be intimidated with a blaster to the face.

I don't know, it really made me perturbed.

George, why did you sell Star Wars for only 4 billion?

This isn't the movie George would have made. And while the movie wasn't blow-your-socks-off-awesome, it is pretty good, and it is arguably better than the one he would have made.

I'm with the fan boys that claim it's not the same without George, but his absence may not necessarily be bad for the series.

This isn't the movie George would have made. And while the movie wasn't blow-your-socks-off-awesome, it is pretty good, and it is arguably better than the one he would have made.

I'm with the fan boys that claim it's not the same without George, but his absence may not necessarily be bad for the series.

The prequels weren't the same with George. Things change. I'd argue that first 3 had better openings, but this one...well I don't want to say anything that might spoil it for those that haven't seen it, but it's pretty good.

The ending is more of a prologue for another movie, but that's OK, because we already got the ending a few minutes earlier. It's almost like the previews for the next episode of a serial/TV series.

I don't know what George would have done. I'm certain he wouldn't have brought it in at just over 2 hours. If the prequels had been as tightly edited, I think we'd probably like them a lot more.

The prequels weren't the same with George. Things change. I'd argue that first 3 had better openings, but this one...well I don't want to say anything that might spoil it for those that haven't seen it, but it's pretty good.

The ending is more of a prologue for another movie, but that's OK, because we already got the ending a few minutes earlier. It's almost like the previews for the next episode of a serial/TV series.

I don't know what George would have done. I'm certain he wouldn't have brought it in at just over 2 hours. If the prequels had been as tightly edited, I think we'd probably like them a lot more.

George probably would of done what was best to create toy sales.

And JJ/Disney didn't?

Lol they took it to the next level, example

"Lets make Phasma a girl and in different colored armor so we can sell more toys, despite her screen time being less than the how long a high school boy last his first time".

Lol they took it to the next level, example

"Lets make Phasma a girl and in different colored armor so we can sell more toys, despite her screen time being less than the how long a high school boy last his first time".

I'm thinking *hoping* she'll get fleshed out more in the sequel. There was a lot of groundwork and catch up to cover with a lot of characters so I can understand why she didn't have much screen time. However, I wished they would've saved her character for later installments instead of shoehorning her into the first movie. Her capture scenes really made her feel inept.

They should've had a regular storm trooper be captured and forced to lower the shield, but then Phasma come in and force the heroes to flee. Perhaps even have her go toe to toe in a physical confrontation with Chewie to show off her physical strength. Probably would've been a better first impression than having her thrown into a garbage chute off-screen.

Admin please edit above for spoilers, it won't let me and I'm REALLY sorry.

Just FYI, there is PREVIEW POST button, please use it next time before doing something like this. I have banned all the others pulling this spoiler bullshit.

Disappointed with the movie. It was enjoyable to see but it definitely won't give you that same feeling that you had if you had when you saw the original the first time. I think this movie would have gotten bad reviews if not for the damage George Lucas did to the franchise with the prequel trilogy. This one feels like a Star Wars movie and that is it's saving grace, it is also it's failure to anyone who watched the original trilogy in theaters when they were released because it's just too similar to 4. I hope they improve it with the next movie and move in a new direction with some new material, not just rehash everything again.

you're selectively choosing titles...Rian Johnson is an excellent choice...he's the guy who also directed Looper...the guy who's directing Episode 9 (Colin Trevorrow) doesn't have much of a resume so I was always more concerned about him

Not really, I enjoyed Brick a lot, and Looper was decent. I don't think either of them are anything like Star Wars but we'll see. I am also more concerned about Episode 9.

I feel that we put the originals on a pedestal they are not actually worthy of being on. I love the films but they are a mess as well. Something held up in such reverence it is no wonder any other film cant come close. There is no possible way for any movie to ever do it justice. It is what happens when there is such a long time gap between movies and their continuations. No movie is without sin and could be picked apart. I personally found the new one to be entertaining and did give me that star warsy feel that the prequels did not. And remember, there is a different group of kids they are trying to grab, a much different group than there was in the late 70s.

I feel that we put the originals on a pedestal they are not actually worthy of being on. I love the films but they are a mess as well. Something held up in such reverence it is no wonder any other film cant come close. There is no possible way for any movie to ever do it justice. It is what happens when there is such a long time gap between movies and their continuations. No movie is without sin and could be picked apart. I personally found the new one to be entertaining and did give me that star warsy feel that the prequels did not. And remember, there is a different group of kids they are trying to grab, a much different group than there was in the late 70s.

Empire is pretty damn good. Of all the movies, it holds up the best (though it helps that you can quickly resolve the cliffhanger). You're not going to get the wonder of seeing Star Wars when you were a kid, cause you're not a kid and great SFX are everywhere. I think JJ did an admirable job and the fact that it's only 2 hours helps a lot.

Liked the first hour, thought the rest was terrible. Too many plot holes for me.

Liked the first hour, thought the rest was terrible. Too many plot holes for me.

You can go through every one of the movies and find a ton of holes. The way I judge the quality of the Star Wars movies and even other movies that are the same type of swashbuckling style tale... is by looking at the choices made by the characters. Cause the stories are going to have holes and low level deus ex machina moments.
Do the Characters all act exactly as you would expect them to ?

Empire is the best movie for me because none of the characters do anything you can't justify and don't expect them to do. In all of the prequels you can point to scenes that are just head scratching... and I think that is what people pick up on with out realizing it, everyone just does things that make no sense for them other then it forwards the Story somehow.

The new one is not on the level of Empire of course... however I felt all the main characters at least where true to themselves in every choice they where given. Writing like that always makes the acting seem better then it is as well. (and the mains did a good job on that front themselves as well)

To me the last half was stronger. I felt that most scenes prior to the Rey/Finn meeting could be shortened or dropped. I'm not sure how far into the movie that was.

Unfortunately, they do not. Not for me. Perhaps 8 will reveal more, but I'm not holding my breath.

For me all the main ones did. The only ones choices I questioned where at least in this film minor... I do hope Phasma gets something to do in 8 though. How depressing that they had Gwendoline do so much PR for the screen time she was given in this one... and ya the choices they had her make are going to be hard to undo if they want to up her cool factor in the next one.

Should have titled it: the feminist awakens.
Kylo Ren also is a big cry baby lol.

Rey learns ways of the force by falling asleep during a saber fight. I saw the prequels yesterday and with the exception of Phantom Menace the other two were better than this latest release.

It was an extremely flawed cookie cutter rehashed movie just like Star Trek from JJ. I am hoping things will improve but not holding out my breath.

It is a really fantastic movie and I loved going to see it on my own. I had the perfect seat for me but, I had to move because in my ears, at the beginning of the movie, all I could hear was crunch, crunch, munch, crunch from the person behind me. I mean, I was not upset but, could they not have chowed down before the movie started with the 20 minutes or so of previews we were subjected too?

I thought the movie was excellent. I've seen it twice already. I thought the new cast members were quite good.

It is a really fantastic movie and I loved going to see it on my own. I had the perfect seat for me but, I had to move because in my ears, at the beginning of the movie, all I could hear was crunch, crunch, munch, crunch from the person behind me. I mean, I was not upset but, could they not have chowed down before the movie started with the 20 minutes or so of previews we were subjected too?

That I don't mind compared to people that will check their smart phones during movies distracting poor Seymour away from the movie.

There were two guys within my peripheral vision that were doing this during Star Wars. :mad:

That I don't mind compared to people that will check their smart phones during movies distracting poor Seymour away from the movie.

There were two guys within my peripheral vision that were doing this during Star Wars. :mad:

The guy sitting in front of us at the theater for SW was playing on his phone and it had a klingon insignia as his background lol

Loved the movie. As for those complaining about not getting the same feeling as the originals: get over it.

The original series were the first to really bring it with music and over all presence, multiple worlds, fun and interesting alien types, a crazy plot twist (that was shoe horned in lol) and a seemingly connected universe.

Back